BILLBOARD - Week 3 - U2 #2 !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shutdown

The Fly
Edited By Jonathan Cohen. December 15, 2004, 10:30 AM ET

Ludacris 'Lights' Up Album Chart

photo
A trip to the "Red Light District" scores Ludacris his second No. 1 on The Billboard 200. The rapper/actor's fourth Disturbing Tha Peace/Def Jam South effort sold 322,000 copies in its debut week, landing it in first place and ending the one-week reign of "MTV Ultimate Mash-Ups Presents Jay-Z/Linkin Park: Collision Course."

While it looks like it will be a quick stay in the top 10 for Jay-Z and Linkin Park's Warner Bros./Roc-A-Fella collaboration, which drops to No. 9 on a 49% landslide to 186,000, history says Atlanta's Ludacris may be in for a longer stay.

Last year's "Chicken-N-Beer" also bowed atop The Billboard 200 with 430,000 copies, and remained in the top tier for five weeks. The set has sold 2.5 million copies to date, but his best seller remains 2001's "Word of Mouf," which entered at No. 3 with 282,000 units and has sold 3.4 million to date.

Earlier this year, Ludacris enjoyed a 12-week stint at No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 as a guest on Usher's "Yeah!" which also featured Lil Jon. The trio has its eyes on the top again as Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz' "Lovers and Friends" (featuring Ludacris and Usher) moved 10-7 on that tally last week.

Remaining steadfast at No. 2 for the second week on The Billboard 200, U2's "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (Interscope) saw sales fall only a slight 3% to 280,000 copies. Eminem's "Encore" (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope), meanwhile, rises 4-3 rise on a 10% boost to 273,000 copies.

Coming in just behind the superstar recording acts is actor/singer Lindsay Lohan, whose full-length debut, "Speak" (Casablanca/Universal) bows at No. 4 on the strength of 261,000 units. A veteran of such films as "Mean Girls" and "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen," Lohan is scheduled to appear on MTV's New Years Eve special to perform her single "Rumors."

The rest of the top 10 comprises titles that experienced a sales resurgence after the previous week's slump, beginning with the 17th installment of "NOW That's What I Call Music!" (Sony BMG/Universal/EMI/Zomba/Capitol), which jumps 8-5 move on a 44% boost to 243,000 copies.

Shania Twain's Mercury Nashville greatest hits set remains at No. 6 for a second week after a 22% increase to 237,000, as Destiny's Child's "Destiny Fulfilled" (Sony Urban Music/Columbia) jumps 7-9 on a 30% rise to 214,000. Toby Keith's "Greatest Hits 2" (DreamWorks Nashville/Interscope) gained 35% to 191,000 and responds with a 10-8 chart move.

After falling to No. 13 last week, Clay Aiken's "Merry Christmas With Love" (RCA) rebounds to close out the top 10 on a gain of 35% to 181,000 copies.

Though the No. 13 entry for Mario's "Turning Point" (J) isn't his highest chart debut, he scored his best sales week with 161,000 units. The R&B artist's 2002 self-titled debut entered at No. 9 with 91,000 copies; it has sold 587,000 to date.

New York rapper Cam'ron bows at No. 20 with his second Roc-A-Fella album, "Purple Haze." While the set sold 123,000 copies, 2002's "Come Home With Me" started at No. 2 with 226,000 copies and has sold 1.1 million to date.

Third-season "American Idol" runner-up Diana DeGarmo posts a No. 52 opening with her RCA debut "Blue Skies," which sold 47,000 copies.

Overall U.S. album sales were significantly better than the previous week, up 22% at 21.8 million units, but 11% lower than the same week last year. Sales for the year are beating those of 2003 by about 2% with 605 million units.

-- Margo Whitmire, L.A

Even though a slight fall in sales, still good numbers and great they held onto second spot - maybe number 1 next week ?

Mike

prediction for next week? i bet for an increase and, maybe, for the top spot (i think the only real contender for the next 2 weeks will be Eminem..2 pac and ahanti don't seem to be a real threat assuming that U2 will increase album sales as Christmas approaches )

Last edited:
Not bad, nice break we got from Soundscan as we beat Eminem by 7,000 copies... surely, the one I bought for our office's Secret Santa gift exchange helped... :)

I'm going to buy it for my mom's christmas present this week. Everyone else should do the same for a christmas present. Getting back at #1 would be so cool. I was sure that it would be at #3, but they managed to fight off Eminem. And to think we were all predicting the album would debut at #3, and fall after that.

Very good news.

Hopefully it has the staying power of ATYCLB.

I suppose if Vertigo can grab a Grammy it will help.

And if the other singles can make an impact.

Keep in mind that the tour hasnt even started yet and a tour always equals record sales. This album is doing as well as U2 have done in a very long time if not ever out of the gate.

I think it'll be #1 next week....Ludacris will have a large dropoff....I think U2 will actually gain in sales.

Back
Top Bottom