Aussie Article: Global sales of 3M for 1st week expected

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11134289%5E2902,00.html

With the album expected to sell three million copies in its first week, the single disc has a potential value of $60 million.

I don't know if this is the reporter's estimate of if it actually came from Universal but that is a HUGE number.

They may ship 3 Million to the stores but to sell 3 Million would be incredible.

US - 500K
Canada - 75 K
UK - 100 K
Rest of Europe - 600 K
Aust - 50 K

Don't see it quite getting to 3M unless all this marketing they are plan on doing is going to create one hell of a buzz.

Given the time of year for the release- peak period for sales- and based on historical data on previous album sales (e.g. Best Of 1980....) , I would expect (at best) worldwide sales of around 5m by end-December, and probably reported by end-Jan 2005.

3m in one week - even worldwide- would probably break all kinds of records - but if the record company are predicting this i.e from current estimates of albums shipped, then who knows ?

Of course this kind of quote could, in itself, be part of the marketing campaign ?!

Mike

I think the album will ship about 5 million copies prior to release and probably sell 1.5 million worldwide the first week. POP sold over 1 million copies in its first week.

STING2 said:
I think the album will ship about 5 million copies prior to release and probably sell 1.5 million worldwide the first week. POP sold over 1 million copies in its first week.

This would put `Bomb' at around 3rd biggest opener this year, although probably 4th by the time Eminem has released.

Mike

Re: ps

mikeuk said:
shouldn't forget that sales in South America & Asia will contribute here too.

Mike

yes! yes! me and at least five of my officemates , two of ex officemates are buying.

sorry for the late reply. just discovred this thread!

Back
Top Bottom