How much can "Bomb" bounce back after the Grammys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe with the performance of "One" AB will be in the top 200 too...maybe.

i dont think that #14 on amazon is that good, considering they won 5 awards (and album of the year). theyve been in the 75-100 region on amazon for the last few weeks, yet that doesnt even put them in the BB 200. so #14 on amazon, could only be about 40 on BB.

Well it's going to take a few hours to set in with those who didn't watch the show. It's on the rise, and that's a good sign.

i'd wish amazon would adopt an adjusted ratings thing like imdb, so that all those people who are bad voters don't get counted. 3 stars is pretty bad for an album that just clean sweeped the grammys.

mikeuk said:

It's on tonight at 9pm - ITV2 I think (but would need to check)

Mike

Thats no good for me. I dont have ITV 2. Its been shown on TV3 next Tuesday here in Ireland. But surely it should be shown on a cable channel in the UK. Having it only on a digital channel is unfair.

I am still pinching myself here. The year I think they have no chance to win the big one (Album of the Year), they win it. It is a shame that All That... and Achtung Baby failed to win this award. It should be an incredible week or two now as this album re-enters the charts with a bang and the 4th leg of the Vertigo Tour begins. It feels like the beginning of the Bomb's release all over again. Incredible!

The real question now is how will this impact U2's desire to make another album? Will they delay these ideas now that the Bomb is "fresh" again? Will they push a new single off the Bomb?

Was it Larry that wanted to start over during the Bomb sessions? Looks like it paid off last night. What a key moment for the band. Deciding that Chris Thomas wasn't really working out and going with Steve.

NEW INFO:
UK itunes - 61
USA itunes - 12
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #4 in Music - HTDAAB
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #62 in Music - BO 80-90
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #67 in Music - BO 90-00

Ray Charles went to #1 after his Album of the Year win.
Outkast I believe went to #1
Nora Jones #1
Oh Brother Where Art Thou #1
Steely Dan (didn't)
Santana #1

Granted, all those albums were flirting with the Top 40... aside from Steely Dan...

Does anyone have stats concerning this issue? --How big of a boost albums had after the Album of the Year win?

Dr?

Now
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3 in Music - HTDAAB
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #56 in Music - BO 80-90

bomb has already sold 3M copies in the US, (and possibly 3M+ again on illegal downloads) whereas last year ray charles album hadnt sold many copies, or been out as long, thereofre making it easier for it to get to #1 after the grammys.

be nice to see bomb back on mediatraffic in the next week or two also. (X&Y wont outsell it now)

Does the 3.1m figure include all the iTunes downloads? Because it was the #1 album on there for weeks.

Roland of Gilead said:
I believe digital online sales are a separate matter.

No, digital sales do count for the Billboard Album 200. However, they have to be sales of the full album, not of individual tracks.
And the album might have been #1 on iTunes for a while, but we don't know to how many sales it translates. My guess is that last year it still was pretty low.
That's why, IMO, these Amazon ranks don't say a thing. Because it's just the sales of one (online) retailer and we don't know how many units are sold actually and whether or not it is a good representation of the total sales.

Amazon sales rank is of course inaccurate but it is really one of the only measuring sticks we have. If HTDAAB jumped from #122 two days ago to #59 yesterday to #2 today, we can assume it is selling more copies. Amazon in the number one internet sales website, so its sales rank is important to look at until the billboard numbers are released, even though it really doesn't mean much.

Here are the Grammy awards effect from 2001, 2002, and 2005.

1. Week before 2001 awards ATYCLB was at #35 with with 49,000 copies sold that week. The week after the Grammy's it jumped to #11 with 85,000 copies in sales. The following week, the first full Monday through Sunday week after the awards, the album was at #15 with 74,000 in sales.

Percent jump the first week after the awards, 75%.

2. Week before 2002 awards, ATYCLB was at #28 with 36,000 copies sold that week. The week after the Grammy awards it jumped to #10 with 81,000 copies sold. The second week it dropped to #17 with 56,000 copies sold.

Percent jump in sales the first week after the awards, 125%

3. Week before 2005 awards, HTDAAB was at #34 with 39,648
copies sold that week. The week after the Grammy awards it jumped to #20 with 56,692 copies sold. The second week it dropped to #41 with 26,532 copies sold.

Percent jump in sales the first week after the awards, 43%.

Remember in the third case, the band only won 3 awards in the minor catagories, and in the previous two cases, they won at least one of the major catagories.

Thanks Sting2. The % increase the next week this time will probably be MUCH more than those becuase

1. HTDAAB wasn't even in the top 200 last week

2. None of those other albums won Album of the Year

3. Grammy coverage has been all about U2

Back
Top Bottom