I am Disappointed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why? What does it matter? Seriously do people need one million other people to purchase something before they will consider it good? You either like it or you dont. Stuff everyone else.

PS This isnt specific to just you Dalton. Many people have been making similar comments to yours and I find it odd. :huh:

Last edited:
I agree with beli....

Even when they sell 10 albums...it's about me liking something or not. Don't care what other people think or how popular they are...as long as I like it!!

beli said:
Why? What does it matter? Seriously do people need one million other people to purchase something before they will consider it good? You either like it or you dont. Stuff everyone else.

PS This isnt specific to just you Dalton. Many people have been making similar comments to yours and I find it odd. :huh:

Do you find it odd when people are disappointed that their football team did not win last Sunday's game or did not make the playoffs?

This has nothing to do with how much one likes the band, its about the game of charts and sales and many people enjoying seeing their favorite artist do well at that game.

STING2 said:
Do you find it odd when people are disappointed that their football team did not win last Sunday's game or did not make the playoffs?

Given I dont even know what a "playoff" is that should answer your question. :wink:

Im not interested in sports results cause Im not the slightest bit competitive.

Ok, so this is a penis thing then, yes? I will leave you guys to it. Have fun. :wave:

beli said:

Given I dont even know what a "playoff" is that should answer your question. :wink:

Im not interested in sports results cause Im not the slightest bit competitive.

Ok, so this is a penis thing then, yes? I will leave you guys to it. Have fun. :wave:

Are you aware of the name of this particular forum and its description?

The business side of U2: All the info you ever wanted to know about the sales and success on music charts of U2's albums around the world.

Yep, but Daltons talking about his emotions and feelings thats a different kettle of fish. I have read your statistical reports before and have not responded cause Im not interested (no offense). But thats not what Daltons post is about.

Its a beautiful summers day here today and I dont want to spend it arguing. Enjoy your fun :wave:

You've never heard of a "play-off"? Wow... I mean, I'm not interested in a lot of things too, but I at least like to keep abreast of various topics as I feel it makes me a more well-rounded person. For example, I have no interest in buying Jessica Simpson's last album, but I know who she is and how well her last album sold. :)

Getting back to the topic... I can understand the disappointment a bit. Sometimes we hear all this hype and our hopes are raised.

However, is there really that much difference between selling 840,000 copies vs. 900,000 copies? We must put things in perspective. :)

For example, if HTDAAB sold 500,000 copies after all this hype, it would have still debuted at #1, but there'd be reason for concern. After all, that sum is much higher than what ATYCLB sold its first week. Given the success of ATYCLB, the iPod/iTune commercials, the TV appearances and the marketing, to only see a slight increase in sales would have been a disappointment, even though it's a large number and a #1 debut. Sure, we might try to spin it as a success in this forum (#1 debut, larger sales, etc.), but truth is, it wasn't large enough.

Fortunately, in reality, the album sold almost double that of ATYCLB! So when examined from that perspective, clearly this is a tremendous hit! These are huge numbers. The fact that it didn't quite hit 900,000 is moot. It would have been nice, but didn't happen - big deal. It achieved all the other goals (#1 debut, doubling ATYCLB's opening week, etc.).

Compare this to your favorite sports team. You want them to win and win big in a particular game. Instead, your team wins but doesn't crush the competion. You're a bit disappointed at the relative closeness of the score, but you are ultimately VERY happy to have your team win.

If sports aren't your thing, how about movies? A movie you pretty much know you'll love is opening. You want it to have a massive first opening weeked. Well, it hits #1 and opens VERY big, but not quite as large as you hoped. In North America, let's say you were hoping for a $100M opening, but it only reached $90M. $90M in 3 days is an amazing sum!! So it didn't reach $100M... it still performed exceptionally and is clearly a hit.

That's how you need to view this - not as huge as you hoped, but still monstrous. Sales that huge don't come often! This is the third highest debut of the year (and most likely will stay that way as I don't see any mega-releases coming). And these type of debut weeks especially don't come for a 25 year old band!

Furthermore, CD's, unlike movies, can have a far longer shelf-life. Movies often see 50% drops each weekend and quickly fade. However, a CD can linger on the charts for a year or two! If HTDAAB produces several hit songs, it could bounce right back up the charts after seeing some drops. The tour will help keep the album going strong. A TV appearance can give the album a boost. So, it's very possible HTDAAB might match the sales of ATYCLB - and that would definitely be an impressive defeat. Not many artists can claim back-to-back 4M+ selling albums!

Therefore, push that disappointment aside and realized just what U2 were able to accomplish! We are definitely looking at something special! :yes:

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
You've never heard of a "play-off"? Wow... I mean, I'm not interested in a lot of things too, but I at least like to keep abreast of various topics as I feel it makes me a more well-rounded person.

Im guessing it has something to do with gridiron? I dont live in the USA.

Sport, cd sales, movie tickets sales, penis measuring competitions its all the same to me. I dont care how much money a movie, or a cd, makes. Most of my favourite movies are not huge blockbuster ones. Which is why I shouldnt be in this forum. Have fun guys :wave:

Beli! I thought you were going outside to play in the nice summer weather there! Stop posting! LOL!

There's a lot of truth to your thoughts. Does an album/movie/song/artist have to sell big to be enjoyed? Of course not! And, I guarantee you that everyone of us here knows that and feels that way. Did we like U2 less because "Pop" didn't sell that well? Hardly!

We are here because we like the business side of U2 - and that includes numbers. And one can feel disappointment with numbers. Now, I had very low expectations. I didn't get the feeling that the "average Joe" was buying into this hype. As such, I was hoping HTDAAB sold at least as well as ATYCLB. I'm more than happy to say I was quite wrong and I'm very happy with these numbers. Furthermore, when FOX erroneously reported 750,000 or less, I was thrilled to see them wrong! I love FOX TV, but I abhor FOX news - worst news station ever. So seeing them wrong on something so trivial was good. ;)

Still, if numbers aren't for you and bore you, then yes, this is not the forum to be in. It's like going into "Free Your Mind" and being shocked that they are discussing politics. :wink:

Oh, and they have "play-offs" in many sports around the world. "Gridiron" refers mostly to American football - but play-offs are not unique to football. Play-offs are "post-season" games. The best teams during the regular season meet and play to ultimately determine that year's champion. This is called post-season play or the play-offs. The Super Bowl, which I know is broadcast around the world, is really nothing more than a play-off game.

doctorwho said:
Still, if numbers aren't for you and bore you, then yes, this is not the forum to be in.

I'm an accountant. lol

doctorwho said:
It's like going into "Free Your Mind" and being shocked that they are discussing politics. :wink:

Seriously, I didn't know this thread was in this forum. I access interference through the most recent post search thingie. I can usually fish Stings & Martys :)hug: ) threads out and avoid them cause theyre obviously about stats. But Daltons sounded like many other posts over in the musical forums, which I do frequent.

Just so you know, I wasnt wandering in to this forum deliberately. Thatll teach me to read the post and not the forum it was posted in. ie context

Well if Dalton wasnt disappointed before he posted he sure will be now with the way this thread has gone because of moi. Sorry Dalton :hug:

doctorwho said:
Oh, and they have "play-offs" in many sports around the world. "Gridiron" refers mostly to American football - but play-offs are not unique to football. Play-offs are "post-season" games. The best teams during the regular season meet and play to ultimately determine that year's champion. This is called post-season play or the play-offs. The Super Bowl, which I know is broadcast around the world, is really nothing more than a play-off game.

Thanks, lol. I dont think we get the Super Bowl on the tv here. Gridiron is viewed as truely weird here. Stop, start, stop, start. I think we get the final game of the USA basketball though. Maybe. lol.

Poor Dalton. I owe you a chocky mate :hug:

beli said:

beli, you should never leave us guys alone with our penis things. It is never as much fun...

The sales of this album does not affect my feelings toward the album at all. I was excited to see a really good ROCK album do so well in the charts. It would be a great sign for better music. Of course 840k is nothing to sniff at, but with all the rumors of 900k, I am a little disappointed.

Yes, it would be nice if U2 wiped all that rap crap and pretty girl boy band stuff off the face of the earth but I can't see it happening.

840,000 copies, is that in the USA or worldwide? I havent even heard it played on the radio over here.

beli, you should never leave us guys alone with our penis things. It is never as much fun...

lol. I will refrain. :|

beli said:
Yes, it would be nice if U2 wiped all that rap crap and pretty girl boy band stuff off the face of the earth but I can't see it happening.

840,000 copies, is that in the USA or worldwide? I havent even heard it played on the radio over here.

That is just the US. Vertigo isn't getting much airplay downunder?

Dalton said:

That is just the US. Vertigo isn't getting much airplay downunder?

Not here. But I live in a heavy metal basin :| Well it used to be. Its all pretty girls and boys and rap now.

Our charts are based purely on sales. Airplay doesnt come into it like it does in the USA.

Just checked. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb has gone platinum ie 70,000 copies. If you add that to your 850,000 then you have 900,000 odd. :wink:

There you go. I wrote some stats. Are you impressed :hyper:

Dalton said:
BTW Beli, how do you pronounce your name?

Is it like Belly?

Spot on :up: Its short for Belinda. I used to work for Oxfam and many international people have a difficult time pronouncing Belinda. But most can say Beli.

Thats not very stastical though. lol

beli said:

Spot on :up: Its short for Belinda. I used to work for Oxfam and many international people have a difficult time pronouncing Belinda. But most can say Beli.

Thats not very stastical though. lol

It may not be statistical, but it certainly is hot.

Please if you aren't the hottest woman in the world, don't tell me. I don't know if I could take it.

First they told me Santa Clause wasn't real. Then my wife tells me that women do not run around naked slapping each other with towels in the locker room.

Any woman named beli is gonna be hot. Case closed. :wink:

Dalton said:

It may not be statistical, but it certainly is hot.

Please if you aren't the hottest woman in the world, don't tell me. I don't know if I could take it.

First they told me Santa Clause wasn't real. Then my wife tells me that women do not run around naked slapping each other with towels in the locker room.

Any woman named beli is gonna be hot. Case closed. :wink:

Oh, I'm sure Beli is hot - that's a given. :yes:

And while women may not chase after each other naked in locker rooms, they do fall into each other, fondling breasts in the process (ala "Seinfeld"). So that should help appease your Santa Claus disillusion. :wink:

Lastly, Beli, if you like numbers (being an accountant and all), then it's just a matter of time before we get you hooked in this forum. One of us...one of us... Hey, we aren't quite as scary as the PLEBA women - close but not quite. ;)

doctorwho said:

Oh, I'm sure Beli is hot - that's a given. :yes:

And while women may not chase after each other naked in locker rooms, they do fall into each other, fondling breasts in the process (ala "Seinfeld"). So that should help appease your Santa Claus disillusion. :wink:

Thanks DrWHo. You are a good person.

beli said:
Seriously, I didn't know this thread was in this forum. I access interference through the most recent post search thingie. I can usually fish Stings & Martys :)hug: ) threads out and avoid them cause theyre obviously about stats. But Daltons sounded like many other posts over in the musical forums, which I do frequent.

Oh, so you don't like my posts/threads. :|
Well, how did we meet then...? :huh:

:hug:

*has nothing substantial to contribute to this thread*

:wave:

Marty

I think this is the funniest thread I've seen on this particular forum.

*has absolutely nothing whatsoever to contribute*

:laugh:

After this, who can say numbers/statistics forum is boring?

To contribute something, I think only press hinted at 900 000/million number. I'm not obsessed with numbers (no offense to the regulars here) but it's impressive they virtually doubled ATYCLB's first week and that they, in their 40s and almost 25 years of career, beat the younger competition.

(this internation person knows how Belinda, and therefore Beli, is spelled)

Back
Top Bottom