Album sales with 2 hit singles out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
I think that on ATYCLB, the single release plan was not too good. The songs stood on their own and earned radio play, IMO, even though I know there were official release dates.

Right now, I think once Vertigo peaked on Modern Rock, plans were put in place to make sure ABOY was out quickly to keep the momentum going. However, Vertigo is not going away quietly, despite all the i-pod exposure. While it did peak on modern rock, it's rising on other charts, including the worldwide singles chart. The song has turned out to be a little more special than just a catchy, here and gone pop/rock tune. It's no BD, but it's legs may just nab it a Grammy.

Anyway, ABOY is now out and will race up the charts. I personally think that they will release 6-8 singles from Atomic, and they will be coming out in relatively rapid succession. Given the wide range of opinion on who likes what just on this fansite, this should work to U2's advantage. I think we are back to the days where U2 dominates American radio, and having more than one hit out at a time should bode well for Atomic's success.

Throw in the tour, MTV jammed (surprisingly cool), #1 singles and album rankings, etc., and I again will say it - Atomic will be U2's all-time highest selling album. People bitch about i-pod and sellout this and that, but I can remember the posts about how U2 screwed up singles releases, album promotions (POP), etc., and I for one am glad to see them and their label get it right for once.

P.S. Am I the only one that thought the full version i-POD video of Vertigo rocked? If I hadn't seen the short version 1000 times, I would have really liked it.

While I'd think 6-8 singles is a bit unlikely, you might be right about Atomic's potential to be the best-selling U2 album ever. BUT for that to happen, one of the singles might need to crack the top 30 on billboard, since rock stations only compose a small portion of the US radio. It is way too early to tell for sure but I'd say Atomic could sell around 15 million worldwide in the next 4 years. Now thats a very healthy number for a band who's been around for 25 years. :wink:

I spoke with my favorite dj for the local independent station today and she said that Vertigo was still so heavily requested and on rotation thay ABOY wasn't getting same airtime yet. But it is being requested and played. She also said the Vertigo live version - from the Brooklyn Bridge concert heavily requested.
That's good news. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom