Every Breaking Wave Radio Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Week of Jan 13:

EBW is at #11 on BBC radio

On U.S. radio formats, EBW is at

6 on Adult Rock, up from 8 with 431 spins. All of Top 5 are losing spins; EBW +29

20 on AC, same as on Jan 6

34 on Hot AC, up from 36

24 on Alternative, down from 23

24 on Rock, up from 30 (Miracle up to 39 from 41)

In Canada, no EBW on radio. Miracle down 1 spot to 23 on Active Rock Chart

Also, Billboard has a chart called "Trending Top 100". Song for Someone slips to #69 this week...but it's peak position on that chart was #2. Chart changes every 5 minutes.

Overall, EBW seems to have at least steadied itself after losing some spots during the holiday period. Needs to start moving up again on larger formats, though. The short movie for "SOI", called films of innocence, with unique artists videos for each song, might mean that there won't be any music videos for promo.

Review: Films of Innocence

I was checking the charts and I couldn´t belive my eyes, EBW is on Top 40 "Taking off chart"!!!:ohmy:

U2 Every Breaking Wave 1 7 Leaders Starters

I was checking the charts and I couldn´t belive my eyes, EBW is on Top 40 "Taking off chart"!!!:ohmy:

I'll have to check this when I go home but if your right.....wow! wow! wow!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well...you were right! It's being played on two Top 40 stations (Orlando and Columbus). Don't look now but this song is picking up steam.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Well...you were right! It's being played on two Top 40 stations (Orlando and Columbus). Don't look now but this song is picking up steam.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I'm gobstopped! I only hear the acoustic version, never the album one.

For the single, I think it should be a mix of both or just album, not acoustic.

I really really hope it's taking off!

I want California for the summer and it does follow EBW and The Miracle on the album...

But first, I'd release Lucifer's Hands or This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now with Volcano for mid summer after California.

Bono's vocals are astounding on this!

Is there a link for the Top 40 Taking off chart? I know I've seen it before, but I couldn't find it on Top40-charts.com or Billboard. Thanks!

As per usual though people here at Interference arent necessarily liking it but as I said when this album came out this was the one song that has a slight chance of getting any radio play whatsoever.

I would like to hear this new mix in better quality, the vocal mix does sound a bit different as well.

Have there been 4 versions of this song already? Before album on tour, album, acoustic, remix... probably more... and this is official one not album? My brain hurts.

Any updates Believe or CosmoKramer?

As of 1/31/2015:

Alternative: #31 with 448 spins. It is now declining on this format, where its peak position was at #23 and peak spins was 562.

Mainstream Rock: It is no longer on the charts but this format is really insignificant.

Triple A: #7 with 445 spins. It continues to grow on this format as this is a peak in both spins and position.

AC: #20 with 249 spins. It continues to grow on this format. This position is only down 2 from its peak of 18 back in November (it soon fell off this chart only to have a resurgence) and its spins are at a peak level since November.

Hot AC: #37 with 370 spins. It went down 4 spins from the previous week but I won't say it is declining on this format just yet, I will say it has stalled.

In Summary: All charted formats: 1,512 spins, 8.14 million impressions

Fell Off: Mainstream Rock :down:
Declining: Alternative :down:
Stalled: Hot AC :hmm:
Gaining: AC & Triple A :applaud:

My opinion: If they do perform at the Grammy Awards and play this song with the same passion and level of performance of the EMA's, it can have a big boost for the performance. This song is far from dead but it is not "blowing up the charts"

With regard to USA Radio Performance:

It has outperformed The Miracle, which was the worst performing lead singles from any U2 album since I have been a fan.

It has outperformed Invisible, which while it did have a higher peak in spins at 1,631 & impressions at 10.4 million, those peaks lasted only a day and quickly faded within a week. Whereas EBW has had more spins and impressions overall and more consistent performance.

It has been more consistent than Get on Your Boots in that it has lasted on the charts longer but Boots had significantly higher peaks in total spins at ~4k I think and I would imagine its peak impressions were also significantly higher(Ill have to find my numbers on that one).

I don't have Magnificent's numbers in front of me but I would think at the moment it is right on par or behind Mag's performance. :doh:

The thing killing all of this is the lack of promotion and video IMO, but the fact is holding up pretty well without this is a really good sign for the band

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The song continues to perform well on the U.S. Hot AC chart. It's still hovering between 33 and 34 on that chart with 446 spins, down just 10 spins from its peak.

As others have said, it needs a real video and U.S. promotional tour (If Bono's able) as soon as possible.

I've been hearing the quiet piano version of EBW on LA Alternative stations constantly the last week. It's the most I've heard a new U2 song on the radio here since Beautiful Day. So I'm a bit surprised that it isn't "charting" higher - perhaps because the two versions are splitting the pot?

This I looked up over the weekend here: http://www.kworb.net/radio/

EBW dropped off Alternative as of today, but moved up 2 spots in Rock to #28 and 2 spots in HAC to #33 since I did this over the weekend. The Miracle went down to #46 as well.

Every Breaking Wave

Alternative #44 -3

HAC #35 =

Rock #30 =

AC #20 +1

Triple A #12 =

The Miracle

Rock #44 =

I was surprised to see The Miracle still charting.

Back
Top Bottom