Hitsdailydouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HITS #47 HTDAAB with 27,473!!!!!!!!!!:rockon: :applaud:

If this is similar to soundscan, this will be about a 600% increase over last week. Probably one of the largest percentage increases in Soundscan history! Well in excess of the 2nd top increase which appears to be Kelly Clarkson with a 107% increase.

It appears 23,000 people went out to the store, or online to purchase BOMB between Thursday and Sunday, precisely because of the Grammy awards.

It will be interesting to see if the album is able to make the top 40 at mediatraffic.

The result is lower than I hoped - I was predicting a Top 50 finish, but more closer to 30-40,000 in sales (50K being the "dream" finish). After all, this was Album of the Year and U2 had tons of exposure. But I guess in this era, we can't expect much more.

Given that HTDAAB only had Thurs.-Sun. - 4 days - to appreciate the Grammy win, I believe we will still see a strong number next week. I'm hoping it's around 18-20K, which might push it just shy of the Top 50, but keep it in the Top 65 or so.

Maybe more sales over time?

doctorwho said:
The result is lower than I hoped - I was predicting a Top 50 finish, but more closer to 30-40,000 in sales (50K being the "dream" finish). After all, this was Album of the Year and U2 had tons of exposure. But I guess in this era, we can't expect much more.

Given that HTDAAB only had Thurs.-Sun. - 4 days - to appreciate the Grammy win, I believe we will still see a strong number next week. I'm hoping it's around 18-20K, which might push it just shy of the Top 50, but keep it in the Top 65 or so.

Doctor, I think that next week might actually be better than this week w/respect to HTDAAB sales. As of right now, the album is still in the Top 10 on i-tunes and Amazon.com. Unless it does a complete freefall w/respect to these two retailers, it's likely to sell more at both "stores" this week than last. I can hope, anyway.

With respect to the long-term, like the next 12-18 months, what's your opinion on the AOY award effect? Any historical evidence of this award resulting in longer term "stabilized" sales levels? I guess that's what I was hoping would happen, helping HTDAAB eventually pass ATYCLB in sales, especially considering that the two biggest hits from that album are on the B/O 1990-2000, and Walk-On is on the Tribute to Heroes & 2002 Grammy records.

HTDAAB is the better album, IMO, and for some reason I think that 8 total grammies, especially AOY, will help it age well. It may take several years, but I do think it will pass ATYCLB eventually, especially given that we have a 4th leg & 2nd concert DVD next fall. Even though 2006 album sales cannot be counted "apples to apples" to 2002 or even 1998 sales, I'm still thinking this will happen. Do you?

Tallarico said:
Sting, what's you predict for the next week?

I think next week should still be strong, at least 20,000 copies if the 27,500 figure is correct. After that unfortunately, I think there might be a big drop off. It would be nice if this meant sustain sales at some level, but remember sales before this were only at 4,500 copies a week and this may just be a temporary jump.

ATYCLB had a lot of things pushing it already going into the 2002 Grammy awards, plus it was a stronger market back then. I see HTDAAB getting to 3.2 million in soundscan sales before dropping off the Billboard 200 again. In another year and a half, its sales will probably be the same as ATYCLB' s which sales an average of 1,200 copies a week. I don't think HTDAAB will pass ATYCLB in sales, although I think if you could count free downloads, "filesharing" "CD Burning", it probably passed ATYCLB last year.

This poses another interesting question. Will the follow up to BOMB be able to equal it in sales, or does the continued decline of the industry mean that doing so will be unlikely?

U2 is one of the most hated bands in the world by some of the general population so I dont see the Grammys having that big an affect but hopefully they will lead to a minor case of momentum and it selling 4-5 million in the US thats about all I expect it to do.

I agree it will age well and probaly eventually catch ATYCLB in a couple years. I think that album of the year and the 8 grammys will have more of a long term effect. For example, I am going to go get Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" this weekend. I would have never heard of it except I found that it was the album of the year a couple years ago. Bomb should eventually catch ATYCLB although not in the near future. I hope this award puts Bomb in the same boat as the Joshua Tree which was released in 1987. It was not certified 6x platinum until 1995 and is today 10x platinum. I know those kinds of numbers are not realistic in today's world ,but I am hoping that with all that attention it has gotten, Bomb might be able to eventually reach 5x platinum status in maybe 6 or 7 years.

I think the sales next week will be about the same if not better than they were this week. Instead of having 4 days from the grammys, they will have 7 days with the publicity in people's minds. Where I think it will make the biggest difference now is not people saying "I am going to go out and buy HTDAAB because it was the album of the year". Instead people will be at Best Buy or whatever and come across Bomb and say "Oh, that was album of the year I think I might buy it."

Yahweh said:
U2 is one of the most hated bands in the world by some of the general population so I dont see the Grammys having that big an affect but hopefully they will lead to a minor case of momentum and it selling 4-5 million in the US thats about all I expect it to do.

The band got substantial boost when they won Grammy's in 2001 and 2002. But the percentage increase of sales from the following week was not nearly as large as what BOMB is currently experiencing, going from 4,500 copies to nearly 30,000 copies in just one week.

cjboog said:
I agree it will age well and probaly eventually catch ATYCLB in a couple years. I think that album of the year and the 8 grammys will have more of a long term effect. For example, I am going to go get Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" this weekend. I would have never heard of it except I found that it was the album of the year a couple years ago. Bomb should eventually catch ATYCLB although not in the near future. I hope this award puts Bomb in the same boat as the Joshua Tree which was released in 1987. It was not certified 6x platinum until 1995 and is today 10x platinum. I know those kinds of numbers are not realistic in today's world ,but I am hoping that with all that attention it has gotten, Bomb might be able to eventually reach 5x platinum status in maybe 6 or 7 years.

The Joshua Tree hit 10 times platinum in September 1995. The 6 times platinum earlier that year was simply an early award, but the album was already well past 6 million at that time as the September 1995 certification would show.

ok but my point is it was certified 10x platinum 7 years after release. HTADAAB was certified 3x platinum a month or so after release and it makes sense that with all the grammys it could reach 5x platinum in 6 or 7 years.

JT had strong sales after 1988 because of R&H (which itself was a big seller) and AB (U2's second best seller). There was no "Best Of" until 1998, so those who liked the songs on JT bought that. Also, in the late 80's/eraly 90's, people were still transitioning to CD. I recall buying my friend the CD of AB in 1991 - she said thanks, but she had no CD player to listen to it!! So people bought music on vinyl and tapes and then, when they got CD players, bought the music again. This is what gave the music industry this BIG push in the late 80's and early 90's. Not only did new music continue to sell well, but catalog sales were huge as music fans re-purchased their music in CD format. No more scratchy vinyl or tapes that break. One could now listen to "With or Without You" 100 consecutive times and the CD would still play perfectly!

Since 1995 or so, those catalog sales were done. Grunge faded and the music industry started to "slump". But did it really? Were people just returning to the way things were before CD's came out?

Also, it really seemed that there was less popular music that was good. Grunge was a blessing. Some hip-hop was a blessing. But there's also been a lot of crap out there since 1995 - some of which peaks momentarily (Spice Girls, boy bands) but fades.

In other words, while JT may be 10x Platinum since 1995, if it were recertified, it might only hit 11x Platinum. 12x if sales were a bit higher over the past decade than I thought. That's still great, but it's not at the pace it was those first 8 years and sales will continue to drop.

Illegal downloading has hurt - I don't think that can be denied. But legal downloading has also changed the way the world works. It's very easy now to get just one or two songs from iTunes. When CD singles came out, people didn't want to spend $4-7 for just "one song". Artists and Music labels tried to entice consumers by adding remixes, live tracks, and some b-sides to the CD's, but at $4-7, consumers felt it was just easier to buy the whole album, not just a single. This, in turn, gave albums a bit of a boost - but CD single sales fell dramatically, to the point where many artists no longer release CD singles. Years ago, 45 rpm records were $1 or less. A person could spend $1, get the song he/she wanted and a flip-side (b-side) and that was great! This is what iTunes has brought back. For $0.99, a person can buy the song he/she wants. No need to spend $4-7 for a CD single or $15 for an entire album if all one wants is that one song.

But by downloading one song, album sales will suffer. Billboard has changed their charting and I'm positive "Vertigo" would have been a Top 10, if not Top 5, hit had Billboard counted iTunes downloads when the song was released. It's a shame that Billboard didn't have this feature available for "Vertigo" - it gives the impression that the song was a "mild" hit, when it was actually rather big. Nonetheless, those downloads would help "Vertigo", but not HTDAAB (unless one downloaded the entire album).

My point is that for any artist to get 2x Platinum is great. 3x Platinum is outstanding. 5x Platinum, like Mariah has, is phenomenal. Illegal downloads and legal downloads of specific songs are decreasing CD single sales. The days of 10x sales, like was saw just 5-7 years ago with Britney and N'Sync, are gone.

gwen stafani, green day, and coldplay have all re-enterd the charts with higher sales than U2 :|

If you're talking about the U.S., they never left the chart. Only U2 did.

The fact that U2's sales were about the same as them this past week, when they were the only ones off the chart, show how impressive the sales spike was.

KUEFC09U2 said:
gwen stafani, green day, and coldplay have all re-enterd the charts with higher sales than U2 :|

U2 had a 512% increase while the artist you name all had increases below 100%.

^ Yeah, you have to remember that those other acts were already selling well due to radio/video play. U2 isn't getting any of that right now.

doctorwho said:
JT had strong sales after 1988 because of R&H (which itself was a big seller) and AB (U2's second best seller). There was no "Best Of" until 1998, so those who liked the songs on JT bought that. Also, in the late 80's/eraly 90's, people were still transitioning to CD. I recall buying my friend the CD of AB in 1991 - she said thanks, but she had no CD player to listen to it!! So people bought music on vinyl and tapes and then, when they got CD players, bought the music again. This is what gave the music industry this BIG push in the late 80's and early 90's. Not only did new music continue to sell well, but catalog sales were huge as music fans re-purchased their music in CD format. No more scratchy vinyl or tapes that break. One could now listen to "With or Without You" 100 consecutive times and the CD would still play perfectly!

Since 1995 or so, those catalog sales were done. Grunge faded and the music industry started to "slump". But did it really? Were people just returning to the way things were before CD's came out?

Also, it really seemed that there was less popular music that was good. Grunge was a blessing. Some hip-hop was a blessing. But there's also been a lot of crap out there since 1995 - some of which peaks momentarily (Spice Girls, boy bands) but fades.

In other words, while JT may be 10x Platinum since 1995, if it were recertified, it might only hit 11x Platinum. 12x if sales were a bit higher over the past decade than I thought. That's still great, but it's not at the pace it was those first 8 years and sales will continue to drop.

Illegal downloading has hurt - I don't think that can be denied. But legal downloading has also changed the way the world works. It's very easy now to get just one or two songs from iTunes. When CD singles came out, people didn't want to spend $4-7 for just "one song". Artists and Music labels tried to entice consumers by adding remixes, live tracks, and some b-sides to the CD's, but at $4-7, consumers felt it was just easier to buy the whole album, not just a single. This, in turn, gave albums a bit of a boost - but CD single sales fell dramatically, to the point where many artists no longer release CD singles. Years ago, 45 rpm records were $1 or less. A person could spend $1, get the song he/she wanted and a flip-side (b-side) and that was great! This is what iTunes has brought back. For $0.99, a person can buy the song he/she wants. No need to spend $4-7 for a CD single or $15 for an entire album if all one wants is that one song.

But by downloading one song, album sales will suffer. Billboard has changed their charting and I'm positive "Vertigo" would have been a Top 10, if not Top 5, hit had Billboard counted iTunes downloads when the song was released. It's a shame that Billboard didn't have this feature available for "Vertigo" - it gives the impression that the song was a "mild" hit, when it was actually rather big. Nonetheless, those downloads would help "Vertigo", but not HTDAAB (unless one downloaded the entire album).

My point is that for any artist to get 2x Platinum is great. 3x Platinum is outstanding. 5x Platinum, like Mariah has, is phenomenal. Illegal downloads and legal downloads of specific songs are decreasing CD single sales. The days of 10x sales, like was saw just 5-7 years ago with Britney and N'Sync, are gone.

So does Billboard now include Itunes and internet downloads in its Hot 100 chart?

Yes, now BB hot 100 include the downloads!!!!

do u know if Vertigo re-entered in hot 100?It was #8 on i-tunes in the rock songs...

Back
Top Bottom