100k for U218

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fna692002

The Fly
From Hits Daily Double

"A singles collection from U2, U218, is on course for 100k, though that could be affected by a retail giveaway of a bonus live album for a limited number of early buyers."

Not horrible, but not great. i'd say a #8 or 9 debut

that is p*ss poor. i was expecting at least double that.

this albums going to be lucky to sell, 3M copies worldwide.
complete waste of time even releasing it, might aswell have put the effort into a new album.

one thing to remember. this is all speculation based on one day sales. Black Friday will play a big part in this.

ybird3k said:
that is p*ss poor. i was expecting at least double that.

this albums going to be lucky to sell, 3M copies worldwide.
complete waste of time even releasing it, might aswell have put the effort into a new album.

This album only has one new song, so its not like they have had to put a lot of effort into this at all. They have simply recompiled their old work and will make a few million dollars each by the time their fans are opening gifts at Christmas. In the short run, the band makes money without really producing any new material and the media keep talking about the band. In the long run, there will be a group of casual fans that will actually buy this compilation over the others, because it has a little bit of everything from each time period. It fills a demand that is out there in the market place for a single U2 best of that covers their entire career.

I suspect though will see another compilation in 4 years, The Best Of 2000 to 2010. Then four years after that there will be another compilation of the entire career of the band to that date, much like the U2:18 disk being released now. Die Hard fans may not like it, but this is how you stay on top of the market place and bring in new fans when there is 4 years space between each new album.

oh 3-4 million albums what a shame what a shame...most bands dont sell that in their career total....nothing to panic about. Thats more then Boy or October sold combined.

I think the album will do just fine over a period of time just as well as The second "Best Of"

Look at it this way. Most bands sell LOADS of copies of a GH cd, while their all new studio cd tanks. U2 have had great numbers with new material, and thats what counts to me.

Back
Top Bottom