Billboard, Changing the Charts, Will Count Streaming Services

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this came along about 4 months too late for our guys. It would have been very interesting to see what effect this would have had on the charting of SOI.
I mean, a big part of Apples 80 million people who "accessed" SOI was streaming.

Would have been very interesting - But U2's luck this time around seems to be endlessly bad.

Well this came along about 4 months too late for our guys. It would have been very interesting to see what effect this would have had on the charting of SOI.
I mean, a big part of Apples 80 million people who "accessed" SOI was streaming.

Would have been very interesting - But U2's luck this time around seems to be endlessly bad.

Ever think that U2's 80mil may have been the reason for the change? :hmm:

Maybe the industry is finally realizing what we've said for years on other parts of the forum; that the way most people buy and listen to music has drastically changed in the last decade, especially in the last few years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Ever think that U2's 80mil may have been the reason for the change? :hmm:

Maybe the industry is finally realizing what we've said for years on other parts of the forum; that the way most people buy and listen to music has drastically changed in the last decade, especially in the last few years.

It could very well mean that U2 & Apple's actions sped up this change in the Billboard charts. It was a similar situation 10 years ago with the release of Vertigo. That song had huge downloads, but those weren't counted for the Billboard singles chart. A few months later Billboard changed its policy regarding single downloads (and Vertigo saw an increase on the Hot 100, though by then it was too late to reach the upper section of the chart).

It could very well mean that U2 & Apple's actions sped up this change in the Billboard charts. It was a similar situation 10 years ago with the release of Vertigo. That song had huge downloads, but those weren't counted for the Billboard singles chart. A few months later Billboard changed its policy regarding single downloads (and Vertigo saw an increase on the Hot 100, though by then it was too late to reach the upper section of the chart).

Agreed. It was the same situation in the UK singles chart. Vertigo was #1 in the then recently launched downloads chart for I believe it was 10 non-consecutive weeks (would have been 14-15 weeks had it not been for Band Aid 20). Sadly this did not help it in the singles chart as it could have spent multiple weeks at the top instead of just 1 week. About a month later and downloads were incorporated into the official singles chart.

Back
Top Bottom