how many number ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di_g

The Fly
was having an argument last night with a work colleague about U2 - he says they're shit, i punch him, so on so forth :D:
i'm pretty certain he's just doing it to wind me up cause he's previously admitted to liking them but he is hitting me with some points i'd like to disprove.

so to help strengthen my side of the argument which is blatantly the winning side, can someone tell me how many number one singles and albums U2 have had? names would be great as well if you got them.

thanks guys!

In the US, WOWY and ISHFWILF were the only #1 singles. Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, Zooropa and Pop were the #1 albums. I know ATYCLB was only #3, and, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Achtung Baby only reached #2.

In the UK, I am not sure, except that Desire was the first #1 single, and I believe every album since War hit #1.

ATYCLB was #2, I remember when it first came out. Also, it stayed in the top 100 much longer than other albums. For example, while Pop debuted at 1, it fell fast in the next few weeks and was soon out of the top 100, where ATYCLB stayed up for a couple years, and when it dropped it always got a boost back up. There used to be a thread that had all the stats in it, I'm not sure if it's still here.

Last edited:
david said:
In the US according to U2wanderer.org Achtung Baby hit #1 and ATYCLB hit #3.

Yes, I know for sure that ATYCLB hit #3, not #2 or #1. With Achtung Baby, do you know if it debuted at #1 or if reached it in its second week, etc. I thought I heard it debuted at #2, but I really was not sure. As Achtung Baby is my favorite album, you would think that would not be the only one I am unsure of.

Then my radio station and newspaper were wrong, because they had it at #2 in the first week after its release.

MrBrau1 said:
AB was at #1 for week 1. Then a Michael Jackson album, Dangerous knocked it out for good. In the US.

Thanks! And damn Michael Jackson, he had some good albums but Dangerous was not one of them.

I thought ATYCLB reached #2, too. But I don't remember where I read that, so maybe it was just a figment of my imagination.

madonna's child said:
I thought ATYCLB reached #2, too. But I don't remember where I read that, so maybe it was just a figment of my imagination.

It was unfortunately bested by OutKast and JayZ, though I love that OutKast cd

phommel said:
In the Netherlands Beautiful Day and Elevation were the only number one singles, if I'm right.

You are.
And for #1 albums, every album since The Joshua Tree reached #1 in the Netherlands (including the Best Of's).

:)

Marty

Many errors!!

In the US:

-TJT was #1 (9 weeks)

-R&H was #1 for (6 weeks)

-AB was #1 for (1 week)

-Zooropa was #1 (2 weeks)

-Pop was #1 (1 week)

-ATYCLB was #3!!

------------------------------

UK:

War, UF, TJT, R&H, Zooropa, Pop, Best Of 80's and ATYCLB were #1!! AB was only #2 due to Dangerous release.

-------------------------------

Singles?

-In US only Wowy and I Still were #1 but other songs like The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, BDay, Lemon were #1 in many airplay charts like Modern Rock or Dance.

-In UK, U2 have 4 number one singles: Desire, The Fly, Discothèque and Beautiful Day.

Vox

U2 have a credit on Take Me to the Clouds Above (LLC Vs U2) so Guinness book of British hit singles will count that as a UK # 1 for them also.

This leaves them with 5 UK #1s.

Back
Top Bottom