Women's World Cup 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U S A U S A U S A

Compelling match and what a goal from C. Lloyd. Two brilliant teams. The U.S. were too clinical from the two set pieces that resulted in the opening two goals, nullifying the beautiful Japanese passing game. Fully deserved win

Cracker of a tournament. Fire up for France '19.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

I mean, yeah I think the sun maybe played a small tiny factor where she could've lost track, possibly in the 4th goal. She was off her line and then had trouble tracking the ball back. BUT...they were not losing that game. Sun or not. Lloyd specifically was not losing that game. You could just tell they were on a tear. They drove in those low crosses on purpose, and they would've went in no matter where they were, it was a fantastic gameplan. After Japan made it 4-2, they quickly went and got the 5th goal. And then held when Japan took control and fired off a bunch of nice shots.

The 3rd goal was from the major defensive blunder, not the sun. She also left Lloyd open on a goal which she was burying even if she were on ice. They just shell-shocked Japan's defense and they just were not used to losing control of a game, as Japan pretty much always dictates the game.

It was obviously an exciting 20 minutes, got exciting again when Japan calmed down and got 2 goals. Not quite the nail-biter 1999 & 2011 final or 2012 Olympic final, or USA-Canada. But for a game decided by 3 goals, it was pretty back and forth.

Last edited:
Damn..not just soccer. Watched by more people than every MLB game since the 2004 World Series, every NBA game since 2010 finals, and Hockey game since Vancouver 2010 USA/Canada final.

I just wonder how they figure it out..surely they can't factor in the thousands/possibly millions watching in large groups like packed bars and outdoor viewings like Chicago's Lincoln Park. Or the thousands of US fans in Canada.

So when did championship shirts jack up in prices? $30 for cotton T-Shirts? Still not the $40 concert shirts though...

Damn..not just soccer. Watched by more people than every MLB game since the 2004 World Series, every NBA game since 2010 finals, and Hockey game since Vancouver 2010 USA/Canada final.

I just wonder how they figure it out..surely they can't factor in the thousands/possibly millions watching in large groups like packed bars and outdoor viewings like Chicago's Lincoln Park. Or the thousands of US fans in Canada.

So when did championship shirts jack up in prices? $30 for cotton T-Shirts? Still not the $40 concert shirts though...

The ratings you are reading about are completely based on in-home viewing. Out of home viewing can be tracked to a certain extent but that data takes time to compile and is not necessarily 100% "official" as far as the industry is concerned. Advertisers don't buy off of that, just in-home, even though they know very well that the appeal of sports viewing is that the number of people seeing your ad always transcends that of straight up Nielsen numbers. Which is part of why sporting events are so coveted by advertisers.

Canadian viewing audiences are not a part of any US viewing numbers, which is part of why networks pray teams like the Blue Jays and Raptors don't make or advance in the playoffs. NBC has nightmares about all Canadian Stanley Cups, etc.

As for how it's all figured out, there are a few ways Nielsen measures audiences but I won't bore you with that.

So happy for the USWNT! They wanted that 3rd World Cup badly. Carli Lloyd's third goal was a thing of beauty.

I love that the ratings were better than anything outside of Football. I'm super bummed I'm missing the rally in DTLA today. Stupid work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom