Can 1st week sales of new Coldplay album (X&Y) match those of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thelaj said:
Do you think Bomb will eventually reach 10m? If so, when?

Now that sales have slowed down, it will likely take at least another 3 years.

X&Y @ MediaTraffic : # 40 (last week on chart ?) with 51,000 (surely they cannot be using the same method of calculation as when Bomb did just 31,000 @ # 40 in early Autumn / Fall last year...&, last week, album sales in UK / US were again v.small).

Last edited:
X&Y has indeed dropped off the global MediaTraffic album chart this week. It's total after 47 consecutive chart run weeks is 9,180,000.

Bomb's 41 consecutive week MT chart run total was 8,188,000.

Last edited:
So it hasn´t even reached the 10 million mark as regards sales to consumers, not so much ahead of Bomb (which is at about 9,5 million).

edge3 said:
X&Y has indeed dropped off the global MediaTraffic album chart this week. It's total after 47 consecutive chart run weeks is 9,180,000.

Bomb's 41 consecutive week MT chart run total was 8,188,000.

fedeu2 said:
So it hasn´t even reached the 10 million mark as regards sales to consumers, not so much ahead of Bomb (which is at about 9,5 million).

Considering MediaTraffic's 'nearly 95%' of total sales coverage figure X&Y should now be at about 9.7 million sales to consumers...&, yes, i also now have Bomb at (v.close to) 9.5 million.

ps - i think it's really quite likely that they've each now shipped 10 million copies worldwide.

Last edited:
edge3 said:

Considering MediaTraffic's 'nearly 95%' of total sales coverage figure X&Y should now be at about 9.7 million sales to consumers...&, yes, i also now have Bomb at (v.close to) 9.5 million.

ps - i think it's really quite likely that they've each now shipped 10 million copies worldwide.

In light of the fact that we have learned that Mediatraffic only gets actual sales figures for 5 countries and estimates the rest, I don't think we can claim with the same level of certainty that the figures they report plus the 95% coverage is accurate. I think estimates that start with known certifications and then attempt to determine sales beyond those certifications are probably just as accurate.

Looking at the BOMB's album sales, I used to think it was close to 9.5 million in shipments, I think now it is probably right at 9 million with actual sales at 8.9 million.

I think you stated that in 2005, it was reported that BOMB had shipped 7.5 million copies outside the United Kingdom, then plus UK shipments that would put the total at 8.7 million. Plus, I believe McGuinness said during 2005 that the album was getting close to 9 million in sales. Remember, his figure is always a shipment figure, since to the band, and album shipped is an album sold.

What we have not seen a lot of since the start of 2005, is new certification levels for the album, except in Ireland and the UK. So based on the above information, I'd say the album is at 9 million copies. With the album only charting in Brazil and Argentina currently, weekly global sales are now extremely low.

KUEFC09U2 said:
thus making bomb a failure commercially?

Absolutely not! The BOMB has actually been more successful than ATYCLB given the change in the market environement for album sales. There have only been 25 albums to sell 10 million copies or more during this decade and BOMB is almost on that list. No matter how you stack it, BOMB has been a massive success.

Admittedly i can't for sure prove shipments of 10m...this is what i've got for up to date shipments / certifications (not just UK & Ireland actually) :

7.5m outside UK as at Jan ' 05 + 1.3m UK + extra 100k cert in Spain + extra 100k cert in Canada + extra 70k cert in Australia + extra 20k cert Argentina + extra 30k (? definitely 15k) cert Ireland = 9,120,000

Last edited:
If we're now saying that MediaTraffic's coverage is, & always has been, at 100% then STING's theory, & therefore sales figures, would indeed transpire : 8.9-9m for Bomb, 9.2-9.3m for X&Y.

Back
Top Bottom