The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!! - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2009, 04:06 AM   #501
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 11:16 PM
OK, I clearly haven't been paying attention lately. Who the hell is Manou?
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #502
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,504
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Graham Manou, plays for SA I think, and he's the reserve keeper.

Ron Reed from the Herald Sun, inte, predicted Hodge would make the cut be he did not.
__________________

cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #503
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,503
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Hodge is too old. They have made it perfectly clear 6 is an allrounders spot, and Hodge's bowling is very sub-standard. You can't drop any of the top 5. It's open and shut.

I think the squad is ok. It just reflects our lack of deph. We have 13 world beaters, and nothin else. In years gone by, we had 20 world beaters, and then about 20 ready to step in
dan_smee is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #504
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,504
Local Time: 11:16 PM
I'm very confident we'll still win. Ian Botham the dickhead seems to think our bowling line-up is weak.

Oh, and I agree about Hodgey. I still don't get the fascination with having an allrounder. Surely Johnson's proved enough with the bat.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #505
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,503
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm very confident we'll still win. Ian Botham the dickhead seems to think our bowling line-up is weak.

Oh, and I agree about Hodgey. I still don't get the fascination with having an allrounder. Surely Johnson's proved enough with the bat.
See line-up 3 above...

Johnson should bat 7, Haddin 6, 4 quicks and a spinner.
dan_smee is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #506
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,504
Local Time: 11:16 PM
I like...

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark

with Hilfenhaus to replace whoever struggles. This way you've got spin covered as well, Katich and North have shown they're pretty able.

Spin is going to be a major problem for us in the future however.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #507
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,504
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Just on your certainty starting 9 there.. I think it's a starting 8.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke

Haddin
Johnson

Siddle
cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #508
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,503
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Fair enough. I realise he hasn't played in a while, but Clark is always the best bowler when he's there. His average is 22

Spin won't be a problem though. 2 names will be on the table for the next 10 years:

John Holland
Beau Casson

They will fight it out for the spot on the next ashes tour. You heard it here first
dan_smee is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #509
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8,105
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I like...

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark

.
This.

Though I'd love to see Clark get smashed around in the first test so Hilfy can get in the team.

Shit squad though, for obvious reasons relating to my love affair/bias/whatever for Hodge.

Gonna be hard to support this team....
intedomine is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #510
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,503
Local Time: 11:16 PM
I will say re Clark/Siddle batting 10/11, I prefer having Siddle at 11 to hold up an end. Both probably have the same run scoring capacity, but Clark will do it much quicker, and get out much quicker. If it's a case of digging in to get a batsman to 100, Id rather Siddle at the other end.
dan_smee is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #511
Refugee
 
MadForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,248
Local Time: 01:16 AM
Who are Ya????

James Anderson will sort you lot out
MadForIt is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #512
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,504
Local Time: 11:16 PM
I thought Onions was gonna do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I will say re Clark/Siddle batting 10/11, I prefer having Siddle at 11 to hold up an end. Both probably have the same run scoring capacity, but Clark will do it much quicker, and get out much quicker. If it's a case of digging in to get a batsman to 100, Id rather Siddle at the other end.
Fair call. Not usually how these things work though, I'm afraid. God I love Siddle. I never got in on the whole Merv Hughes "get him up here, I wanna boof him" saga, so hopefully Siddle stays on the scene.

We just got a massive new digital TV, complete with One HD. I was excited at this prospect. But then I discovered they only show shit cunt motor racing, like NASCAR, baseball, basketball - both much more boring than I thought - footy replays and IPL. and I watched possibly the worst 20/20 I've ever seen last night.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #513
Refugee
 
MadForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,248
Local Time: 01:16 AM
an anderson/onions spell will leave the aussies well caramelized
bit of swanny and freddie and phil hughes will turn into the present day merv hughes
MadForIt is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #514
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,503
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I thought Onions was gonna do that.



Fair call. Not usually how these things work though, I'm afraid. God I love Siddle. I never got in on the whole Merv Hughes "get him up here, I wanna boof him" saga, so hopefully Siddle stays on the scene.

We just got a massive new digital TV, complete with One HD. I was excited at this prospect. But then I discovered they only show shit cunt motor racing, like NASCAR, baseball, basketball - both much more boring than I thought - footy replays and IPL. and I watched possibly the worst 20/20 I've ever seen last night.
It's not usually the way things work because people are generally of the opinion that a bowler will last the same amount of time in either position. Glen McGrath proved that, while he was a terrible bat, he could stick around when needed to. He got Steve Waugh to countless centuries by being able to keep the ball out when needed.

Siddle fits that bill much more than Clark
dan_smee is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #515
Refugee
 
MadForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,248
Local Time: 01:16 AM
Eng team, compete with nicknames for cardiff - if they make it a spin track then out goes oniony and in comes panesary

straussy (c)
cooky
bopary
pietersony
colly
priory (lol) (wk)
freddy
broady
swanny
andersony (best tailender ever, has never got a 0 in over 45 test innings now!)
oniony
MadForIt is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #516
Blue Crack Addict
 
bono_man2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the wrong band
Posts: 28,484
Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
We just got a massive new digital TV, complete with One HD. I was excited at this prospect. But then I discovered they only show shit cunt motor racing, like NASCAR, baseball, basketball - both much more boring than I thought - footy replays and IPL. and I watched possibly the worst 20/20 I've ever seen last night.
NASCAR is the most boring thing ever, but Baseball is alright, and I've grown to fucking love Basketball in the last 2 years.
bono_man2002 is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #517
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I think the squad is ok. It just reflects our lack of deph. We have 13 world beaters, and nothin else. In years gone by, we had 20 world beaters, and then about 20 ready to step in
Meanwhile, the rest of us breathe a sigh of relief and wish Ponting would hurry up and piss off.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #518
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,503
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
an anderson/onions spell will leave the aussies well caramelized
bit of swanny and freddie and phil hughes will turn into the present day merv hughes
Ha! I'd wait a test or two before saying these things. you may look pretty silly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
Eng team, compete with nicknames for cardiff - if they make it a spin track then out goes oniony and in comes panesary

straussy (c)
cooky
bopary
pietersony
colly
priory (lol) (wk)
freddy
broady
swanny
andersony (best tailender ever, has never got a 0 in over 45 test innings now!)
oniony
Wouldn't have a problem if England put this team out. Windies wouldn't beat bangladesh away

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
NASCAR is the most boring thing ever, but Baseball is alright, and I've grown to fucking love Basketball in the last 2 years.
Basketball and Baseball are awesome. I love stat-driven games, and cricket definately is one of those. Nascar is horse-piss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Meanwhile, the rest of us breathe a sigh of relief and wish Ponting would hurry up and piss off.
Ponting is a cock, and the team would be better off without him. his awful captaincy create a negative net-worth to the side, in that his batting doesnt make up for the runs/wickets we lose due to his awful filed placings and bowling changes.
dan_smee is offline  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #519
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Ponting is a cock, and the team would be better off without him. his awful captaincy create a negative net-worth to the side, in that his batting doesnt make up for the runs/wickets we lose due to his awful filed placings and bowling changes.
I truly don't know how he's managed to hold onto the captaincy for so long. Can't stand it any time he gets his smarmy face in the media either - he's a shocking representative for the team. Then again, who would be a viable replacement as captain? I don't see much of the Aussie team as having a great deal of captaincy potential.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #520
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,503
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I truly don't know how he's managed to hold onto the captaincy for so long. Can't stand it any time he gets his smarmy face in the media either - he's a shocking representative for the team. Then again, who would be a viable replacement as captain? I don't see much of the Aussie team as having a great deal of captaincy potential.
a - because the selectors have never been able to admit they were wrong. He's like, only the 42nd captain we've ever had, whereas england change captain every 3 tests.

On point 2, Clarke and Haddin are both much more viable options. Clarke has been very succesful in ODI's, his performances rise, and he is an innovative captain who sets god fields etc. Haddin is the same, and comes with years of experience captaining NSW.

Either would be 100x better than Ponting
__________________

dan_smee is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cricket, world cup

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×