Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to give some more perspective:

THESE 'BOOTS' ARE MADE FOR CHARTING: And that's just what the new U2 single did. "Get On Your Boots" (Island) returns the group to the Hot 100 for the first time since "The Saints Are Coming" (by U2 & Green Day) peaked at No. 51 in December 2006.

"Boots" walks onto the chart at No. 37, the highest rank for a U2 song since "Vertigo" tipsied to No. 31 in November 2004.

"Boots" is the fourth-highest debuting U2 single in history. The three titles that had higher new entry positions are:

No. 10: "Discotheque" (Feb. 22, 1997)
No. 23: "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" (June 24, 1995)
No. 30: "Staring at the Sun" (April 26, 1997)

"Boots" also enters the Modern Rock Tracks chart, where it spends week one at No. 8. That's U2's best placing on this list since "All Because of You" peaked at No. 6 in January 2005.

While a No. 8 debut is impressive, six of U2's 36 chart entries have opened in loftier positions:

No. 3: "Mysterious Ways" (Nov. 23, 1991)
No. 3: "Numb" (July 10, 1993)
No. 3: "Discotheque" (Jan. 25, 1997)
No. 4: "Desire" (Oct. 8, 1988)
No. 5: "The Fly" (Oct. 26, 1991)
No. 7: "Until the End of the World" (Feb. 1, 1992)

"Boots" is off to an even better start on the Triple A chart, where it is U2's first single to debut at No. 1. The lads were last on this chart with "Window in the Skies," which began a seven-week reign the week of Dec. 9, 2006.

Of U2's 19 charted songs on the Triple A list, only one other title has debuted inside the top 10. "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" opened at No. 9 the week of Feb. 26, 2000.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I think calling this song a flop already is way premature if not just plain wrong.

Dana

I was pretty surprised to see it at 37. Vertigo only made it to 31, and it had all the promotion from the Ipod commercial. Pretty cool!

Well, remember that Billboard wasn't counting downloads at that time. If it did, Vertigo would probably have been a top 10 hit, maybe even #1.

in Holland in the Tipparade it's at no. 17 now after entering last week at 24. It's the charts where the songs land before they get into the regular top 40, and it'll most likely get into that when it has a video and/or is physically available.

with superbowl's spot, grammy and videoclip (all in the next 10 days) do you think GOYB will rise the charts?

Boots Charting Well!!!!!

In regards to the Post on U2 still being Relevant........i think we have our Answer

THESE 'BOOTS' ARE MADE FOR CHARTING: And that's just what the new U2 single did. "Get On Your Boots" (Island) returns the group to the Hot 100 for the first time since "The Saints Are Coming" (by U2 & Green Day) peaked at No. 51 in December 2006.

"Boots" walks onto the chart at No. 37, the highest rank for a U2 song since "Vertigo" tipsied to No. 31 in November 2004.

"Boots" is the fourth-highest debuting U2 single in history. The three titles that had higher new entry positions are:

No. 10: "Discotheque" (Feb. 22, 1997)
No. 23: "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" (June 24, 1995)
No. 30: "Staring at the Sun" (April 26, 1997)

"Boots" also enters the Modern Rock Tracks chart, where it spends week one at No. 8. That's U2's best placing on this list since "All Because of You" peaked at No. 6 in January 2005.

While a No. 8 debut is impressive, six of U2's 36 chart entries have opened in loftier positions:

No. 3: "Mysterious Ways" (Nov. 23, 1991)
No. 3: "Numb" (July 10, 1993)
No. 3: "Discotheque" (Jan. 25, 1997)
No. 4: "Desire" (Oct. 8, 1988)
No. 5: "The Fly" (Oct. 26, 1991)
No. 7: "Until the End of the World" (Feb. 1, 1992)

"Boots" is off to an even better start on the Triple A chart, where it is U2's first single to debut at No. 1. The lads were last on this chart with "Window in the Skies," which began a seven-week reign the week of Dec. 9, 2006.

Of U2's 19 charted songs on the Triple A list, only one other title has debuted inside the top 10. "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" opened at No. 9 the week of Feb. 26, 2000.

In Depth Music Chart Analysis- Billboard.com- Search for Hot Ringtones

I think the video is gonna help the charts big time, and I don't think iTunes is the best indicator of how the song is doing since
A) its available for free on u2.com and
B) U2 is letting people post the song on youtube.com

I'd love to see the hit count on u2.com... if you look at the most viewed videos in a search of "get on your boots" the videos on the first page have a combined 405,000 hits, and I'm sure all combined theres been at least 800,000-1,000,000 hits of get on your boots on youtube alone.

