Can 1st week sales of new Coldplay album (X&Y) match those of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, after HTDAAB droping down the charts, it has now climbed again in Europe due to the tour. coldplay are having their tour before the same time as the release of the album which will keep sales high for a while, but when it starts to fall down the charts, there will be no tour to help it climb back up.

hopefully HTDAAB wont go into freefall when the tour ends.

fitz said:
2:0 for the Bomb :wink:

Yippee-kay-yea (that's sarcasm)

U2 had more promotion, more of a built in name, and Christmas. Not that I want Coldplay to do better. I want both U2 and Coldplay to do very well. I would like both to go well above quadruple platinum in the US.

Unfortunately U2 probably will not reach that mark, unless COBL or something else takes off.

So I am still hoping for Coldplay. I want some great rock album (besides Green Day) to pass 4 million. Alright, I am ready for a comment that X&Y is not a great rock album. :wink:

Neither X&Y nor American Idiot are great rock albums.
The former, ´cos it´s not really a rock album, yet it´s a good album in my eyes. And the latter, well, is there a chance a band like Green day are able to come up with great music?
Every time I start to listen to American Idiot I´m not able to finish it. There are just a couple of good songs there but the rest is crap.

bsp77 said:

Yippee-kay-yea (that's sarcasm)

U2 had more promotion, more of a built in name, and Christmas. Not that I want Coldplay to do better. I want both U2 and Coldplay to do very well. I would like both to go well above quadruple platinum in the US.

Unfortunately U2 probably will not reach that mark, unless COBL or something else takes off.

So I am still hoping for Coldplay. I want some great rock album (besides Green Day) to pass 4 million. Alright, I am ready for a comment that X&Y is not a great rock album. :wink:

i much prefer greenday to coldplay.
i like all 4 singles taken from american idiot, though i found the album generally poor.
X&Y however, i dont like any of it, all songs sound the same, just boring depressing tunes.

phanan said:

I'd bet that most people would pay for lawn seats to see U2 at the current Vertigo tour rates.

There is no possibly way to even categorize Coldplay in the same breath as U2 when it comes to ticket sales, and quite frankly, I don't know if there ever will be. They are so far apart.

Comparing U2 to Coldplay via concert sales is ridiculous. I never catagorized them in the same breath as U2. I was giving a logical reason as to why the Coldplay shows in ampitheaters have not sold out as one poster seemed to hint it was because of a poor album and/or their popularity. Some non-sellouts have to do with markets as well. U2 did not completely see out the Elevation tour in some midwest shows.

U2 has 25 years of followers, has 14 albums spanning into 3 decades, has toured the world, is in the R&R Hall of Fame, etc, etc. By my calcs, Coldplay has another 19+ years before you can compare them to U2 and compare their concert sales. They may not even make it that long.

fedeu2 said:
Neither X&Y nor American Idiot are great rock albums.
The former, ´cos it´s not really a rock album, yet it´s a good album in my eyes. And the latter, well, is there a chance a band like Green day are able to come up with great music?
Every time I start to listen to American Idiot I´m not able to finish it. There are just a couple of good songs there but the rest is crap.

American Idiot was the best reviewed rock album of last year. I don't expect everyone to agree (or to like Coldplay for that matter), I am just happy when rock albums do extremely well today. We all like to complain about the rap and pop ruling the airways (at least in the US) but everytime a rock band does well, people here start bickering.

Tallarico said:
I think that Coldplay's last album will start very hard on the charts in Europe and Usa....but i think that expecially in the Usa they aren't so popular like u2...my prevision is near 1.500 000 in a week in world chart.

Is it just me but everyone seem to compare Coldplay as next U2...or something like that!!!!

I REALLY think that they're SOOOOO far away from U2, they have a lot to lurn before even think about becoming the next U2, if it's even envisagable!!!! Chris Martin is a damn f****** pretentous!!!! He think that they'll become the next U2, but geez, they don't have the charisma, realness, good looking Larry-Bono (LOL), etc.

Sorry here, I'm not a "Coldplay-fan" but with reasons!!!!!!

mosquito said:
Is the bomb a rock album?

Yes, and so is Coldplay. They may not RAWK :rockon: but they are rock albums in the broad sense. Pink Floyd did not RAWK either but they are certainly one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

Hitsdailydouble:

18.77%

COLDPLAY 31,147

As we see, Coldplay will sell 150k-200k in the US in its third week. U2 sold 280,332 in its third week and had two other strong weeks afer that. I think that Coldplay have no chance! What do you think?

Week 3:280,332
Week 4:299,645
Week 5:350,013

i think Coldplay have NO chance even coming close to U2 on these first 5 weeks but, U2 then had a huge drop in sales and sales kept falling.
coldplays album may fall to 50-100k and be able to keep at that level for months.

we shall see.

No, but of course U2 had the advantage of xmas sales. The real question now is whether X&Y will have sold 8-9M in 28 weeks time...

ps - X&Y just sold 100K in UK in 3rd week (Bomb did 178K in 3rd week).

edge3 said:
No, but of course U2 had the advantage of xmas sales. The real question now is whether X&Y will have sold 8-9M in 28 weeks time...

ps - X&Y just sold 100K in UK in 3rd week (Bomb did 178K in 3rd week).

Only 100k in Uk, I didn't know that. As we see, X&Y is falling faster than the bomb. Now, it will be interesting to see what X&Y will do in the next weeks.

wow, bomb 3rd week beat X&Y's.
but bombs 3rd week was at xmas time.

the first weeks sales for bomb in the UK was 200k, and 3rd week 178k, what was the 2nd week?

Zoovation said:

As we see, Coldplay will sell 150k-200k in the US in its third week. U2 sold 280,332 in its third week and had two other strong weeks afer that. I think that Coldplay have no chance! What do you think?

Week 3:280,332
Week 4:299,645
Week 5:350,013
Do you want to be a little bit objective? How many albums was sold in the states that weeks and how many now? In the christmas the albums( all of that) sell much more than in the month of june . Dont you know that?

I would be ready to bet everything I have on Coldplay not being around 25 years after their first album.

The OOTS said:

Comparing U2 to Coldplay via concert sales is ridiculous. I never catagorized them in the same breath as U2. I was giving a logical reason as to why the Coldplay shows in ampitheaters have not sold out as one poster seemed to hint it was because of a poor album and/or their popularity. Some non-sellouts have to do with markets as well. U2 did not completely see out the Elevation tour in some midwest shows.

U2 has 25 years of followers, has 14 albums spanning into 3 decades, has toured the world, is in the R&R Hall of Fame, etc, etc. By my calcs, Coldplay has another 19+ years before you can compare them to U2 and compare their concert sales. They may not even make it that long.

If you don´t consider Bomb, yes, American Idiot is the best reviewed album of last year, ONLY in the US.
Actually, HTDAAB is the best reviewed album of 2004, again, in the US alone.

bsp77 said:

American Idiot was the best reviewed rock album of last year. I don't expect everyone to agree (or to like Coldplay for that matter), I am just happy when rock albums do extremely well today. We all like to complain about the rap and pop ruling the airways (at least in the US) but everytime a rock band does well, people here start bickering.

Mosquito is right. We cannot compare sales of X&Y to sales of Bomb since they were released in very different times of the year.
Having said that, I don´t think X&Y will surpass HTDAAB in the US, let alone the rest of the world. I finally got to hear the album, and while it´s a good one, it´s hardly the kind of album Coldplay needs to make true their pretentious dream of being the biggest band in the world.
The reason why the left out maybe the best new track (Kingdom Come) and throw it as a bonus in some special editions, is beyond me.

mosquito said:

Do you want to be a little bit objective? How many albums was sold in the states that weeks and how many now? In the christmas the albums( all of that) sell much more than in the month of june . Dont you know that?

Global Charts:

X&Y #1 with 520,000 copies sold

Bomb sold 820,000 in week 3 (but during Christmas Time)

X&Y just sold 103,598 in it's 4th week (still # 1). Bomb did 178K-162K in 4th week & went down to # 3. (i can't quite remember the exact figure right now - i'll have to look it up later).

so approximately

4 weeks of X&Y in UK :-
450k + 280k + 100k + 100k = 930k

HTDAAB first 4 weeks :-
200k + ?(150) + 178 + 170 = 698k

not far behind for bomb considering the hype of coldplay and its first week sales.

Bomb first 5 in UK

200,866 + 127,982 + 178,539 + 163,641 + 184,000

4 weeks = 671,028 copies
5 weeks = 855028 copies

Saludos.

sm said:
Bomb first 5 in UK

200,866 + 127,982 + 178,539 + 163,641 + 184,000

4 weeks = 671,028 copies
5 weeks = 855028 copies

Saludos.

Yeah, that's right - 163,641 in 4th week. But it definitely decreased in sales in 5th week. I have a figure of about 162,000 (not 184,000). In 6th week it sold about 27,000 (# 14 on chart) & should have sold about 860,000 in total. :wink:

Last edited:
Hmm, I don´t think Coldplay will be able to sell 150,000 copies or more next week in the UK, so the gap will hopefully narrow.
By the way, is there any information about the second single from X&Y?
I can see both The hardest part and Fix you receiving a lot of airplay, both in the UK and US. The rest of the album, I dunno.

edge3 said:

Yeah, that's right - 163,641 in 4th week. But it definitely decreased in sales in 5th week. I have a figure of about 162,000 (not 184,000). In 6th week it sold about 27,000 (# 14 on chart) & should have sold about 860,000 in total. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom