Biggest Grossing Tours Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Khub Bhalo Achi, genesis 199125. How long are you living there? Great to see a fellow
Bangladeshi U2-lover in this forum.:applaud::applaud::applaud:

btw, does anyone know the attendance figures for the Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels Tour?

1989-90 North american tour. 55 shows reported(it seems 5 shows missing,the total of the tour is 60) to amusement business magazine, Attendance:3,268,840. Gross: $ 92,264,186

thanks, mosquito. and to hasin73, ive lived in texas all my life, but i visit bangladesh every few years with my family. how big would you say the U2 fanbase is in bangladesh?

thanks, mosquito. and to hasin73, ive lived in texas all my life, but i visit bangladesh every few years with my family. how big would you say the U2 fanbase is in bangladesh?

Not very big. Say about a thousand.... and DIE-HARD U2 fans can be
counted by fingers. V-E-R-Y sad.

I think i am the most die-hard U2 fan in whole Bangladesh.

What a tedious debate, I just wonder where Moggio and Maoil took their information from. :ohmy:

Isnt the only reason Rolling Stones gross more than u2 because of the scandalous ticket prices? I remember my old boss planning going to see the Stones at a gig but being put of by the £90+ price of the standing ticket. I beleive that was the cheapest for the gig.

Merry Christmas to y'all!!

Does anybody have the concert grosses from the 6 shows from the Conspiracy of Hope tour back in 1986. I only have the attendance figures.

4-6 San Francisco, Cow Palace 13.380
6-6 Los Angeles, The Forum 15.944
8-6 Denver, McNichols Sports Arena 8.368
11-6 Atlanta, The Omni 11.592
13-6 Chicago, Rosemont Horizon 16.625
15-6 East Rutherford, Giants Stadium 50.207

How do you think 360 will fair in the current economic climate ? I cant see the tour matching Vertigo for GROSS or attendance.

I think U2/LiveNation seem pretty confident about this tour. They did book an 80,000 capacity in Norman, OK. Betcha nobody saw that coming!!!

There dont appear to be many shows, although with 3-4 days between shows it looks as if theres room to double up in some venues if demand is there.

i would have expected 3 shows in Wembley, (london) and 3 in Croke (dublin)
also only one in Spain, germany and Italy.

Can only imagine theyre playing it safe and waiting to see how much spare demand there is. At least i hope.

There dont appear to be many shows, although with 3-4 days between shows it looks as if theres room to double up in some venues if demand is there.

i would have expected 3 shows in Wembley, (london) and 3 in Croke (dublin)
also only one in Spain, germany and Italy.

Can only imagine theyre playing it safe and waiting to see how much spare demand there is. At least i hope.

Yes, spot on - they always play it safe rather than be bold and announce what they have actually booked in advance. My take is that in Europe they will sell out the 25 (rumoured) dates pretty quick - esp as some countries/big cities not being played this leg . I agree 3 dates in Dublin, at least 2 in London (if attendance 100k per show then maybe 3 stretching it) and I would be surprised by extra dates in Sheffield (near to me but loads will travel from Manchester & Liverpool) and Cardiff Mike :wave:

I was surprised to see them playing Don Valley, Sheffield. I had never heard of it, and considering all the BIG stadiums in rhe UK this seems a strange choice. i'm guessing as its athletics stadium, there will be more standing room and possibly only stands around part of the track? the venue in Nice, France, looked to be a similar thing.

I expect a second and maybe even a third date in Amsterdam as well. Vertigo had 3 Amsterdam dates in the same venue which sold out very quickly.

That's definitely not true.

This summer, Madonna just grossed over $116 million USD from only 17 UK/European shows. That works out to be nearly $7 million per show.

And recently, in 2006-2007, Barbra Streisand grossed nearly $95 million USD from only 27 shows worldwide. In North America, from only 18 shows, she grossed over $76 million and averaged over $4.2 million per show.

U2, The Police & The Rolling Stones can't do that.

Now imagine how high their overall grosses would be if Madonna & Streisand did 100+ show tours like many other artists...

Whatever. The point is, overall, she's a larger draw than U2, The Police & The Rolling Stones are.

This just goes to show that he really didn't know what he was talking about:

Remember, "U2, The Police & The Rolling Stones can't do that."

Moggio: This summer, Madonna just grossed over $116 million USD from only 17 UK/European shows. That works out to be nearly $7 million per show.

Reality:U2's first 17 UK/European shows grossed 137 million and averaged 8 million per night (you cant do that...lol)

Moggio:And recently, in 2006-2007, Barbra Streisand grossed nearly $95 million USD from only 27 shows worldwide. In North America, from only 18 shows, she grossed over $76 million and averaged over $4.2 million per show.

Reality:U2's first 27 shows grossed 207 million (just a tad more than the 95 mill Streisand made..lol)

U2's first 18 North American shows made 107 million and averaged 6 million per show.

Moggio:Now imagine how high their overall grosses would be if Madonna & Streisand did 100+ show tours like many other artists...

Reality:Madonna grossed an amazing $408 million from 85 concerts. We have official boxscores for U2's first 67 shows (18 LESS shows) and they have totaled $452 million. So thats roughly $50 million MORE from 18 LESS shows. Yeah Moggio.... IMAGINE if they did 100+ shows, how about if U2 played 144 like the Stones did on a Bigger Band...LOL

But I thought U2 "Cant do that".... to bad he was a biased troll.

Anyone know the highest grossing concert tours in North America? I know the Stones had more than $160 million on A Bigger Bang and U2360 has $123 million so far.

Anyone know the highest grossing concert tours in North America? I know the Stones had more than $160 million on A Bigger Bang and U2360 has $123 million so far.

Total? I think A Bigger Bang did about $300 million over the span of the entire tour. in a single year, I believe A Bigger Bang did $162 million in it's first year.

Last year Paul M said the 16 shows in America that were rescheduled for this year grossed about $100 million. They have added an additional 9 shows to the North American leg this year so with an average of $6.2 million per show the NA leg this year should gross somewhere around $155 million.

I knew the Stones did more than $160 million in North America in 2005, but they had more shows in 2006, so maybe more than $200 million. I wonder if the combined 1st leg and 2nd leg totals for U2360 North America will pass the Stones' 2005-2006 shows.

Rolling Stones
A Bigger Bang Tour
North America 2005 - 2006
ATTENDANCE: 2,120,515
GROSS: $289,474,891
SHOWS: 77
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE: 27,539
AVERAGE GROSS: $3,759,414
AVERAGE TICKET: $137

Rolling Stones
A Bigger Bang Tour

U2 grossed 124 million in NA in 2009. With 25 shows in 2011, I agree with Robbrecon72 in that they will gross roughly 155 mill but I think it might be closer to 165/170 mill (3 Mexico, 2 Montreal, Mocton,Philly, NY, Oak, Minn and Chicago will all be HUGE shows (70k+ per show). That would mean U2 could gross between 279 mill to 294 mill in NA for 360. Keep in mind, that would be in roughly 30 LESS shows that tbe Stones did per tbe above numbers.

Rolling Stones
A Bigger Bang Tour

The above is actually incorrect.

Rolling Stones combined gross and attendance in the United States/Canada on the A BIGGER BANG TOUR

GROSS: $292,574,732
ATTENDANCE: 2,142,903
AVERAGE GROSS: $3,703,478
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE: 27,125
SHOWS: 79
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $136.53

These figures do NOT include the two shows they played in Mexico and the one show they played in Puerto Rico.

The above is actually incorrect.

I didn't include the two shows at Beacon Theater, beause these are the only North American shows without any official box office numbers.
So I assume these must be the official figures?

New York City, NY
Beacon Theater
2006-29-10, 11-01
Gross: $3,099,841
Attendance: 22,388
Shows: 2
Average Ticket Price: $138,46

I didn't include the two shows at Beacon Theater, beause these are the only North American shows without any official box office numbers.
So I assume these must be the official figures?

New York City, NY
Beacon Theater
2006-29-10, 11-01
Gross: $3,099,841
Attendance: 22,388
Shows: 2
Average Ticket Price: $138,46

Perhaps, I don't know either. I just have the totals for the individual legs of the tour as well as many individual shows, which allows you to come up with the figures.

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...uts-attendance-other-statistics-199248-7.html

Found another interesting quote:

Moggio: "ANYONE who thinks U2 will gross more than $600 million on their 360 tour (based on 90-100 shows AND ONLY because of strategic scheduling), is completely out to lunch."

Well, lets go get some lunch because U2 have already grossed $519 million and once they hit 100 shows, they should be at roughly $650-675 million. Not to mention that he always posted a total show number around 100 because he clearly felt that there was not enough demand for U2 to play more shows then that given their 360 touring set up. So far, there are 110 shows schedules and there are rumors of up to 10-15 more.

Whats really funny about his post is that even if U2 ONLY grossed 600 million, that would still be 6 million per show, which would be the highest per show average in history.

When all is said and done, U2 will own the highest grossing tour, highest grossing tour adjusted for inflation, highest average per show gross, highest average per show gross adjusted for inflation, most attended tour and highest average attendance per show (large scale tour). Some how though, Moggio will try and spin the FACTS and say that even though U2 own all those records (by a wide margin mind you) they still aren't the biggest draw because....blah....blah...blah....

If you look back through his posts over the past few years, he writes that U2 aren't the biggest draw and that the Stones, Madonna, Pick Floyd (dont exist) are bigger. The odd thing is, while THAT message has been consistent, he has changed his predictions for the tour gross for 360.

So, he initial thought U2 360 would gross $450 million and that this is why U2 is not the biggest draw.

Then he thought U2 360 would gross $600 million and that this is why U2 is not the biggest draw (so apparently a 33% increase in total gross didn't impress him).

Then he thought U2 360 would gross no more then $700 million and that is why U2 is not the biggest draw (again, a 56% higher gross than he thought they were capable of still didn't impress him).

Then he thought U2 360 would gross no more then $750 million and that is why U2 is not the biggest draw (now 67% higher still doesn't impress...lol)

Unfortunately, he has left the message board but not it appears that U2, should they add the strongly rumored 10-15 date final leg) would gross close to $850 million. Some how though I feel he would still not be impressed by the fact that he severely underestimated U2's world wide demand.

The thing is, if you asked me three years ago, I would have said that U2 would gross $450-$500 million TOPS (just like he did). However, like most non-biased people, I can admit that my expectations were blown away by what U2 have accomplished. I never thought they would be able to play to as many people all over the world as they have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom