I still say Vertigo will be a massive hit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
I posted the note found below on October 8 in another thread. I'm still stuck at home, and now I've taken great interest in the radio play of Vertigo. I must be pretty pathetic in doing this, but it takes my mind off lots of pain, so I continue...On Tuesday, yet another "POP" station announced earlier in the day that they were going to "premier" U2's brand new single Vertigo. Sure enough, they played it, and this corny DJ says "I can't wait for U2 to drop that bomb on us next month".

Regardless, the song is doing exactly what I thought it would do when I wrote the note below. It is #2 on Modern Rock, #10 on Mainstream Rock, and #19 on Adult Radio with the "Airpower" moniker. I heard Vertigo yesterday, Wednesday, on six different stations, three of them definitely bubblegum/hip-hop formats.

With the song flying up three of the usually "slow-moving" charts for Billboard, I just cannot figure out why it's stuck on the Hot 100. However, like others have mentioned, we don't have a video yet (which will make it to #1 on VH-1 and maybe MTV2, which still actually plays videos and was big on Beautiful Day), I still am hearing DJ's and friends saying "the brand new U2 single Vertigo...", and the Marketing is just beginning. Another thing I've noticed as I listen to all these radio stations is that they are playing all kind of U2 songs in general right now. I am glad that's happening, because I can't stand 90% of the crap that's on the airwaves right now. Anyway, Vertigo is certainly crossing over in the Knoxville/Asheville/Tri Cities area of TN and NC, which are not necessarily strong markets for U2.

...Posted on October 8 in another thread...

I am in the unfortunate situation of being off work awaiting back surgery. That has me listening to U2 non-stop. I also have been listening to the radio for the first time in years. Here in the Mtns of East Tennessee, I do get radio stations from Knoxville to Bristol to Asheville.

One station that is in the Alternative/Rock category has been playing Vertigo a lot and singing it's praises. Yesterday, on "Electric 94.9", which plays hip-hop & bubblegum pop non-stop, they announced around mid-day that they would be playing U2's new single at 8:00 PM, and they even billed it as an "exclusive first chance" to hear it.

After they played it, they went off about it. Said they'd be putting that into heavy rotation.

I think this is happening in many more markets than the relatively small one I'm in. U2 has raced up two charts, modern rock and mainstream rock. If you look at the usual movement of songs on either chart, it's usually not very volatile, with songs moving up or down slowly. I believe U2 will hit #1 on both charts.

Then, the video comes out, as well as the single. The song will cross over into the mainstream, and I really believe this is a better single than Beautiful Day. It's perfect at just over 3 minutes, has a great hook and can appeal to the masses.

BD made it to #1 on the Dance/Club chart with the remix. I expect the same thing to happen with Vertigo.

And, don't forget, the "$10M" marketing push has not really even started. I hated the title at first, but after hearing DJ's talking about the album and the full title is spoken, I actually think the name alone will help the album get recognition. The "puns" like "Vertigo explodes onto the charts", etc., will be used in all the reviews, and most reviews will be positive and we'll have many, many catch phrases about this album.

This is the record that will truly establish U2 as one of the top 2 or 3 bands of all time...perhaps even the best ever...history will tell....Posted on October 8 in another thread...

Bump for the beLIEVers

Well, the crossover continues, we have a top 40 hit, advances on every chart, and the video is still to come, ipod deals to keep it in the news, and the song is just great. VJ's even in my locale love this song and I think the ultimate result will be grammy(s), many live performances to come through the end of the year, and a higher ultimate Hot 100 chart position for Vertigo than for Beautiful day. Patience is a virture, and we Chart fans will get our due from this album!

People

Vertigo is dying...

This reminds me of the hype for Pop. Remember, Pop had HUGE, HUGE, HUGE expectations and Discoteque, the first single, took off for a little while then finished as a mild hit.

The same thing is happening to Vertigo..

HTDAAB has HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE expectations and unfortunately, Vertigo isn't a hit, though it's a good song.

HTDAAB better have a better second single or third single, like AB had with Mysterious Ways and One. Not like Pop, with Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth and Please, which didn't get any airplay.

Face it, U2 is not a top 40 band anymore, no matter how hard they try with commericals and marketing.

joerags said:
People

Vertigo is dying...

This reminds me of the hype for Pop. Remember, Pop had HUGE, HUGE, HUGE expectations and Discoteque, the first single, took off for a little while then finished as a mild hit.

HTDAAB has HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE expectations and unfortunately, Vertigo isn't a hit, though it's a good song.

HTDAAB better have a better second single or third single, like AB had with Mysterious Ways and One. Not like Pop, with Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth and Please, which didn't get any airplay.

Face it, U2 is not a top 40 band anymore, no matter how hard they try with commericals and marketing.

???

Discotheque was a HUGE hit for the band - made it to #10 on the Hot 100 chart. It is one of only 6 U2 songs EVER to break into the top 10 on this chart! The song and the video were very successful, as was the case for the follow up single, Staring At The Sun. I'm not sure where you were, but SATS also got a TON of airplay and did very well on the charts.

It's way too early to say what is going to happen with Vertigo, but how can you say it is "dying"? The video isn't even out yet and the song is in the Top 40. It has moved up the charts every week. It has been more successful on every chart (other than the Hot 100) than ANYTHING off of ATYCLB. And it is moving up the Hot 100 much faster than anything on ATYCLB did.

Wait until the video is released, and the song starts to move down the charts before saying the song is "dying"...

Last edited:
joerags said:
People

Vertigo is dying...

So I guess only three people in the world ever heard Beautiful Day?

Wasn't discoteque number 1 in Britain???????

Originally posted by joerags
People

Vertigo is dying...

I hate when a poster refers to anyone as "people" as if they are some voice of infinite wisdom calming the masses. :rolleyes:

"Vertigo" is not dying. It just broke into the Top 40 in the U.S. It's #2 on the Modern Rock charts and may eventually hit #1. It's back to #1 on iTunes. It's already in the top 20 for airplay in many countries. This is not "Discotheque". "Vertigo" is a rocking song, but this time, people like it and continue to like it. "Discotheque" received some wicked backlash that really hurt "Pop". I don't see this happening here. "Vertigo" may not be a top 10 hit in the U.S., but then, U2 have had few of those. It's doing fine and it continues to climb the charts. I see no indication of it "dying". So please, check your facts before declaring us "people" as erroneous.

joerags said:
People

Vertigo is dying...

These are the latest figures on Vertigo's rise in the US charts!

The Billboard Hot 100 - Vertigo - #39
Hot 100 Airplay - Vertigo - #39
Top Digital Tracks - Vertigo - #4
Modern Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #2
Mainstream Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #6
Adult Top 40 - Vertigo - #18

It is already defeating Beautiful Day in every category at the same time that BD was in its 4th week of release.

The only reason that Discotheque was a top 10 hit was because sales at the time accounted for 50% of chart position. In the initial week of release for the CD single, it sold very well hitting the singles sales chart at #2. This is why it made it into the top 10. When it came to airplay, it peaked at #22.

This is what bothers me so much. Vertigo is on the chart solely from airplay as seen by both #39 on Hot 100 and Top airplay charts. But it is also obvious that Billboard is tracking digital sales because they have a frickin chart for it. So why in the world is this not averaged into the Hot 100 chart???

Not just for U2, but this would be one of the best things to ever happen to the Hot 100 because it would give more attention to rock, alternative, indie groups and singer-songwriters instead of the whole top 25 being exclusively rap and hip-hop.

I mean if online sales for Vertigo were averaged in there like normal single sales, they very well could be in the top 25 or so right now.

I still am sticking with my post and last statement

Vertigo is already a massive hit, folks. Big deal about i-pod. We have no video, no real commercial single release - that counts, anyways, and very slow, but building, cross-over airplay. Timing is the only enemy here, as the song could reach miss it's peak while one of the better songs on the album comes out too soon during this slow push to the top.

What better problem to have? A solid, rockin' top 40 tune that gets jacked by an even better tune from the same album? So, I say it's a massive hit in it's own way, and this is the album that will finally put U2 at the top of rock bands in history. I know that's a big argument and there are plently of worthy players, but this one is it, IMO. When you step back, look objectively at the WORLD stage, and measure releavance, longevity, impact on music industry, live performance legacy, a few knockdowns always followed by huge rebounds, and now this "best album ever"...

And yes, another prediction already made by someone on this very board...Eminimen will get knocked of by U2 at #1 when HTDAAB debutes. Funny how just several years ago Rolling Stone was proclaiming Eminem as a Music God for his movie and innovative songs...blah, blah, blah...but now he's already washed up, replaying old lyrics on new songs with little innovation left at all...he's about as good a Weirld Al Yankovic now, except that M actually still takes himself seriously.

Cheers to the chart data keepers and the fun that comes with it! This is gonna be one hell of a ride!

It's been released as officially as it's going to be in the U.S. because we won't get a commercial single. But what people are forgetting is that the video is coming out, which will most likely coincide with a broader release to top 40 radio getting it more crossover airplay, and then many corporate radio stations (ie. ClearChannel owned) wait to see how first week sales go and then increase or decrease airplay accordingly. So with good first week sales, which looks like it should get, should bring more airplay and better chart position. All I know is that it's doing better than Beautiful Day so far. If it continues on to BD's heights remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom