The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth does this not include W. G. Grace.

Because he was a washed up old cheat???

His average was only in the 30's (granted it was good for the time, but not world beating), and when he got out he used to convince the umpires to let him keep batting because 'the crowd only came to see me bat'.

Pffft

Furthermore, what the fuck is PIEterson doing in there??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

How on earth does this not include W. G. Grace.

I was astounded he wasn't a part of the nominations on cricinfo, that's what I went from. I'd have him as a manager or something.

Dan, I don't fucking understand why Pietersen's there either. Fair enough the public picked him, but the 'esteemed' panel too??

Because he was a washed up old cheat???

His average was only in the 30's (granted it was good for the time, but not world beating), and when he got out he used to convince the umpires to let him keep batting because 'the crowd only came to see me bat'.

Pffft

Can't wait for your opinion on Bradman.

hey dan something funny happened to me the other day. i was chillin at uni with some mates and one of em was talking about some motocross rider or something, saying how good he is blah blah. then he said "he's like the greatest sportsman of all time". and me being me, i never really get into heated debates or anything, even if someone's not really right. but i just said, no. and he's like what? i said this is one argument you will never, ever win with me. well who do you reckon? bradman, i said. "bullshit". five minutes later i won the argument.

some idiot then chimed in with "his average was 99.94 yeah? how fucking shattered would you be? see i'd rather average 50, at least then you're right on it, not just short". moron.

& Chris Martin

chris_martin.jpg

according to someone, i can't remember where i read it, but apparently coldplay's chris is a handy fast bowler and a reasonable bat.

the 'learn to bat like chris martin' videos on youtube are hilarious and he's in them, good humour.

A bit harsh on Phil Hughes, he's what? In his early 20's, has scored a hundred or two against the top team in the world. Plus if I were you I wouldn't talk ... *cough* Graham Onions *cough*

at least Onions can say he won the ashes

Oh and this one day series will be a washout

the 2.5 days of sunshine we get in the UK are long gone
Its rain and darkness now till next April

I have no interest in this series. Who gives a fuck really. Look at that Aussie team. Surely the worst side we have put on any field since the mid 80's.

Ponting gone from T20's is bad news. I dont want him prolonging his career in Tests.

without ponting you'd be bowled out for 100 in each test
sack him as captain but he is still your bests batsman

And you're just Australia's best batsmen of all time, aren't you?

Neither Ponting or I fit that description. Ponting may crack the top 5.

Bradman I would have thought was our best ever. After his I would have Chappel G, Waugh S (not only for his talent, but also the way in which he made his runs in pressure situations), and probably even Border before Ponting.

Ponting: the man with such talent you can virtually bet your house n him scoring 100 in the first innings of the series, getting out right after a milestone, and then cruising from there. His attitude is a waste of such talent.

Also, as a captain he is so poor that he costs more runs than he scores. I pull my hair out watching him drop 3rd men in, or sweepers at cover while the ball is still new and swinging. It lets batsmen take eay options and play themselves in. Long gone are the days where we would have teams 4/fuckall (I know McGrath is gone, but Lee and S Clark are capable of these feats with the right back-up). I loved Steve Waugh's fields, even to the best openers: mid-off, cover, Point, backward point, Gully, 4 slips, short leg.

Only Justin Langer on the leg side. Ponting gives no direction for his bowlers by the field setting: he is what good park cricket captains call a 'putting out fires' captain. If they score runs somewhere, he plugs the hole with a fielder. That is ok at a basic level, but not elite level sport.

My overall opinion on this is that Ponting is a valuable batsman, a great talent, capable of amazing things. His overall NET VALUE to the team is negative, however, as his captaincy deficiencies more than overwhelm and nullify his batting. As Australia never sack captains and leave them in te side, there is only one option I can see.

And Callum Ferguson is a gun, the new Michael Bevan. It's just that no-one cares about pyjama cricket anymore

Neither Ponting or I fit that description. Ponting may crack the top 5.

Bradman I would have thought was our best ever. After his I would have Chappel G, Waugh S (not only for his talent, but also the way in which he made his runs in pressure situations), and probably even Border before Ponting.

Ponting: the man with such talent you can virtually bet your house n him scoring 100 in the first innings of the series, getting out right after a milestone, and then cruising from there. His attitude is a waste of such talent.

Also, as a captain he is so poor that he costs more runs than he scores. I pull my hair out watching him drop 3rd men in, or sweepers at cover while the ball is still new and swinging. It lets batsmen take eay options and play themselves in. Long gone are the days where we would have teams 4/fuckall (I know McGrath is gone, but Lee and S Clark are capable of these feats with the right back-up). I loved Steve Waugh's fields, even to the best openers: mid-off, cover, Point, backward point, Gully, 4 slips, short leg.

Only Justin Langer on the leg side. Ponting gives no direction for his bowlers by the field setting: he is what good park cricket captains call a 'putting out fires' captain. If they score runs somewhere, he plugs the hole with a fielder. That is ok at a basic level, but not elite level sport.

My overall opinion on this is that Ponting is a valuable batsman, a great talent, capable of amazing things. His overall NET VALUE to the team is negative, however, as his captaincy deficiencies more than overwhelm and nullify his batting. As Australia never sack captains and leave them in te side, there is only one option I can see.

Can't argue with this...I still like him as a Player, Person and a Captain...can we pick a better one?.....probably as you say, we don't sack our captains!

Not 1 person in england cares about the ODI series
Australia could rack up 700 and it would not make the news

Cricket is dead now

England qualified for 2010 Football World Cup! So Cricket is back to the 3 inch colums in the sports pages

^ ODI cricket is dead. The second the MCC announced dropping it from the domestic calender, the death knell rang.

Next world cup will be the end, or it will come down again to 40 overs, porobably with 2 x T20 innings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom