Hits Week 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but less than 30% of GreenDay sales - a band who released their album earlier than U2, released a rather melodic track worldwide as a second single - U2 mgt, are you reading/listening ?

Mike

Then again, Green Day and U2 have about the same total sales from their last album. Despite American Idiot being out longer.
:shrug:

Popmartijn said:
Then again, Green Day and U2 have about the same total sales from their last album. Despite American Idiot being out longer.
:shrug:

From their last album ? ATYCLB sold more than 12m plus, and Green day sold ...???

Main point I was trying to make was that on current album performance Green Day was trailling U2 in most markets, incl worldwide chart, until their second worldwide single (which BTW I think is pretty good and has convinced me to buy the album) became popular. Of course U2 doesn't have a worldwide second single - which is both a shame and a mistake !

Mike

Sorry, with last album I meant American Idiot and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

And yes, Green Day's rise in the charts in the USA has got a lot to do with the success of Boulevard Of Broken Dreams. But why is that song a hit? Why wasn't Walk On? Or All I Want Is You (a big one I mean)? And where are all the other rock songs (and albums)?
An answer is, I think, that you just cannot predict it. Maybe ABOY catches on, but maybe no other song from the album will. In that sense, the charts (or rather, the radio stations) are still unpredictable.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Sorry, with last album I meant American Idiot and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

And yes, Green Day's rise in the charts in the USA has got a lot to do with the success of Boulevard Of Broken Dreams. But why is that song a hit? Why wasn't Walk On? Or All I Want Is You (a big one I mean)? And where are all the other rock songs (and albums)?
An answer is, I think, that you just cannot predict it. Maybe ABOY catches on, but maybe no other song from the album will. In that sense, the charts (or rather, the radio stations) are still unpredictable.

C ya!

Marty

A: good (and catchy) song, early release of the video (a good one) and therefore momentum building !

Mike

While I don't have the U.S. chart run for "American Idiot", I recall it also dropping significantly before it leapt back to the top thanks to the second single. And it took a little while for that second single to grow into the huge hit it is.

So even if ABoY doesn't quite do it for U2 (and at this point, it's still way to early to tell as the song is still climbing up the charts), a series of other songs could. In other words, don't give up hope yet. Furthermore, the increase on HITS is a good sign, so perhaps something is starting to happen.

From what I have seen on websites and heard on radio here in Canada. Sometimes has officially been released to North American radio this week.

There are pictures of the NA Radio promo on atu2.com.

Looks like it has been release to all formats but the only ones playing it are the Hot AC and AAA right now.

I think the band sees Sometime as a potential hit and that All Because of You is only getting airtime on Alternative and Rock stations.

Green Day's album was sulking in the 20s in Nov & Dec from memory so they did not enjoy the huge 300K weeks that Bomb got before Christmas - let alone Bomb's opening week sales of 840k. Green Day is still only 2x platinum compared to Bomb's 3x platinum and is 4m compared to Bomb's 6m in Media Traffic

Their album seemed to rise in January on the back of Grammy nom's and a hit single. Bomb on the other hand continued to fall at a steady rate from the 90k after Christmas to now the 35k mark. The good news is that it is now 2 weeks in a row that the album has stabilised at 35k and is now holding fast. Perhaps ABOY is helping to stabilise sales, but I think given it has been out for several weeks, it will not be a top 10 hit as per Boulevard. Full credit to Green Day.

U2's record company thought another rocking song would do it (along with the clip to hype the tour), but it has not really worked. I don't want to lighten the Tsumani disaster, but Sometimes worldwide would have been the right song to release at the right time. Maybe that is what they are doing now and going for a double whammy. Either way, I think U2 lost a lot of chart momentum & focus in January with all the issues of family, ticketsales etc... However, maybe the album is going thru a natural sales slowdown after the massive pre-christmas sales of 8.5m shipments.

I still think the tour and the various singles will keep it to an average of 30k per week in 2005 - a hit single will be need to get 60K plus (award shows not withstanding). I also cannot get move how soft album sales are at the moment in the U.S

doctorwho said:
While I don't have the U.S. chart run for "American Idiot", I recall it also dropping significantly before it leapt back to the top thanks to the second single. And it took a little while for that second single to grow into the huge hit it is.

So even if ABoY doesn't quite do it for U2 (and at this point, it's still way to early to tell as the song is still climbing up the charts), a series of other songs could. In other words, don't give up hope yet. Furthermore, the increase on HITS is a good sign, so perhaps something is starting to happen.

American Idiot chart run:
Date: 09/10/2004 - Run: *1*-4-7-7-11-12-13-22-21-25-26-15- (12 wsf)
01/01/2005: 13- 9-2-1-1-2-4 (19/10-9c/3 wks)
Sales so far: 2,184,100

HTDAAB chart run:
Date: 11/12/2004 - Run: *1*-2-2- (3 wsf)
01/01/2005: 5-3-14-12-13-22-28 (10/5/1 wks)
Sales so far: 2,334,200

So U2 have dropped out of the top 30. These are still due to the boycott and the after-effects of the presale fiasco. But I predict a return to the top 30 next week (USA Week 12) thanks to the effects of the monumental Mullen Apology.

Cheers,

J

i dont think 'boycotts' have any thing to do with this, because people who were affected from the presales fiasco, as someone else pointed earlier, had already bought the album. people who are buying the album right now are not hardcore U2 fans.

jick said:
So U2 have dropped out of the top 30. These are still due to the boycott and the after-effects of the presale fiasco. But I predict a return to the top 30 next week (USA Week 12) thanks to the effects of the monumental Mullen Apology.

Cheers,

J
we don't know if U2 has dropped out of top 30...Hits states this but also the previous week according to Hits HTDAAB would have been out of the top 30 while in fact it was at #28.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Get over yourself and your stupid theory.

Anyway, I think All Because of You may have slowed the drop somewhat, but it is clearly not a hit, and never will be at this point. Sometimes... is U2's best shot at this point to hit 4x Platinum, which will take a lot as it is at only 2.3 mil sales despite the 3x Platinum status.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

As others wrote, HITS and SoundScan don't always agree. Last week HITS had the album out of the Top 30 as well - but SoundScan did not. We use HITS as a guide, but really only follow the SoundScan/Billboard charts. Therefore, the album may very well be in the Top 30 still.

Furthermore, HITS showed a rise on its chart. If SoundScan also has a rise, the album could be showing renewed sings of life.

Lastly, Soldatti nicely showed the run of "American Idiot" - and it too dropped to about where HTDAAB is charting before rising. This proves that albums can rise due to a hit song or Grammies or TV, etc.

In other words Jick, I see no evidence of a boycott.

doctor who wrote:
Lastly, Soldatti nicely showed the run of "American Idiot" - and it too dropped to about where HTDAAB is charting before rising. This proves that albums can rise due to a hit song or Grammies or TV, etc.
In other words Jick, I see no evidence of a boycott.

Exactly. But some people don't get it, do they now?

bsp77 said:

Get over yourself and your stupid theory.

Anyway, I think All Because of You may have slowed the drop somewhat, but it is clearly not a hit, and never will be at this point. Sometimes... is U2's best shot at this point to hit 4x Platinum, which will take a lot as it is at only 2.3 mil sales despite the 3x Platinum status.

By next week it will cross 2.4 million. Sunday is the Grammy awards and the album should see another rise the following week as well and then hopefully sabilize up to the HALL OF FAME where it will get another boost. Then comes the start of the tour. So there are lots of opportunities for increased and sustained sales.

STING2 said:

So there are lots of opportunities for increased and sustained sales.

Yes indeed there are. And before you think Grammies, or Hall of Fame or Tour, always remember the genesis. It was The Mullen Apology that triggered it all.

Cheers,

J

both the presales and the apology - i think youre blowing them waaay out of proportion jick. they are not as vital to the sales of HTDAAB as you might think.

The Mullen Apology has nothing to do with the sales, also for the next week...

Back
Top Bottom