Check Out The Australian Attendance Figures - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

No, Sydney 3 fell about 15-20,000 short of a sell out, and those tickets were all available. On the day of the show announcements were being made all over radio stations here that the ticket agent outlets around the city were going to stay open till as late as 8pm to give people a chance to grab a last minute sale. I know loads of people who picked up GA tickets in the couple of days before - people who heard others raving about Sydney 1 & 2 and only then decided to go. Without that push Sydney 3 probably would have fallen at least twice as short.

Most of us from Sydney were shocked that a 3rd show even went on sale, and I'm amazed the sales for it were even that good. Gunning for attendance of 225,000 (what 3 sell outs would have been) is huge for a city of 3.5million. That they nearly did it is amazing. It's a record for that stadium, but not a Sydney record for attendence over multiple shows in one visit.
If all all those tickets were in fact available for sale, then it would be mentioned in the boxscore. Promoters attempting to achieve a "sellout" will only put batches of tickets on sale in numbers that correspond directly to what is being purchased on a daily basis. There may be 15,000 potential seats in further capacity, but only part of that is being put on sale based on daily sales, and what they estimate will be the final number of people attempting to get tickets on the day of the show. They can change the number of tickets they put on sale at any time.

The Stones achieved a sellout of the same stadium with 58,000 tickets sold. The lower sellout capacity is because they had seats on the field as opposed to general admission, and not as many sections in the stands may have been released for sale.

In any event, where did you get your figures that show that the 3rd Sydney show fail short of 15,000 to 20,000 of selling the full capacity available for a concert? Remember, sometimes up to half of a football stadiums seating capacity for a football game cannot be used because of the large stage which obstructs even views that would be considered side views. That rate of drop off on the third show would mean the stadium could have potentially looked a quarter empty, although it would be possible to hide much of that depending on how they sold the tickets.

STING2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:41 AM
The figure was given in the papers a couple of days later - maybe a review article linked in here somewhere at the time. The stadium itself holds about 80K for sporting events, and yes about a quarter at the end of the field was obviously unused due to the stage (but then you could make that up with what you can cram onto a football field - and also remember an Australian pro football field is a lot larger than an American one), and two blocks at the other end due to obstruction from tents/lighting towers. I went to Sydney 1 & Sydney 3 and the crowd was obviously far, far smaller for Sydney 3. GA at Sydney 1 was packed to the very back of the field, for Sydney 3 it was sparse from about halfway back and if packed in tight as per Sydney 1 would probably only be 2/3 full (people were making use of the space and spreading out), plus at the top of the stands all the way around, at least a quarter of seats were empty, which were full to the rafters for Sydney 1.

I know you are right about staggering the release of tickets and therefore still being able to legitimately claim a sell out, but the reality is there were a good 15,000 potential sales there that didn't happen for Sydney 3, that could have and you'd bet would have had there been the demand. Doesn't take away from the Sydney result though - it's massive and I do believe the best of the entire tour outside Dublin.

The odd thing was, the crowd was far far louder for Sydney 3 than Sydney 1.

Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
The figure was given in the papers a couple of days later - maybe a review article linked in here somewhere at the time. The stadium itself holds about 80K for sporting events, and yes about a quarter at the end of the field was obviously unused due to the stage (but then you could make that up with what you can cram onto a football field - and also remember an Australian pro football field is a lot larger than an American one), and two blocks at the other end due to obstruction from tents/lighting towers. I went to Sydney 1 & Sydney 3 and the crowd was obviously far, far smaller for Sydney 3. GA at Sydney 1 was packed to the very back of the field, for Sydney 3 it was sparse from about halfway back and if packed in tight as per Sydney 1 would probably only be 2/3 full (people were making use of the space and spreading out), plus at the top of the stands all the way around, at least a quarter of seats were empty, which were full to the rafters for Sydney 1.

I know you are right about staggering the release of tickets and therefore still being able to legitimately claim a sell out, but the reality is there were a good 15,000 potential sales there that didn't happen for Sydney 3, that could have and you'd bet would have had there been the demand. Doesn't take away from the Sydney result though - it's massive and I do believe the best of the entire tour outside Dublin.

The odd thing was, the crowd was far far louder for Sydney 3 than Sydney 1.
Where were your seats at Sydney 3?
STING2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

GA.
Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:25 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Unsold GA tickets? Wow. Though I do know that the sightlines are better from seats than rear field.

I'm waiting for some fan photos that show some of the empty corners of the stadium.

I should know this, were the Aussie shows tiered pricing?
U2FanPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Well, in terms of the tickets that were actually offered for sell...

This is VERY off-topic, but I've seen several people do this.

The word is "offered for SALE", not sell.

To clarify for those who do not have English as a first language:
I will sell you a ticket.
The ticket is for sale.
I sold the ticket.
The sale price of the ticket was...
They offered their tickets for sale.
They will sell their tickets.
They are selling their tickets.
Please sell me your ticket.

I know it's very minor - forgive me. But I believe that the internet should be a place to learn, which includes language as well as facts and figures.

Going back on-topic, I too am stunned by the success of Vertigo in Australia. U2 haven't been that popular in Australia/New Zealand since the Love Town tour - and part of that demand was due to "One Tree Hill". Seems like U2 is definitely going along the path of the Rolling Stones in terms of touring. But unlike the Stones, U2 can still generate #1 mulit-platinum, Grammy winning albums with Top 40 hit songs. Impressive!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

This is VERY off-topic,
...then create a new thread.

adrball is offline   Reply With Quote