I am worried about U2:18 chart postion in UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
i honestly feel that U2 could struggle to even make the top 4 next week in the album charts. There are new albums from Oasis, Beatles, Westlife, George Michael + other's which could sell well.

I have not seen any advertising for the album at all anywhere and even spoke to my freinds about it and they were not even aware that this album was being released! where as everyone know Oasis have their greatest hits out.

I feel that U2 don't seem to bothered about chart postions or sale figures for this album and just wanted to end the contract with island records.

If i was to predict i would say that U2 will enter the charts at No 4 behind beatles, oasis and westlife which would be a dissapointment.

any thoughts?

Im worried too but in not sweating over it. We should expect this not to top the charts but who careers , its a best of.

Any other week it'd probably chart #1, but with a week liek this it won't, but that won't reduce it's sales which should still be good throughout the season.

from hmv site

Artist Albums Chart:

#1 Oasis stop the clocks (new)
#2 U2 18 (new)
#3 Beatles love (new)
#4 Kooks insid in/inside out
#5 Westlife love album (new)

Pre-oder albums chart:

Oasis #1
U2 #2
:
Beatles #10

I imagine #3 or #4

The Beatles albums is remixes is it not, and Westlife are more of a singles group. George Michael was out last week I believe, leaving Oasis as #1

will the 2 different version count as 2 different albums on the chart? i mean say will the cd chart at 4 and the cd/dvd at 9 ? or will they be added together which would mean a better chart placing?

andyuk said:
will the 2 different version count as 2 different albums on the chart? i mean say will the cd chart at 4 and the cd/dvd at 9 ? or will they be added together which would mean a better chart placing?

I think that the two versions will be counted as one album in the charts but I'm not sure.

From BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6164596.stm

==========
'Super' groups

HMV's Gennaro Castaldo said U2 - whose album features two new tracks - were likely to be the eventual victors in sales terms.

"Christmas starts here as far as music retailers are concerned, as it's not everyday that some of the world's biggest ever super groups have albums out.

"It's going to be close to see who comes out on top, but we reckon Oasis's Stop The Clocks will go to number one by the end of the week, though U2 may look to sell more copies of 18 Singles over the next month, or so."
===========

i am more worry about music quality than albums sellingst or charts positions as i am a fan tha loves music and not wanting to became a selling manager or a marketer, but that's me...

Although it's Oasis's first Best Of, there aren't any new tracks on the album. The Beatles Love album are all remixed tracks. U2 are the only ones with 2 new songs. Might help swing things...

jamaral said:
i am more worry about music quality than albums sellingst or charts positions as i am a fan tha loves music and not wanting to became a selling manager or a marketer, but that's me...

Keep in mind the forum you are in. This forum is all about charts and sales. So naturally these are the big issues here.

Quality has a place, but that's discussed ad nauseum in other forums. :)

I think "U218" wins out eventually (even if "only" #2 the first week) because it has the two new songs. In contrast, the Oasis album has nothing new. So while there is some appeal to having a nice "Best Of" collection of songs, if one already has the songs on other releases, buying this "Best Of" is a bit silly (unless one is a completist). At least U2 offers something new, which is nice. :yes: And I think that will make buying this album more appealing. Typically "Best Of" releases from existing artists do offer something new to entice buyers. So I'm a bit surprised Oasis didn't at least toss in something (some unreleased track, even if it's "garbage" in their minds).

On the other hand, this is U2's third compilation versus Oasis' first, which must count for something as well... For that reason, I think Oasis will win out.

andyuk said:

U don't want to know!

:lol:

Traditionally Oasis storm to the top of the UK charts for the first week then sink without trace from there on in! Plus like doctorwho says, 'Stop the Clocks' offers no new tracks and the vast majority of the songs are from 'Definitely Maybe' and 'Morning Glory' (ie. The two Oasis albums that you're most likely to own). Add on top of that that Oasis has a fanatically loyal fanbase that tend to own all their albums and singles (to get the B-sides) and it's well known that Noel Gallagher didn't even want a Best Of to be released and it adds up to a likelihood that in terms of overall sales U2 will win out, simply because of those two new songs that fans will want to buy.

does any1 know what the 1st week sales were for oasis last studio album 'dont believe the truth' i seriously doubt they were more than bombs 200k.

Wikipedia claims DBTT sold just under 238,000 in the UK in its first week but that needs citation so it might not be accurate. (You know what Wikipedia can be like!)

im surprised at that, (tho as u say it is wikipedia).

i think its safe to say tho that DBTT has sold less than 1M copies in UK, and bomb must be at nearly 1.3 by now

:yes: The same Wikipedia article says that current DBTT sales figures stand at 915,000 in the UK but , again, that needs citation.

Zootlesque said:
I'm not worried at all. U218 Singles could be a massive failure for all I care.

if this album is a massive failure, id be worried that, that could have a big effect on the next albums sales / singles radio play / U2's general popularity.

i think theyd hav ebeen better off without releasing it. also all its doing is taking sales off the other 2 best ofs.

ye i saw the DBTT wikipedia. i dont see how, whats the story is claimed to have sold 20M, while looking at the sales from individual countiries (4M US, 4M UK and about 4M from the others) i dont see how it could be anywhere near that.

Dont count on it being a failure...it wont be the next Joshua Tree but you can certainly expect it will outsell everything up to the Joshua Tree pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom