Check Out The Australian Attendance Figures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Check Out The Australian Attendance Figures

Vox02 said:

:wink:

1998, PopMart

Melbourne 23,810

Brisbane 17,567

Sydney 37,976

Vox

Just a single Sydney Vertigo show outgrossed all of POPMART Australia, and nearly had greater attendance. Yes, its been 8 years, but that is light years away from explaining the huge difference in demand as shown by the attendance and gross levels for Vertigo.

Yep STING, there is a huge debacle in Australasian concerts during POPMART.

Sydney '84 (according to Pimm's Book): 5 concerts, 55,000 soldout
Melbourne '84(Pimm): 5 concerts, 17,500 soldout

Sydney '89 (Pimm): 8 concerts, 100,000 soldout
Melbourne '89 (Pimm): 7 concerts, 112,000 soldout

Sydney '93 (Pimm): 2 concerts, 95,000 (9,000 tickets remain unsold on 1st night)
Melbourne '93 (Pimm): 2 concerts, 95,000 (15,000 tickets remain unsold on 2nd night)

Sydney '98: 1 concert, 37,976
Melbourne '98: 1 concert 23,810

Sydney '06: 3 concerts, 206,568 soldout
Melbourne '06: 2 concerts, 127,275 soldout

Along with Germany, Japan and USA, Australia was a debacle during POPMART!

Vox

Vox02 said:
Yep STING, there is a huge debacle in Australasian concerts during POPMART.

Sydney '84 (according to Pimm's Book): 5 concerts, 55,000 soldout
Melbourne '84(Pimm): 5 concerts, 17,500 soldout

Sydney '89 (Pimm): 8 concerts, 100,000 soldout
Melbourne '89 (Pimm): 7 concerts, 112,000 soldout

Sydney '93 (Pimm): 2 concerts, 95,000 (9,000 tickets remain unsold on 1st night)
Melbourne '93 (Pimm): 2 concerts, 95,000 (15,000 tickets remain unsold on 2nd night)

Sydney '98: 1 concert, 37,976
Melbourne '98: 1 concert 23,810

Sydney '06: 3 concerts, 206,568 soldout
Melbourne '06: 2 concerts, 127,275 soldout

Along with Germany, Japan and USA, Australia was a debacle during POPMART!

Vox

Yes attendances were way down on that tour but remember in the case of Sydney that the Popmart show there sold out on the day of release, so the potential audience was WAY above 38,000, I think they could have even done a second show.
Melbourne though, I can't explain. I was at that Popmart show and I could swear there were more than 23,810 people there.
Just as a side note, on the official website of the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) it has the ACCURATE attendance figures for the 1993 shows and they are lower than is quoted in Pimm's book. Total attendance for the 2 shows was 80,000.

I was at popmart in Melbourne, it was held at Waverley Park this stadium holds about 75.000 not including the playing field, now l now a quarter of the seating area was not used due to the stage but the rest of the seating area was pretty full, and the playing field was full, l find it pretty hard to beleive there was only 23,000 there it looked more like 50.000 plus to me and l have been to waverley for plenty of football games so l know what it looks like full

ChargedVT said:

Yes attendances were way down on that tour but remember in the case of Sydney that the Popmart show there sold out on the day of release, so the potential audience was WAY above 38,000, I think they could have even done a second show.
Melbourne though, I can't explain. I was at that Popmart show and I could swear there were more than 23,810 people there.
Just as a side note, on the official website of the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) it has the ACCURATE attendance figures for the 1993 shows and they are lower than is quoted in Pimm's book. Total attendance for the 2 shows was 80,000.

Amusement Business did not start reporting figures outside North America until 1995, so the 1993 figure for Melbourne in Pimm's book was an estimate. Crowd estimates by people making and observation at the place or venue where the crowd is nearly always tend to overestimate the number of people there. Promoters always work to make a stadium look full or fuller than it really is even when only half the tickets have been sold. But the fact is, only 23,810 tickets were sold for the POPMART Melbourne show.

Pauken01 said:
I was at popmart in Melbourne, it was held at Waverley Park this stadium holds about 75.000 not including the playing field, now l now a quarter of the seating area was not used due to the stage but the rest of the seating area was pretty full, and the playing field was full, l find it pretty hard to beleive there was only 23,000 there it looked more like 50.000 plus to me and l have been to waverley for plenty of football games so l know what it looks like full

The promoter will often spread the sell of tickets out through out the stadium, skipping rows here and there, which from the vantage point of a person looking at the entire stadium, will be hard to notice. Its excellant way of making something look full and nearly soldout when its not even close.

belbird said:
wow i can't believe there were so many ZooTv tickets left unsold.

The ZOO TV shows did well in Australia although not all of them were sellouts. Exact figures do not exist for the shows because Amusement Business did not report figures outside North America until 1995.

POPMART TOUR AUSTRALIA:

86. Perth February 17, 1998 Burswood Dome GROSS: $1,273,178 ATTENDANCE: 13,775

87. Melbourne February 21, 1998 Waverly Park GROSS: $1,366,510 ATTENDANCE: 23,810

88. Brisbane February 25, 1998 ANZ Stadium GROSS: $1,019,744 ATTENDANCE: 17,567

89. Sydney February 28, 1998 Football Ground GROSS: $2,236,123 ATTENDANCE: 37,976

POPMART TOUR AUSTRALIA TOTALS:

GROSS: $5,895,555
ATTENDANCE: 93,128
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $1,473,888
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 23,282
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $63.30
SHOWS: 4
SELLOUTS: 2

VERTIGO TOUR AUSTRALIA:

119. Brisbane, Australia : November 7, 2006 : QSAC Stadium : GROSS $4,254,140 : ATTENDANCE 50,094 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

120, 121, 122. Sydney, Australia : November 10-11, 13, 2006 : Telstra Stadium : GROSS $18,538,724 : ATTENDANCE 206,568 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

123. Adelaide, Australia : November 16, 2006 : AAMI Stadium : GROSS $5,058,962 : ATTENDANCE 60,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

124, 125. Melbourne, Australia : November 18-19, 2006 : Telstra Dome : GROSS $11,188,720 : ATTENDANCE 127,275 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

VERTIGO TOUR AUSTRALIA TOTALS:

GROSS: $39,040,546
ATTENDANCE: 443,937
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $5,577,220
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 63,419
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $87.94
SHOWS: 7
SELLOUTS: 7

The difference between the figures for these two tours in Australia is unbelievably large. Whats more, all 7 stadium shows soldout either in minutes or hours of going on sale, except perhaps the third Sydney show. While POPMART Sydney soldout the first day, it appears it took several hours to sell just 37,000 tickets, compared to the first two Vertigo Sydney shows which sold out as fast as the system could handle orders.

U2 probably could have added a few more shows on Vertigo Australia based on this level of demand, while its clear that U2 had definitely met the demand on POPMART Australia given the fact that half the shows did not sellout.

STING2 said:

The ZOO TV shows did well in Australia although not all of them were sellouts. Exact figures do not exist for the shows because Amusement Business did not report figures outside North America until 1995.

But there ARE some figures for the ZOO TV shows. I got them from the official websites of the venues themselves, which were the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Sydney Football Stadium. I can't find those links now but according to these sources, the Melbourne crowds were 44,000 and 36,000 (cant remember EXACT numbers) and Sydney had a total of 93,000.

shortfuse said:
Didnt the third sydney show fail to sell out, despite the fact that maybe fewer tix were on sale?
This is the first i am hearing of Sydney 3 actually selling out...

Well, in terms of the tickets that were actually offered for sell, all of them were indeed sold as the amusement business figures just put out confirm. If the 3rd Sydney show did not sell as many tickets as the first two, it was probably not far behind. Over 206,000 people in attendance and over 18 million dollars in Gross for 3 shows. Indeed the best concert business performance in the history of Sydney.

did people know that the second sydney show was going to be recorded? i'm guessing so, because you would think the first show would have more people going other wise (zootv).

STING2 said:

Well, in terms of the tickets that were actually offered for sell, all of them were indeed sold as the amusement business figures just put out confirm. If the 3rd Sydney show did not sell as many tickets as the first two, it was probably not far behind. Over 206,000 people in attendance and over 18 million dollars in Gross for 3 shows. Indeed the best concert business performance in the history of Sydney.

No, Sydney 3 fell about 15-20,000 short of a sell out, and those tickets were all available. On the day of the show announcements were being made all over radio stations here that the ticket agent outlets around the city were going to stay open till as late as 8pm to give people a chance to grab a last minute sale. I know loads of people who picked up GA tickets in the couple of days before - people who heard others raving about Sydney 1 & 2 and only then decided to go. Without that push Sydney 3 probably would have fallen at least twice as short.

Most of us from Sydney were shocked that a 3rd show even went on sale, and I'm amazed the sales for it were even that good. Gunning for attendance of 225,000 (what 3 sell outs would have been) is huge for a city of 3.5million. That they nearly did it is amazing. It's a record for that stadium, but not a Sydney record for attendence over multiple shows in one visit.

Attendance per capita must be one of the highest outside of Dublin.

Too lazy to research but Dublin population must be no more that 2mil.

Earnie Shavers said:

No, Sydney 3 fell about 15-20,000 short of a sell out, and those tickets were all available. On the day of the show announcements were being made all over radio stations here that the ticket agent outlets around the city were going to stay open till as late as 8pm to give people a chance to grab a last minute sale. I know loads of people who picked up GA tickets in the couple of days before - people who heard others raving about Sydney 1 & 2 and only then decided to go. Without that push Sydney 3 probably would have fallen at least twice as short.

Most of us from Sydney were shocked that a 3rd show even went on sale, and I'm amazed the sales for it were even that good. Gunning for attendance of 225,000 (what 3 sell outs would have been) is huge for a city of 3.5million. That they nearly did it is amazing. It's a record for that stadium, but not a Sydney record for attendence over multiple shows in one visit.

If all all those tickets were in fact available for sale, then it would be mentioned in the boxscore. Promoters attempting to achieve a "sellout" will only put batches of tickets on sale in numbers that correspond directly to what is being purchased on a daily basis. There may be 15,000 potential seats in further capacity, but only part of that is being put on sale based on daily sales, and what they estimate will be the final number of people attempting to get tickets on the day of the show. They can change the number of tickets they put on sale at any time.

The Stones achieved a sellout of the same stadium with 58,000 tickets sold. The lower sellout capacity is because they had seats on the field as opposed to general admission, and not as many sections in the stands may have been released for sale.

In any event, where did you get your figures that show that the 3rd Sydney show fail short of 15,000 to 20,000 of selling the full capacity available for a concert? Remember, sometimes up to half of a football stadiums seating capacity for a football game cannot be used because of the large stage which obstructs even views that would be considered side views. That rate of drop off on the third show would mean the stadium could have potentially looked a quarter empty, although it would be possible to hide much of that depending on how they sold the tickets.

The figure was given in the papers a couple of days later - maybe a review article linked in here somewhere at the time. The stadium itself holds about 80K for sporting events, and yes about a quarter at the end of the field was obviously unused due to the stage (but then you could make that up with what you can cram onto a football field - and also remember an Australian pro football field is a lot larger than an American one), and two blocks at the other end due to obstruction from tents/lighting towers. I went to Sydney 1 & Sydney 3 and the crowd was obviously far, far smaller for Sydney 3. GA at Sydney 1 was packed to the very back of the field, for Sydney 3 it was sparse from about halfway back and if packed in tight as per Sydney 1 would probably only be 2/3 full (people were making use of the space and spreading out), plus at the top of the stands all the way around, at least a quarter of seats were empty, which were full to the rafters for Sydney 1.

I know you are right about staggering the release of tickets and therefore still being able to legitimately claim a sell out, but the reality is there were a good 15,000 potential sales there that didn't happen for Sydney 3, that could have and you'd bet would have had there been the demand. Doesn't take away from the Sydney result though - it's massive and I do believe the best of the entire tour outside Dublin.

The odd thing was, the crowd was far far louder for Sydney 3 than Sydney 1.

Earnie Shavers said:
The figure was given in the papers a couple of days later - maybe a review article linked in here somewhere at the time. The stadium itself holds about 80K for sporting events, and yes about a quarter at the end of the field was obviously unused due to the stage (but then you could make that up with what you can cram onto a football field - and also remember an Australian pro football field is a lot larger than an American one), and two blocks at the other end due to obstruction from tents/lighting towers. I went to Sydney 1 & Sydney 3 and the crowd was obviously far, far smaller for Sydney 3. GA at Sydney 1 was packed to the very back of the field, for Sydney 3 it was sparse from about halfway back and if packed in tight as per Sydney 1 would probably only be 2/3 full (people were making use of the space and spreading out), plus at the top of the stands all the way around, at least a quarter of seats were empty, which were full to the rafters for Sydney 1.

I know you are right about staggering the release of tickets and therefore still being able to legitimately claim a sell out, but the reality is there were a good 15,000 potential sales there that didn't happen for Sydney 3, that could have and you'd bet would have had there been the demand. Doesn't take away from the Sydney result though - it's massive and I do believe the best of the entire tour outside Dublin.

The odd thing was, the crowd was far far louder for Sydney 3 than Sydney 1.

Where were your seats at Sydney 3?

Unsold GA tickets? Wow. Though I do know that the sightlines are better from seats than rear field.

I'm waiting for some fan photos that show some of the empty corners of the stadium.

I should know this, were the Aussie shows tiered pricing?

STING2 said:

Well, in terms of the tickets that were actually offered for sell...

This is VERY off-topic, but I've seen several people do this.

The word is "offered for SALE", not sell.

To clarify for those who do not have English as a first language:
I will sell you a ticket.
The ticket is for sale.
I sold the ticket.
The sale price of the ticket was...
They offered their tickets for sale.
They will sell their tickets.
They are selling their tickets.
Please sell me your ticket.

I know it's very minor - forgive me. But I believe that the internet should be a place to learn, which includes language as well as facts and figures.

Going back on-topic, I too am stunned by the success of Vertigo in Australia. U2 haven't been that popular in Australia/New Zealand since the Love Town tour - and part of that demand was due to "One Tree Hill". Seems like U2 is definitely going along the path of the Rolling Stones in terms of touring. But unlike the Stones, U2 can still generate #1 mulit-platinum, Grammy winning albums with Top 40 hit songs. Impressive!

Back
Top Bottom