With every sport canned, there's never been a better time to watch AFL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Bummed that you've got no sport to watch?

Fear not.

The Australian Football League is going ahead.

Without fans for the moment, and if any player attracts COVID-19 then the season will be suspended, but it kicked off last night at the MCG.

Australian Rules football is the greatest sport there is, and with all your sports on hiatus, there's never been a better time to get into it.

You can purchase a subscription here: https://www.watchafl.com.au/

Let me know which team you'll support in the replies!

if you've ever wanted to get into a sport for all of a week before someone on a team's staff is confirmed to have COVID-19 and it all shuts down, here's your chance!

seriously though, why are they playing.

What team do you support, cobbler? I'll just pick that one. And I'm honestly tempted to start watching. Although I'd probably try to find streams on Reddit instead of paying for a subscription.

It's time for me to once again watch for a week and then promptly forgot :'(

Meanwhile, I've been filling the void in sports with the Spring sumo tournament in Japan. This shit is wild.

What team do you support, cobbler? I'll just pick that one. And I'm honestly tempted to start watching. Although I'd probably try to find streams on Reddit instead of paying for a subscription.

Yeah man definitely do that! I'd love to chat about it with you :)

I go for the Geelong Cats. We are white and navy blue, so not too dissimilar to the Cubs (that's who you go for right?!) uniform! We are the second-oldest Australian Rules football club, founded in 1589, making us one of the oldest sporting clubs in the world. We spent 44 years in the "wilderness" before emerging in 2007 with the premiership, beating Port Adelaide by 119 points, which is comfortably the highest grand final winning margin in history. Our last premiership was 2011, we are home to probably the greatest player to have played Aussie Rules in Gary Ablett Snr (whose son, Gary Jnr, is in the twilight of his career with us), and are an all-round fantastic club to support.

With no sport on, make it a big year!! Plus, Brisbane had a sensational 2019 and should be a strong team this year.

It's just the time that gets in the way. Our game this week is apparently on at 9 my time, though, so I have no reason not to watch.

Who was the worst team last year? I'll support them

I like cheering for an underdog

Last edited:
I thought the Blues/Tiges game was weird but refreshing. Great second half effort from us against the reigning premiers. Didn't watch Doggies/Pies yesterday but apparently didn't miss much.

Gonna catch some of Bombers/Dockers tonight and maybe a little of Giants/Cats if I can stay up. It starts at 1:40 but I've been trying to get on a better sleep schedule on lockdown.

Lions/Hawks is obviously a must watch.

Last edited:
Who was the worst team last year? I'll support them

I like cheering for an underdog

Gold Coast Suns. They're an expansion team, created to give Queensland a second team. Debuted in the league in 2011. They've since been comfortably overtaken by the league's 18th team, which debuted a year later, Greater Western Sydney Giants, who last year made the grand final but were belted by Richmond. Gold Coast have never finished higher than 12th, which is well outside the finals. Their marquee player in their early years was actually Gary Ablett Jnr, who I mentioned above; he left Geelong at the end of 2010 to captain Gold Coast (and earn a bigger pay cheque). He returned to Geelong in 2018, partly because Gold Coast have been consistently terrible. They finished bottom last year for the first time in their history, while their fellow expansion team, GWS, made a grand final. The club's culture has been called into question on many occasions, because players keep leaving. I think this year is make or break for the Suns. They will need to show they're competitive, or more players will leave and the AFL will be forced to consider drastic measures... I am firmly of the view they should be moved to either Tasmania or the Northern Territory, both of which are traditional Aussie Rules states (Australian states and territories follow different football codes - Vic, WA, SA, Tas and NT follow Aussie Rules, while QLD, NSW and the ACT follow rugby league). No one likes Gold Coast, so they're a good club to pick as an underdog.

I thought the Blues/Tiges game was weird but refreshing. Great second half effort from us against the reigning premiers. Didn't watch Doggies/Pies yesterday but apparently didn't miss much.

Gonna catch some of Bombers/Dockers tonight and maybe a little of Giants/Cats if I can stay up. It starts at 1:40 but I've been trying to get on a better sleep schedule on lockdown.

Lions/Hawks is obviously a must watch.

Yeah Rich/Carl was quite good after quarter time, but I also think Richmond put the queue in the rack a bit. Low stakes. Last night's game was pretty shit. Not having a crowd really puts a dampener on things.

Gold Coast it is!

They are actually showing Essendon and Fremantle right now on FS1 here. I didn't even know AFL was on tv in the US.

Gold Coast it is!

They are actually showing Essendon and Fremantle right now on FS1 here. I didn't even know AFL was on tv in the US.
Oh interesting. My understanding is that Fox HAS the rights to AFL but doesn't often show it here. I saw a lot of people saying that FS1 should be airing it, since there aren't any other sports to watch. Glad to see they appear to be doing just that.

No idea who this dude is but I welcome him into the fold, he is absolutely correct that it's the best sport ever, and glad to see that it only takes about 10 minutes for an American to realise it's better than all the sports they play ;) :wink:

[tweet]1241465661517373442[/tweet]

Amazingly, this is the most disrupted the AFL (formerly the VFL) has ever been. Even during the height of both World Wars, the VFL continued on. They were heavily affected, with several teams dropping out and unable to play, but they got full seasons in, which won't happen this year.

(Fitzroy, in 1916, won both the wooden spoon and the premiership. Only four teams competed that year.)

Freo and West Coast being based on the Gold Coast will boost the IQ of both Western Australia and Queensland.

I wish I was excited. But I'm not yet. The idea of footy with no crowds, being called remotely, with teams playing in hubs, and the potential of there being finals with no crowds, it all just feels wrong. We'll see.

But I do hope it gets more non-Aussies into it - both the EPL and the NBA are played at the opposite times of year, no?

So, I guess the Blues haven't even looked at the footy since March.

What an abominable performance.

Back
Top Bottom