bon jovi sold more tickets than u2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darth Sidious

Babyface
The band that carries his name ‑‑ BON JOVI ‑‑ as you probably don't need to be told ‑‑ has sold more than 100 million records and played before more than 32 million fans worldwide. Jon and Bon Jovi has a new album this fall ‑‑ and a new world tour. But you'll get to see him first this year. And he's on the cover of the USA WEEKEND issue in your goodie bags.

I know you're new an' all that but I must point out that the punishment for mentioning Bon Jovi here is death. :drool:

Oh, no. Not again!

Darth Sidious said:
The band that carries his name ‑‑ BON JOVI ‑‑ as you probably don't need to be told ‑‑ has sold more than 100 million records and played before more than 32 million fans worldwide. Jon and Bon Jovi has a new album this fall ‑‑ and a new world tour. But you'll get to see him first this year. And he's on the cover of the USA WEEKEND issue in your goodie bags.

Darth Sidious said:

Please find a bon jovi forum....:|

theres no way jovi could have played to 32M fans!
U2 have done bigger tours, jovi cant even sell-out stadiums

ybird3k said:
theres no way jovi could have played to 32M fans!
U2 have done bigger tours, jovi cant even sell-out stadiums

While I also doubt the 32M claim (as that would mean about 9 Vertigo sized tours), they have been a very popular live act. And they still sell out stadiums.

:)

Over the years BON Jovi has sold a lot of albums around the world but I'm not sure they have actually gone over 100 million albums yet. They have sold 32 million albums in the United States, and while in later years they have been much more popular outside the United States, 80 million albums sold worldwide sounds more correct. Of course, adding in all the singles that were sold, I suppose you could say 100 million records.

Bon Jovi plays and does sellout stadiums outside North America, but not on the level that U2 does. In the United States, Bon Jovi concert drawing ability has been renewed and they can now sellout some stadiums in the biggest cities in the United States. But their still well behind U2 in this area as well.

As far as album sales of the latest product, BON JOVI's last album only went GOLD in the USA and only sold about 2.5 million copies worldwide. The latest album looks like its selling better, but probably won't sell more than 3 to 4 million worldwide when all is said and done.

U2 on the other hand have sold around 10 million copies each of their last two studio albums. 12 million for ATYCLB and over 9 million so far for HTDAAB.

I believe Bon Jovi HAVE played to 32M million people but they've played around twice as many gigs as U2 : 2,000 or so to U2's 1,000 or so.

Also, i think this 32M figure may include loads of big festivals (& such like) whereas U2's 20M figure is just their own (single paying) concerts.

If you include festivals (& such like) then U2 have played to around 25M people.

Regarding record sales : Yes, i believe Bon Jovi have sold 100M records but that mark was allegedly reached just a couple of years ago & they haven't sold many since then (maybe 5M at most).

U2 have now sold probably, at least, 160M records (145M albums + probably, at least, 15M singles) so Bon Jovi still have a long way to go !

Last edited:
edge3 said:
I believe Bon Jovi HAVE played to 32M million people but they've played around twice as many gigs as U2 : 2,000 or so to U2's 1,000 or so.

Also, i think this 32M figure may include loads of big festivals (& such like) whereas U2's 20M figure is just their own (single paying) concerts.

If you include festivals (& such like) then U2 have played to around 25M people.

Regarding record sales : Yes, i believe Bon Jovi have sold 100M records but that mark was allegedly reached just a couple of years ago & they haven't sold many since then (maybe 5M at most).

U2 have now sold probably, at least, 160M records (145M albums + probably, at least, 15M singles) so Bon Jovi still have a long way to go !

Do you have a list of Bon Jovi concert dates listing the venue's played? I find it hard to believe they have actually played more Arena/Stadium shows than U2 have since 1987, but maybe they have. I remember seeing some of the first boxscores for the tour for Keep The Faith in 1992 and the band failed to sellout just one arena show in BOSTON, U2 soldout the centrum on the WAR tour, but Bon Jovi could not sell it out in 1992 despite the massive success of previous albums like Slippery When Wet, New Jersey etc. So I'd be interested in seeing a complete list of dates.

STING2 said:

Do you have a list of Bon Jovi concert dates listing the venue's played? I find it hard to believe they have actually played more Arena/Stadium shows than U2 have since 1987, but maybe they have. I remember seeing some of the first boxscores for the tour for Keep The Faith in 1992 and the band failed to sellout just one arena show in BOSTON, U2 soldout the centrum on the WAR tour, but Bon Jovi could not sell it out in 1992 despite the massive success of previous albums like Slippery When Wet, New Jersey etc. So I'd be interested in seeing a complete list of dates.

According to Pimm's book, U2 played to 10,329 people in their Centrum's concert with a capacity of 11,000.

Anyway, LA and Worcester numbers were incredible for a band with just 3 albums and only one "hit" single that reached #53 on Billboard Hot 100!

Vox

Last edited:
Vox02 said:

According to Pimm's book, U2 played to 10,329 people in their Centrum's concert with a capacity of 11,000.

Anyway, LA and Worcester numbers were incredible for a band with just 3 albums and only one "hit" single that reached #53 on Billboard Hot 100!

Vox

This is roughly how many albums U2 had sold in the United States when they played the centrum on the WAR tour:

Boy 130,000

October 100,000

WAR 400,000

TOTAL: 630,000

By comparison, by 1992 when BON JOVI played the centrum, they had sold between 15 and 20 million copies in the United States and I'll have to check again, but I believe the attendance for the show was like 9,450.

STING2 said:

I don't have the list...i just read that they've played around 2,000 shows in an offical Bon Jovi book.

Btw - didn't Bon Jovi start gigging in around 1985 ?

Back in 1995, with a new album and a Greatest Hits/Always megahit, Bon Jovi played in Barcelona with aprox 35,000 tickets sold and around 20,000 unsold. Ah! The support was Van Halen and The Pretenders.

Two years later U2 sold 60,000+ tickets in the same stadium :)

Vox

mosquito said:
I have found two websites with " almost"every bon jovi gig of their history, but i don´t know if are completely right.
Here are:http://bj-world.tripod.com/tours/tours.html
http://www.bonjovimuseum.com/main/index1.html

Thanks for the info, it appears that since 1984 Bon Jovi have played around 850 shows, NOT 2,000. Most of these shows were in Arena's and did not use behind the stage seating which means an average capacity of 15,000 per show. On both the Slippery When Wet Tour and New Jersey Tour, nearly all of the shows were in Arena's. The only stadium played in North America on those tours was one show at Giants Stadium.

Bon Jovi did not really begin to play lots of stadium shows in Europe and other places until 1995.

Instead of having played to 32 million people in their career, it appears they played to at most 15 million people. Also, most of their 1984 shows were spent opening up for KISS.

It's amazing how much ball shit is thrown around then : i'm sure a Q magazine journalist said 32M a few years back & i think Parkinson (UK chat show host) quized Bon Jovi himself about the 32M figure (also a few years back) & he said something like 'i believe that is true' (but maybe that was about the 100M record sales figure). And that Bon Jovi book definitly said that they'd played 2,000 odd gigs.

Don't get me wrong though : I always thought the 32M figure was nigh on impossible - maybe the Stones but surely no one else.

Back
Top Bottom