GOYB has moved up to 3 in Canada for radio airplay! Also no. 3 for digital downloads. This isn't surprising as U2 always does so well in Canada.

It's also 5 in Norway and 20 in New Zealand.

#37 i think is fantastic (considering the lack of downloads) we can only assumed, radio play and downloads will increase as the album release approaches.

and when put into context of being their 4th highest ever debut, that is impressive.

i still think vertigo would have been #1 if downloads had been inclusing back then.

What type of list/music is this Triple A list?

from wikipedia:

Triple A Tracks is a music chart which lists the forty most-played songs on Adult album alternative (also known as "Triple A") radio most of which are alternative rock songs that skew towards an older audience. It is a companion to both the Adult Top 40 and Modern Rock Tracks charts. Billboard Radio Monitor had published a chart since the early 2000s until the publication merged with Radio & Records. Billboard itself published its first chart on July 10, 2008.

I think the video is gonna help the charts big time, and I don't think iTunes is the best indicator of how the song is doing since
A) its available for free on u2.com and
B) U2 is letting people post the song on youtube.com

I'd love to see the hit count on u2.com... if you look at the most viewed videos in a search of "get on your boots" the videos on the first page have a combined 405,000 hits, and I'm sure all combined theres been at least 800,000-1,000,000 hits of get on your boots on youtube alone.

I love the video. Hopefully it will get a lot of airplay on MTV, VH1, etc.

GOYB has moved up to 3 in Canada for radio airplay! Also no. 3 for digital downloads. This isn't surprising as U2 always does so well in Canada.

It's also 5 in Norway and 20 in New Zealand.

We have better taste in music than our southern neighbours ;)

from wikipedia:

Triple A Tracks is a music chart which lists the forty most-played songs on Adult album alternative (also known as "Triple A") radio most of which are alternative rock songs that skew towards an older audience. It is a companion to both the Adult Top 40 and Modern Rock Tracks charts. Billboard Radio Monitor had published a chart since the early 2000s until the publication merged with Radio & Records. Billboard itself published its first chart on July 10, 2008.

Thanks .:MrMacPhisto:. !I would never have thought of looking in wikipedia :)
And all those lists... ;(

All these American charts are confusing. Here in the UK, the only chart worth talking about is the "Top 40"

I think it's just the US that's seems so confusing with multiple charts for everything.

In Canada for example, the main charts you would see are simply -

Top 100 Hits chart(airplay)<same as a normal top 40.
Top 100(albums)
Singles(sales)
Digital(sales)

All these American charts are confusing. Here in the UK, the only chart worth talking about is the "Top 40"

The Billboard Hot 100 is THE singles chart in the US; the rest are niche charts.

Since hardly anyone puts out physical singles here anymore, the digital downloads chart is probably a better indicator of popularity based on sales. What the hell is the difference between "Hot Digital Tracks" and "Hot Digital Songs," though?

There is a Nielsen Soundscan chart for physical singles, but it's laughable.

GOYB #1 Most Added Radio Songs (Australia)

Will enter the Top 100 fairly high for airplay me thinks in Aus.

What the hell is the difference between "Hot Digital Tracks" and "Hot Digital Songs," though?

Again, wikipedia ;)

Hot Digital Songs: The Hot Digital Songs ranks the top-selling digital singles. The chart combines different versions of songs for a summarized figure. It is one of the three component charts of the Hot 100 and Pop 100.

Hot Digital Tracks: The Hot Digital Track ranks digital singles like Hot Digital Songs. However, this chart lists different versions of songs that have been sold.

with superbowl's spot, grammy and videoclip (all in the next 10 days) do you think GOYB will rise the charts?

Probably... I mean, at least, more people will get to know about this in the U.S.. Especially beacuse the Grammys/Superbowl.

This is what i had sent in and got posted over at exit and atu2....i will update on wednesday when the new ratings come out-

"So here is the breakdown as provided by Jono a U2exit contributor>

Triple A radio in US #1

Rock Radio in US #14

HOT AC in US #34

Rock radio in Canada #1

For all the charts> http://www.radioandrecords.com/Formats/Charts

I believe this will be one of their biggest radio hits/singles of all time, especially with the dig downloads that vertigo didn't have the advantages of..."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom