euro dates not sold out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep! they've sold at least 1.25 million tickets for europe anyway..that's an average of 56,818 per show. So, no worries about the euro leg.

and PM is quoted as saying the 16 US dates had sold more than 1m tickets - an average of 62.5 - but don't know what % of capacity that equates to ? Mike:wave:

The capacity of all 16 US stadiums is 1,026,872 so they are really close to selling out completely. Europe's capacity is 1,048,793 so they sold way over the total seat capacity.

Does anybody have the numbers for Istanbul yet, is the show going to sell out or at least how many tickets have been sold? In my opinion it will be very hard mainly because of the stadium's capacity (76,092). It's their first concert in Turkey which is good, the FIBA Basketball World Championship in also going on in the country - could be a last minute full house..

i see that the figures for the 2 Helsinki shows relates to 2% of the entire population of Finland attending the shows!

So far it seems like Russia is the only dud of this tour. It'll be interesting to see the official number! (Not dud in terms of performance/enjoyment, but in terms of attendance vs capacity).

So far it seems like Russia is the only dud of this tour. It'll be interesting to see the official number! (Not dud in terms of performance/enjoyment, but in terms of attendance vs capacity).

Was it a sell out ? What figures are we talking ? :(

Was it a sell out ? What figures are we talking ? :(

No, it wasn't a sell out by a long shot. Much of the 2nd ring was empty, so I'd think that about 67-75% of the seats (total capacity when full: ~75,000) were occupied. Plus the whole GA floor. I've seen some reports stating that about 62,000 people were at the concert.

So we have:
Turin: 45.000 sold out
Frankfurt: 55.000 not sold out
Hannover: 57.000 not sold out
Horsens: 70.000 sold out
Helsinki: 104.000 sold out
Moskow: 50.000-62.000 not sold out
Vienna: 72.000 sold out

Looks good:up:

Munich will definitely be sold out, there are only single tickets available for 179.50 euro in category 1

And for Hannover. The capacity is 48.000. For 360 the capacity is around 60.000 so 57.000 isn't bad (a lot of tickets were sold for lower prices).

With all the reports about U2s Moscow show being under attended with perhaps only 50,000 people, I thought I would list the boxscores for the Rolling Stones only show in Moscow as well as Madonna's:

The Rolling Stones
August 11, 1998
Moscow Russia
Luzhniki Stadium
GROSS: $1,513,838
ATTENDANCE: 45,304

Madonna
September 12, 2006
Moscow Russia
Luzhniki Stadium
GROSS: $5,548,998
ATTENDANCE: 37,939

With all the reports about U2s Moscow show being under attended with perhaps only 50,000 people, I thought I would list the boxscores for the Rolling Stones only show in Moscow as well as Madonna's:

The Rolling Stones
August 11, 1998
Moscow Russia
Luzhniki Stadium
GROSS: $1,513,838
ATTENDANCE: 45,304

Madonna
September 12, 2006
Moscow Russia
Luzhniki Stadium
GROSS: $5,548,998
ATTENDANCE: 37,939

Ahhh, perspective. If you read the article up on u2tours.com, which is titled "Just not that in to U2", the impression you would have is that U2 failed to sell out because Russians are just not that into them. The article does mention in brief that the Stones and Madonna played in Moscow but only that they didnt have the "hot stuff" either. It mentions nothing to the fact that the U2 show was one of, if not THE, most successful show by a western act to play Moscow. The article mentions that Michael Jackson & Robbie Williams played Moscow, would you happen to have the numbers for those shows?

If U2 played to 50k, that would be impressive.
If U2 played to 60k, that would be amazing.

Its all about perspective!

Ahhh, perspective. If you read the article up on u2tours.com, which is titled "Just not that in to U2", the impression you would have is that U2 failed to sell out because Russians are just not that into them. The article does mention in brief that the Stones and Madonna played in Moscow but only that they didnt have the "hot stuff" either. It mentions nothing to the fact that the U2 show was one of, if not THE, most successful show by a western act to play Moscow. The article mentions that Michael Jackson & Robbie Williams played Moscow, would you happen to have the numbers for those shows?

If U2 played to 50k, that would be impressive.
If U2 played to 60k, that would be amazing.

Its all about perspective!

If I´m not mistaken Pink Floyd hold the record for the biggest rock show by an international act in Russia (USSR at the time). In 1980, they played to an audience of roughly 60,000. I heard and unofficial figure of 62,000 for U2´s concert so if this is officially confirmed U2 will be the new record holders.

If I´m not mistaken Pink Floyd hold the record for the biggest rock show by an international act in Russia (USSR at the time). In 1980, they played to an audience of roughly 60,000. I heard and unofficial figure of 62,000 for U2´s concert so if this is officially confirmed U2 will be the new record holders.

If that is correct, then even if U2 played to 50,000, it would have still been a huge success in Russia. I do think that you're figure of 62k is closer to what they really played to but regardless, its still amazing.

Did they sell it out? hell no? but that is not always the point. I pose this question:

How many artists in HISTORY can say that they (not a festival but just the artist) have played to 50k+ people in Russia, Croatia, Japan, Australia, the U.K., Spain, Germany, Poland, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, France, Los Angeles, New York, Florida and Texas.

You might be able to name a handful (small one at that). The fact that these guys have a following that can draw 50,000 people from nearly any continent in the world is crazy. I mean, they speak/sing in english for god sake and they still sold 50k+ tickets in Russia. I guess some people (Moggio) will try and put a negative spin on this accomplishment but it just further demonstrates the bias he has against this band.

fedeu2:do you know of any other bands to play Moscow? I thought maybe the Beatles did but maybe I am mistaken.

If that is correct, then even if U2 played to 50,000, it would have still been a huge success in Russia. I do think that you're figure of 62k is closer to what they really played to but regardless, its still amazing.

Did they sell it out? hell no? but that is not always the point. I pose this question:

How many artists in HISTORY can say that they (not a festival but just the artist) have played to 50k+ people in Russia, Croatia, Japan, Australia, the U.K., Spain, Germany, Poland, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, France, Los Angeles, New York, Florida and Texas.

You might be able to name a handful (small one at that). The fact that these guys have a following that can draw 50,000 people from nearly any continent in the world is crazy. I mean, they speak/sing in english for god sake and they still sold 50k+ tickets in Russia. I guess some people (Moggio) will try and put a negative spin on this accomplishment but it just further demonstrates the bias he has against this band.

fedeu2:do you know of any other bands to play Moscow? I thought maybe the Beatles did but maybe I am mistaken.

I´m not sure The Beatles played Moscow, I think not. It was Paul back in 2003 who played at the Kremlin for Vladimir Putin.
As for other bands, Metallica, AC/DC and Pantera definitely played there in 1991. Attendance reports ranged from 150,000 to 700,000 people but it was a free concert so there´s no possible comparison with what U2, RS or PF have attained.
Still, it is a fact that heavy metal bands are very popular in Russia and Eastern Europe, more than "soft-rock" bands (U2, Coldplay, etc.).

I´m not sure The Beatles played Moscow, I think not. It was Paul back in 2003 who played at the Kremlin for Vladimir Putin.
As for other bands, Metallica, AC/DC and Pantera definitely played there in 1991. Attendance reports ranged from 150,000 to 700,000 people but it was a free concert so there´s no possible comparison with what U2, RS or PF have attained.
Still, it is a fact that heavy metal bands are very popular in Russia and Eastern Europe, more than "soft-rock" bands (U2, Coldplay, etc.).

I almost forgot that The prodigy played a mini-concert in Moscow in 1997, at Red Square I think.

[QUOTE

QUOTE]

In regard to my country (Croatia), it is an even more impressive result, because there is only 4.5 million of us, and they played to 124.000 people (two concerts). Not bad at all! :D

U2's second show in perth has sold out.

All the NZ and AUZ shows are listed as sold out.

Weren't Red hot chili peppers the first band from the West to play the Red Square a few years ago ?

PF played 4 nights in an arena sized russian venue in June 1989. 16,000/night with lots of repeat fans? Only band trip to the country, as the original 79-80 Wall tour only play 2 cities in Europe and 2 stateside.

BTW, classiacal pianist Glenn Gould from Canada played the USSR in 1957. First western artist to do so since WWII.

MJ played the Dynamo stadium in Sept 1996 which has a seated soccer capacity of 36,000.

Robbie did 16,000 in November 2003 at the "Olimpiisky".

According to u2tour.de some 82.000 people attended the concert in Athens, while Istanbul attracted "only" 50k + (which means the situation was the same or even worse than in Moscow)

According to u2tour.de some 82.000 people attended the concert in Athens, while Istanbul attracted "only" 50k + (which means the situation was the same or even worse than in Moscow)

From the pictures, Athens did look crowded.
Gaaaah at Istanbul

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom