COBL droped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:

City of Blinding Lights in my opinion is one of the greatest U2 songs of all time, definitely in my top 30.

haha.

doesn't anyone else see how silly this is? "one of the greatest...of all time, definitely in my top 30".

top thirty u2 songs or all songs by all artists? cause i mean really, you're not really saying anything...

city of blinding lights is probably the best song on the album, but it's not single material.

Zoomerang96 said:

haha.

doesn't anyone else see how silly this is? "one of the greatest...of all time, definitely in my top 30".

top thirty u2 songs or all songs by all artists? cause i mean really, you're not really saying anything...

city of blinding lights is probably the best song on the album, but it's not single material.

That'll be why it did so well as a single around the world then?:huh:

how can it be the best song on the album without being 'single material' ?

does that mean that none of HTDAAB is single material, not even Vertigo?

As I saide before Bomb is full of singles, i.e., Vertigo, Sometimes, Miracle drug, Love and peace, City, Original, All because of you, at the very least. I can even see Crumbs and A man and a woman as singles.

The album is truly a masterpiece in my eyes. Far and away the best one from 2004.

ybird3k said:
how can it be the best song on the album without being 'single material' ?

does that mean that none of HTDAAB is single material, not even Vertigo?

Zoomerang96 said:

haha.

U2 and their management obviously disagree with you about COBL being "single material".

No, I don't see how silly it is to say its one of the greatest U2 songs of all time and definitely in my top 30 U2 songs of all time. There are over 200 U2 songs now, and being in the top 30 is indeed huge, and I think that is where the song deserves to be.

It narrowly misses my top ten.......right at #11.........just can't put it above "With Or Without You".......

As for songs from HTDAAB that most certainly would rank in my U2 All Time Top 30:

-Miracle drug
-Sometimes you can´t ...
-Original of the species

City would come in fourth or fifth place as best song off HTDAAB.

BigMacPhisto said:
It narrowly misses my top ten.......right at #11.........just can't put it above "With Or Without You".......

COBL may be the greatest song written by man, but it's still not a single. Sorry. The single mix sounds chopped up and mediocre. Just like the IGWSHA single mix.

Not every song is a potential single. :(

Why do so many people say COBL is not a propper single etc.?

I think the US is just not into U2 these days anymore.

In Europe it is/was a big hit!! still a lot of airplay in Netherlands

COBL was #5 on the MTV european top 20, 2day, (after all this time).

without a doubt a mamoth hit, just unbelieveable the US isnt even giving the singles a chance

phommel said:
Why do so many people say COBL is not a propper single etc.?

I think the US is just not into U2 these days anymore.

In Europe it is/was a big hit!! still a lot of airplay in Netherlands

On the contrary, 3 million US citizens have purchased HTDAAB and it will likely be one of the top 10 biggest selling albums of the year on Billboards year end album chart for the USA.

MumblingBono said:
City is a mediocre song with a wishy-washy melody and a lame chorus. It is a poor choice for a single.

No amount of promomotion can help that.

This is not too far from the truth, :up:

Btw.: They stole the chorus from Joe Cocker, which makes it even more lame.

It works OK live, though.

STING2 said:

On the contrary, 3 million US citizens have purchased HTDAAB and it will likely be one of the top 10 biggest selling albums of the year on Billboards year end album chart for the USA.

you're right.

Can it be possible that the people who buy the albums, maybe are not into the singles anymore. I mean, maybe the average age of a US U2 fan is a little older than the single-buyers (teenagers)? And these teenagers are not into U2, but like Eminem, 50cent etc...
I don't know, just guessing

phommel said:

you're right.

Can it be possible that the people who buy the albums, maybe are not into the singles anymore. I mean, maybe the average age of a US U2 fan is a little older than the single-buyers (teenagers)? And these teenagers are not into U2, but like Eminem, 50cent etc...
I don't know, just guessing

Most people do not buy singles and singles have not been a significant indication of popularity since the 1970s. Its all about album sales and concert ticket sales.

Back
Top Bottom