Tour de France 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like the Armstrong/Brunyeel vs. Contador tension is too much, and they will part ways after the Tour.

A fractious relationship exists between the two team leaders on the Tour de France and while Bruyneel attempted to downplay the friction, he admitted that their personality clashes would make a collaboration on a new team untenable.

"There was never a 'click' between the two, I don't know why," said Bruyneel. But he added that "there was never as much friction" between the two as was reported.

Armstrong and Bruyneel are on the verge of leaving Astana and establishing a new team together, with the Belgian admitting it was "unthinkable" for him to continue to lead the Kazakhstan team in the event that Kazakh rider Alexandre Vinokourov returns to it after a suspension for doping as is expected.

Armstrong is expected to make a full announcement on the new team later today, but it remains unclear whether American sportswear giants Nike would be the sponsors of the new project.

Yeah, the whole thing with Vino just added to it.

Contador is obviously the best climber, and with his improving TT skills, the best all-arounder. But at this point, he really doesn't listen very well, and his tactics are questionable.

Like today, he had no reason to attack at all. He should have just continued to let the Schlecks do all the work, but he tries anyway, and all he does is drop his own teammate. If Kloden had been with them at the end, he could have fought it out for the stage win (and probably would have taken it). Not only that, but Contador probably cost Kloden a chance at the podium.

I know the main goal is winning the whole thing, and Contador will, but Astana had a very good chance to go 1-2-3, an incredible feat, and with that one move, because he was thinking more about himself than the team, Contador ruined it.

Next year is going to be very interesting. It will depend on the makeup of the teams, but if Contador's isn't as strong because of the split, and there is another TTT, it could make for a different result, especially if Armstrong is more up to speed (although he'll be another year older).

Very interesting indeed.

I can't wait for the time trial -- this has been a really fun week of Le Tour!

I was aghast at Contador's move. He said he had Kloden's blessing, but he's certainly been questioned by Levi, Lance and others.

I'm not a huge fan of Contador, but I certainly respect his climbing abilities. Lance says he's the best climber since Pantani in the late 90s. Says that Contador would beat Lance up the mountains even at his strongest.

Next year should be fantastic, if Bruyneel and Armstrong form a new team (without Contador, whom they don't seem to like). I don't see Armstrong at 38 as being a great contender, but they could have a great team. Andy Schleck should be that much better, Contador will still be the favorite, and hopefully some others will emerge. But any team with Bruyneel and Armstrong is gonna be a threat.

Contador is supremely talented, but seems to make a lot of tactical mistakes.

Contador's really flying on the TT. At this rate, it looks like Contador, A. Schleck, and Armstrong as the leaders. A. Schleck is doing well in the TT - only 5 seconds slower than Lance at check 3.

Contador thundered through that TT. Man, he's pretty much got it all going on now.

A. Schleck did really well, losing only 15 seconds to Armstrong. He should be able to keep second easily now.

Third will be a real battle, but I think Lance will hold on to it. Now that Contador is over four minutes ahead of A. Schleck, I wouldn't be surprised if they just mark each other up Ventoux and Lance goes for it.

I think today's top 3 GC will hold up until Sunday. This should be the podium.

Lance's new sponsor: Radio Shack.

I'm wondering who is going to be on that team. It really depends on the contract status of certain riders, and I don't know whose ends this year and whose doesn't. I do know that Contador is signed with Astana through 2010.

It took some searching, but I found that Leipheimer's contract is up at the end of the year, so you know he'll be joining Armstrong.

Also Chris Horner, who should've been at the Tour.

Great ride today. The Schlecks gave it everything they had, but they couldn't get rid of Armstrong, and Wiggins held on just enough for fourth.

And kudos to Contador, who did very well from a tactical standpoint today. He looked like he could've gone at anytime and won the thing, but he just stayed with A. Schleck and seemed to be helping Armstrong a bit by sticking around.

I was happy for Lance. It's quite the accomplishment to podium at age 37.

Interestingly, he thinks that Contador might have beaten him even at his best -- that's how good Contador is. Hard to say, but it would have been fun to watch them race against each other in their prime.

I think Frank Schleck just didn't have the legs today, but he sure had a great Tour.

Next year should be very interesting, with Andy Schleck that much better, and the emergence of Team RadioShack. It will be interesting to see how Contador fares on whichever new team he goes to. He won't be surrounded by as much talent as this year, but I'm sure he'll still be the favorite.

But I'd like to see Andy Schleck win. He's a valiant rider.

From all reports it sounds like Cadel's about to go on a killing spree :lol:

I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to be around Cadel when he's a mite aggravated... :lol:

What an amazing stage up Mont Ventoux, I've never seen so many spectators! And watching Andy Schleck, Armstrong and Contador match each other stroke for stroke (or the cycling equivalent) was damn impressive.

Love Cadel, I love his honesty and that he never holds back, he just let's rip. Rare in an Aussie sportsperson. hope he recovers from this year's disaster, and finds a good team and challenges for next year.

My mom was on the Champs Elysees this afternoon watching the race (she's in France on business), and says it was absolutely spectacular. I'll put up some pictures once she sends them to me.

:jealous:

Gee, Contador is good, and wow at Cavendish's win on the Champs Elysses, fair dinkum, the margin was massive.

And how little did we hear the wretched D-word during this year's tour!

Now that the tour is over, Armstrong and Contador aren't holding back anymore.

War of words erupts between Contador, Armstrong

Gloves off after Tour

The duo may have kept things relatively civil during the Tour de France but now that the race is over, it seems the gloves are off between Alberto Contador and Lance Armstrong, first and third overall at the French Grand Tour. On Monday Contador finally gave his full thoughts on the team situation. During the Tour he had played down talk of conflict, saying that the media was exaggerating the tension between the two race winners and that things were better than rumours suggested.

However as the finale drew closer, the cracks were definitely starting to appear, with both Armstrong and team boss Johan Bruyneel publicly faulting Contador’s tactics after Wednesday’s stage to Le Grand-Bornand. Then on Saturday Armstrong chose to go for a meal and wine with the sponsors of the new Radioshack team rather than attend the Tour win celebration for Contador.

On Sunday the chemistry between the two on the podium was notably very cool, with no congratulation of the Spaniard’s win; by Monday, all pretence at diplomacy was ditched by both riders.

“My relationship with Lance Armstrong is zero," Contador said in a Madrid press conference, according to AFP. “He is a great rider and has completed a great race but it is another thing on a personal level, where I have never had great admiration for him and I never will."

Armstrong responded via his Twitter feed on Monday evening, and was clearly angry. “Seeing these comments from AC (Alberto Contador). If I were him I’d drop this drivel and start thanking his team. W/o (without) them he doesn’t win.”

He then followed that up with another message, referring back to comments he made when Contador got the hunger knock in Paris-Nice and lost the race lead.

“Hey pistolero, there is no ‘I’ in ‘team’. What did I say in March? Lots to learn. Restated,” Tweeted Armstrong.

While both riders are heading in different directions in 2010, Armstrong to Radioshack and Contador to an as-yet undecided team, both are still contracted to Astana for the remainder of this season. However it now looks highly unlikely that either will compete alongside the other again in 2009.

Armstrong concluded his ‘gloves-off’ by re-Tweeting a comment by friend and Trek Livestrong director Axel Merckx. “A champion is also measured on how much he respect his teammates and opponents. You can win a race on your own, not a Grand Tour.”

Contador has not responded as yet, but this could run and run.

The tension is understandable, because you had two riders who thought they could be the leader (with the director being Armstrong's friend). It reminds me a bit of the Hinault/Lemond situation. I guess they will each have to be the clear leaders on their next teams.

It will be very interesting to see where Contador lands. Technically, he's still with Astana through next year, but it sounds like he wants to go to a new team which makes him the priority (which is understandable), something that won't happen in Astana now that Vinokourov is back.

If Contador goes to a team that is not as strong, and there is a TTT next year, it will make the results much closer, especially if Team RadioShack ends up having Leipheimer, Kloden, Horner, Hincapie, etc., all good time trialers.

There's a rumor that Team RadioShack is looking to get Andy Schleck. Armstrong may realize that he (Lance) will never have the legs to keep up with Contador, but Schleck could sure beat him with a strong team behind him.

I'd be surprised if Lance and Schleck were on the same team. It'd be almost the same situation as Astana. Lance doesn't seem like he would play second fiddle.

Back
Top Bottom