The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Ireland start really coming along too.

That Canadian bloke who played for South Aus was pretty good too.

Old Jon Davison... he played for the Vics for a while too.

His 100 v the windies on the SA world cup was gold.

I think the ICC need to look at globalising the game more. Twenty20, while it sees the occasional upset, is a fast food game. It isn't going to develop cricket in the better associate nations because they already have sufficient interest and infrastructure to play the proper versions of the game. The best resolution for everyone here is to give Ireland test status, and to hold a major ICC tournament each year with the leading associates (I know there is currently the intercontinental cup, but im talking something higher profile, with TV rights, more money, and more games). The associates need a move towards professionalism.

My proposal would be something like

- Zimbabwae losing test status
- Ireland taking their place
- A major competition each year between the top 4-6 associates (atm Scotland, Kenya, Netherlands, Canada and Afghanistan would compete as there is a talent divide below them).
- Each side would play 2 home and away 'tests' each year against every other leading associate, totally 16 matches a year.
- Additionally, a full test nation will be required to accept a home tour against one of the leading associates every second year. (IE in year one NZ would host Afghanistan, SA would host the Netherlands, India would host Scotland, Australia would host Canada and England would host Kenya, in year two, Ireland would host Afghanistan, Bangladesh would host the Netherlands, West Indies would host Scotland, Pakistan would host (in Dubai) Canada and Sri lanka would host Kenya
- The next tier of teams (Bermuda, Namibia, Tanzania, Denmark, UAE) host their own similar tournament.
- At the end of the season one of the top tier is relegated to the bottom tier, and one is put up in their place. If a team tops the top tier for 3 years straight, they are granted Test status.

My proposal would be something like

- Zimbabwae losing test status
- Ireland taking their place
- A major competition each year between the top 4-6 associates (atm Scotland, Kenya, Netherlands, Canada and Afghanistan would compete as there is a talent divide below them).
- Each side would play 2 home and away 'tests' each year against every other leading associate, totally 16 matches a year.
- Additionally, a full test nation will be required to accept a home tour against one of the leading associates every second year. (IE in year one NZ would host Afghanistan, SA would host the Netherlands, India would host Scotland, Australia would host Canada and England would host Kenya, in year two, Ireland would host Afghanistan, Bangladesh would host the Netherlands, West Indies would host Scotland, Pakistan would host (in Dubai) Canada and Sri lanka would host Kenya
- The next tier of teams (Bermuda, Namibia, Tanzania, Denmark, UAE) host their own similar tournament.
- At the end of the season one of the top tier is relegated to the bottom tier, and one is put up in their place. If a team tops the top tier for 3 years straight, they are granted Test status.

Good stuff

I had a rough plan similar to this where there were 3 divisions a few years back. Divisions of nine and relegation/promotion every 2 or 3 years or so, but I can't see the ICC implementing it and I can't see there being enough money in some of the third tier teams to travel as much as they would need to. The associates would get well smashed in the early days.

1. Oz
2. Pom
3. Windies
4. India
5. Sri Lanka
6. Pakistan
7. Kiwi
8. South Africa
9. Bangers

1. Zimbabwe
2. Ireland
3. Kenya
4. Netherlands
5. UAE
6. Namibia
7. Canada
8. Scotland

1. Bermuda
2. Afghanistan
3. France
4. Denmark
5. Fiji (Chee Quee)
6. Japan
7. China
8. USA

Bit of a dream because it all comes down to money, and it's just not there to sustain such a logical process of expanding the game internationally. India do have a bit though, but would they invest it in the cricket third-world?

That's the other side of it... there would be some serious fucking rapings going on in some of the cross-division games.

You know the only, remote reason I'm interested in 20/20? To see sides like Ireland, Netherlands...

25 fucking days, people. God I'm excited.

And we have functional SBS this time round!! Beers and snags will be had by all.

<-- is starting to think Lee will be harking back to his good old days of carting oranges.

Windies battered india last night!
Then South Africa beat them today

NZ v Pakistan soon!

Ashes will not have same effect this time in UK as its on SKY
Last time it was on Channel 4 and everyone just stayed in and watched it, great viewing figures and great drama

Its a disgrace how Home tests are not on normal tv

i called pakistan!

aren't the tests being showed on free-to-air over there mate? that's a strange one.. thank goodness for sbs, they're showing every ball. it's going to be much better than the summer we have coming up, the windies and pakistan i think..

been watching my cricket dvds as the ashes draws closer. bob willis may have been a great bowler for england, but what an irrepresibly boring man he has become.

nope
As football season has finished we got rid of sky
And as i'm at work there is no point having it as i wont see every ball
Highlights are on Channel 5 which is free

wow that blows. every single ball from every single game during our summer gets shown live on free to air.

though it just won't be the same this year without richie. means more of mark nicholas. joy.

Struggling v Sussex i see :hmm:

Hughes, what a load of tosh!

haha gold! Watch Hughes' innings, he gave them no respect. I admire a 20 year old that can go up against first class cricketers and say in no uncertain terms "you are not good enough to command my full respect".

He smashed Kirtley. It was a good ball that got him, and he was being much more adventurous than he would in a proper game of cricket. If anything, I would be more worried if I was England.

PS: I would also be worried if I was England about Haddin being on form, and the prospect of a batting line-up that has johnson at 8, Lee at 9 and hauritz at 10!

Typical England fan though, a guy of 20 only scores 15 in his first bat in months and they are already on his back. I'd be looking in my own backyard before I pointed too many fingers!

We've got the megastar Ravinder Bopara so no worries here

Suspect at best. He scored runs against a meager WI attack.

Intersting that Hughes has more test runs in half the matches, (all of which against the best bowling nation in the world).

Bopara is a county cricketer masquerading behind his inflated average.

i hope ponting has a poor series. i really do.

we're going to smash england.

johnson learnt how to bowl the one that swings back in to the right handers :drool:

been listening to the twelth man, again! hilarious shit.

"that's the fourth time this summer i'm going to have to drive him home, and i can tell you i'm getting pretty pissed off."

"it's a big big moment for big big merv! oh merv! i love him! i wanna boof him! get him up here! it's all happening, the tension, the drama, the buzz, the excitement!"

Australia 349
Haddin 69
Hauritz 65
Katich 49
Lee 47
Clarke 45

Sussex
Lee 3/53, 13.2
Clark 3/46, 15
Siddle 2/33, 15

Interesting with Lee and Clark up there. Would not mind them at all going with Lee/Clark/Johnson/Siddle and leaving Hilfy out. Course, there's no selectors :shrug: :doh:

Australia 349
Haddin 69
Hauritz 65
Katich 49
Lee 47
Clarke 45

Sussex
Lee 3/53, 13.2
Clark 3/46, 15
Siddle 2/33, 15

Interesting with Lee and Clark up there. Would not mind them at all going with Lee/Clark/Johnson/Siddle and leaving Hilfy out. Course, there's no selectors :shrug: :doh:

Hughes 68* at lunch. The kid is good.

I take back any reservations I may have had about Hughes. What a superstar.

The other story was so far half the balls we've bowled have been no-balls... reminds of the 04 summer series against India when Lee went for about 500 and half of them were no-balls...

Another day and Sussex could have won that game :lol: 181 to get in a day's cricket with six wickets in hand...

A few positives can be taken out of that. No-balls etc are never really forgiveable, but i suppose you look at Clark and Lee who haven't played competitive cricket in months (20-20 doesnt count).

Lee took 4 wickets, siddle bowled well, and hopefully, with Hauritz performance, they play 4 quicks and leave Hilfenhaus out.

Can't see Hauritz getting a game on the back of that. We are going to be fucked with this spinner situation.

Just as an interesting side note, Krejza made a ton for Aus A

Can't see Hauritz getting a game on the back of that. We are going to be fucked with this spinner situation.

Just as an interesting side note, Krejza made a ton for Aus A

And got totally spanked when he bowled.

If we are looking for a spinner based on batting potential, no question that it's Casson, but I won't open that door again, I'll just make myself angry!

Aus spinners 0
Eng Spinners 3
could be the difference

Or not. What Test will you play 3 spinners in? England's spinners are rubbish anyway. Have a history of poor records against us (Tufnell, Such, Croft, Giles)

And just quietly, between Katich, North and Clarke they have guys who on their day can be as devastating as any test spinner. You can be sure that in any test, at least one will be firing.

Vaughan has retired from all forms of cricket
was best english batsman of the last 15 years. So good to watch

i wont see any of the ashes. I'll be at work!

Can Cadel win it inte? Good to see the doper is back.

And got totally spanked when he bowled.

If we are looking for a spinner based on batting potential, no question that it's Casson, but I won't open that door again, I'll just make myself angry!

Wasn't defending him, just saying...

Or not. What Test will you play 3 spinners in? England's spinners are rubbish anyway. Have a history of poor records against us (Tufnell, Such, Croft, Giles)

And just quietly, between Katich, North and Clarke they have guys who on their day can be as devastating as any test spinner. You can be sure that in any test, at least one will be firing.

Giles did his job in the 05 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom