best buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mac101

Babyface
does any one shop at real record stores any more?best buy sucks and you all need to stop buying your music at a place like that...please....and by the way i am perdicting that the first week sales will top 1 million...

i got the super deluxe version of the cd that normally goes for 35 bucks for 22 at best buy

the standard version was going for 7.99

nothing wrong with that

why does best buy suck?

I don't buy my CD's from local indie ran record stores because they charge a lot more than Best Buy does. I love buying used vinyl and hard to find CDS from local record shops though. But honestly, when I want a new release I will rather drive to Best Buy and get it for 9.99 instead of the usually 16 dollars from local record shops.

david said:
I don't buy my CD's from local indie ran record stores because they charge a lot more than Best Buy does. I love buying used vinyl and hard to find CDS from local record shops though. But honestly, when I want a new release I will rather drive to Best Buy and get it for 9.99 instead of the usually 16 dollars from local record shops.

Agreed.

I believe Best Buy and Circuit City undercutting the costs of CDs are to blame for 'real record stores' going out of business. Who'd pay $18.99 when they could get the same thing for $12.99? The only thing 'real' record stores are good for now is rarer stuff the chains don't carry, but that market is being cut into by second hand shops, and, yes, the internet (ebay, amazon, etc)

I HATE to see reports that online file sharing is running 'real record stores' out of business and giving the RIAA more excuses to crack down on ordinary people. The real culprit is Best Buy and CC. You don't see their CD sales slacking, do you? It's not the internet!!

The reason they can sell for less is of course that they sell a lot more stuff, computers, appliances, cameras, etc., while the 'real record store' has to make all their money from CDs, maybe DVDs and posters too. Also, they are usually in malls which charge a very high rent. So you do see Tower, Fye and Sam Goodys, as well as privately owned places, going down but it's the superstore chains killing them, not file sharing. Anyone else agree?

Well, you cannot blame CC and Best Buy for being large and leveraging on economies of scale. I guess that is just plain-vanilla capitalism. My sense is that small record stores should focus on more of a niche music (world music, jazz, classical, collector's music) and less on mainstream CDs as they have no way of competing with these giants.

And ebay and other online places are taking away that 'niche.' There willl soon be no place for a record store, and it's not napster's fault though it is getting the blame.

I believe focusing on niche markets and mebbe some sort of consolidation between stores would help. Let's face it, there are pros and cons to buying from Best Buy instead of the record shop. Competition breeds innovation. Anyways, Circuit City and Best Buy's music selection IMO has been going down the tubes as of late IMO and that is including the aspects of where these stores are located (I know a more urban Best Buy/ Circuit City) will cater to a more hip hop customer base).

I like Virgin or HMV for my CDs... Personally, I prefer imports (due to bonus tracks, etc.) for most CDs and they have a decent amount there... at least much more than Best Buy or WalMart.

I get most of my cd's at Best Buy or Target--especially on release day as they are even cheaper then. I won't buy cds at Walmart because they censor them.

I go to local record shops for imports though & if I am looking for a cheap used cd.

i buy everything via internet from Play.com...no shipping cost, great customer service and good prices (at least for me:mind that in Italy new cds cost about 18-21€...24-28$)

who really cares if 'real record stores' go out of business anyway? if they cant provide a product that is competitively priced they really shouldnt be in business anyway.

if i cant get stuff cheaper at some bigger place or the internet im gonna do that.

plus i dont think best buy and circuit city charging lower prices is the reason for people buying less cds. If anything lower prices would make people buy more cds.

I think the reason for less cd's being sold is everyone has a cd burner these days. Before burners if a friend got a good cd I'd have to go out and buy it too, now Ill just ask my friend to burn me a copy.

Flying FuManchu said:
I believe focusing on niche markets and mebbe some sort of consolidation between stores would help. Let's face it, there are pros and cons to buying from Best Buy instead of the record shop. Competition breeds innovation. Anyways, Circuit City and Best Buy's music selection IMO has been going down the tubes as of late IMO and that is including the aspects of where these stores are located (I know a more urban Best Buy/ Circuit City) will cater to a more hip hop customer base).

To me the music selection at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Borders...any of the mass retailers...sucks. I very, very rarely buy anything from them. They simply do not have what I like. They cater to people who will buy what everyone else is buying and not to people who want something different. It's getting almost impossible to find an independent record stores anymore (always been a challenge for me as I live in a rural area).

In many ways it's so much easier for me to just order everything on the internet, and generally I do (I'm getting really good at tracking down what I want), but I do miss the record store owner/employees who love the music and treat it as so much more than a mere commodity.

I never said BB sucked, only that they are the ones undercutting the prices and running private stores out of business, not your downloading. I understand that private stores can't sell as cheaply as big stores because they don't have anything else to make money off of, they have to get it all from the music and movies. So looks like they'll all eventually go down.

Large chain stores aren't driving small local stores out of business....consumers are. Unless you're in Cuba or North Korea, demand drives supply...so if you don't like the supply, change your demand. Just don't arbitrarily edict that supply side should be this or that, just because you think so, let the market decide, who can be opposed to that?

Back
Top Bottom