how was u2 catalog sales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol! Yeah, U2's catalog sales are good, not fabulous.....The Best Of 1980-1990 is in the Top 200 every week, and I'm sure that the followup Best Of and JT are selling over 1,000 copies a week here in the states.

Best of 80-90 has been a consistent seller in the top 50 or top 100. Best 90-00 fared not as well. The Best Of albums will also affect catolgue sales of the older albums as buyers may buy the greatest hits first. JT was selling an average of 2000 copies per week back on 01 and 02 and this shot to over 10k following their superbowl experience. JT would have a strong catalogue sales in the late 80s and early 90s. Sting 2 is the expert here.

Somehow, I don't think ATYCLB will do well as a back catogue either - has this charted at all

ATYCLB charted on the Catalogue Chart.....but it entered right before or around the time of the new Best Of.....I think it will still do ok though....partly due to "Elevation" and "Walk On" not being on the most recent Best Of and due to the fact that it is a really strong album in its own right.

Did you know that Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction sells around 6000 copies a week (possibly in the US alone - not sure about that)

When I had the SoundScan reports, the 80's "Best Of" often sold very well, especially during any "peak" U2 activity - like a new hit album, touring, TV performance, etc. It continues to sell around 3500 copies a week and is U2's best Catalog seller in the U.S.

JT pops in and out of the Top 200. It appears to sell around 1500-2000 copies per week. With the release of HTDAAB, I would imagine JT will go to 2000+ copies a week.

One would think that AB would also be a big seller, but it often floats outside the Top 200, suggesting sales of less than 2000 copies/week. Of course, it too pops in the Top 200 on certain occasions. My guess is 1000-1500 copies a week.

Unfortunately, I no longer get the SoundScan data ( :( ) so we might have to estimate based on past SoundScan data and chart positions (from Billboard).

doctorwho said:
One would think that AB would also be a big seller, but it often floats outside the Top 200, suggesting sales of less than 2000 copies/week. Of course, it too pops in the Top 200 on certain occasions. My guess is 1000-1500 copies a week.

I doubt it's even selling that much....I'm sure the new Best Of (and the old one) have put a large dent in catalog sales of the earlier releases......I'd say 1,000 copies at best for AB and JT coming in with slightly more every week due to its singles getting a bit more play on radio here in the states.

Back
Top Bottom