The Devin Hester Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
Big Bears fan obviously, but you don't have to be one to realize that this kid is among the crop pf youngsters that are the FUTURE of the NFL.

He is something that comes along once every 20 or 30 years. He'll be the first ever FIRST-BALLOT Return Man in the Hall of Fame no doubt.

So this thread's for you "Anytime"!

"Why do they make me do it?"
-Devin Hester's future T-shirt

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
He is something that comes along once every 20 or 30 years. He'll be the first ever FIRST-BALLOT Return Man in the Hall of Fame no doubt.

I will put down $150 right now that Devin Hester will never be in the Hall of Fame.

DaveC said:
Apparently the former.

Devin Hester is a one-trick pony, and nobody will ever kick the ball to him again.

One trick pony huh? That's what everybody in the world said after his rookie season. What did Hester do? Oh right! He broke his own single season record for touchdowns!

Not kick to him? They tried that this past season. And yet he kpet getting it and scoring. The NFL is a league of pride. Teams will keep kicking to him...at least until the playoffs start.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

One trick pony huh? That's what everybody in the world said after his rookie season. What did Hester do? Oh right! He broke his own single season record for touchdowns!

So, he was known only for returning kicks in his rookie season, and everybody said that was all he could do. Then, the next season he goes out and is known only for returning kicks in his sophomore season, and everybody still knows that's all he can do.

Do you know what "one-trick pony" means?

Not kick to him? They tried that this past season. And yet he kpet getting it and scoring. The NFL is a league of pride. Teams will keep kicking to him...at least until the playoffs start.

Stupid coaches (ie, the ones that kick to Hester) get fired because they lose games (not only because of DH). People learn quickly not to do things that will get them fired from their jobs. Those that don't don't keep their jobs and therefore will not be around to kick to Hester. We call this "natural selection" - idiots lose.

Hester's a great kick returner (he scored a LOT of points for me in Fantasy Football last season), don't get me wrong. But first-ballot Hall of Famer? You gotta be kidding.

DaveC said:

So, he was known only for returning kicks in his rookie season, and everybody said that was all he could do. Then, the next season he goes out and is known only for returning kicks in his sophomore season, and everybody still knows that's all he can do.

Do you know what "one-trick pony" means?

Stupid coaches (ie, the ones that kick to Hester) get fired because they lose games (not only because of DH). People learn quickly not to do things that will get them fired from their jobs. Those that don't don't keep their jobs and therefore will not be around to kick to Hester. We call this "natural selection" - idiots lose.

Hester's a great kick returner (he scored a LOT of points for me in Fantasy Football last season), don't get me wrong. But first-ballot Hall of Famer? You gotta be kidding.

Sorry, I interpreted "one-trick pony" as one hit wonder I guess.

But Hester did have 2 receiving td's of 81 and 55 yards too. So he's gradually moving from ONE-TRICK to TWO! He'll probably catch 6 or 7 this year, not to mention the usual 6 or 7 return td's and be in the running for league MVP

He may not make first ballot, but tell me a guy who re-invented the return game in the NFL and draws MVP considertaion as a return man and part-time receiver won't make The Hall.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Sorry, I interpreted "one-trick pony" as one hit wonder I guess.

But Hester did have 2 receiving td's of 81 and 55 yards too. So he's gradually moving from ONE-TRICK to TWO! He'll probably catch 6 or 7 this year, not to mention the usual 6 or 7 return td's and be in the running for league MVP

He may not make first ballot, but tell me a guy who re-invented the return game in the NFL and draws MVP considertaion as a return man and part-time receiver won't make The Hall.

Hester is a game-breaker and an exciting player, no doubt. But I'm sorry, someone who, as you say, will make six or seven catches in his third year in addition to six or seven return TD's is not now, nor will he ever be Hall of Fame material.

If he consistently makes 70-100 catches per season, with 1,000+ yards and 10-15 TD's then that would be a different story. But that will never happen because he's too valuable to the Bears' return game to ever play WR for more than a few snaps per game.

BonoManiac said:
If he consistently makes 70-100 catches per season, with 1,000+ yards and 10-15 TD's then that would be a different story. But that will never happen because he's too valuable to the Bears' return game to ever play WR for more than a few snaps per game.

:yes:

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Please tell me how he has "re-invented the return game"?

The return game is a pretty simple concept: Catch a ball, run, use your teams blocking scheme, avoid tackles. I cannot see how he has "re-invented" this concept.

zonelistener said:

Please tell me how he has "re-invented the return game"?

The return game is a pretty simple concept: Catch a ball, run, use your teams blocking scheme, avoid tackles. I cannot see how he has "re-invented" this concept.

Uh duh....he's reinvented it by the simple fact that special teams coaches are now devising never before schemes to avoid kicking the ball to dangerous return men such as Hester. Last year the NFL set a new record for return td's.

But Hester started it all in '06. Special Teams has become a very important part of the game. Hester has basically singlehandedly decided 10 games for the Bears over the last 2 years. A RETURN MAN!

And to the guy who thought I meant Hester would catch 6 or 7 PASSES...I was talking TOUCHDOWNS! He caught 30 balls last year!

He'll catch anywhere between 40-60 this year I'm sure with 6 or 7 tds. Then 6 or 7 return td's. Throw in a rushing td. And for good measure he'll probably pass for one. And if he does all that, you people are telling me he wouldn't get MVP consideration or HOF consideration?(if he does that kind of thing the duration of his career)

That's ONE GUY accounting for 14 td's at the least who touches the ball maybe 5 times a game. He averages a td every 1 out of every 11 times he touches the ball now. NO ONE IN THE NFL CAN BOAST THAT STAT!!!

HE WILL MAKE THE HALL....ANY ARGUMENT TO THE CONTRARY IS JUST LUDACRIS!!!!

Return men have a good couple years, but wear out fast due to the pounding they take. Dante Hall was amazing for a couple of years as well, but soon Hester will become just as irrelevant as Hall is now.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Uh duh....he's reinvented it by the simple fact that special teams coaches are now devising never before schemes to avoid kicking the ball to dangerous return men such as Hester. Last year the NFL set a new record for return td's.

I am pretty sure techniques such as the squib kickoff, the really really high kickoff and the punt out-of-bounds were invented before Devin Hester was born.

Also, I'll gladly lay 2:1 odds that Devin Hester doesn't have 6 TD catches this year.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

I am pretty sure techniques such as the squib kickoff, the really really high kickoff and the punt out-of-bounds were invented before Devin Hester was born.

Also, I'll gladly lay 2:1 odds that Devin Hester doesn't have 6 TD catches this year.

I'll take those odds in a heart beat!!! Easy money, cowboy!

And I'm just quoting what many NFL analysts have said, verbatim "Hester has re-invented the return game"

Yeah squibs and high kicks have been around. But never before has it been seen so frequently since Hester began this "return renaissance" 2 years ago. Like I said, it's all over the league now, not just because of Hester, but also guys like Cribbs, Washington, Figurs, Jones-Drew and so on.

But Hester started all this and continues to set the standard!!!

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

I'll take those odds in a heart beat!!! Easy money, cowboy!

How much? I am willing to wager up to $100 laying 2:1 odds (so you may wager up to $50).

Funds should be held in escrow by a respected third member of this forum and paid out at the end of the regular season.

speedracer said:

How much? I am willing to wager up to $100 laying 2:1 odds (so you may wager up to $50).

Funds should be held in escrow by a respected third member of this forum and paid out at the end of the regular season.

I am contemplating your proposal...not because I doubt Hester, but because I haven't gambled in 7 years after it nearly ruined my life. But this bet is too good to be true!!! I'll get back to ya!

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
HE WILL MAKE THE HALL....ANY ARGUMENT TO THE CONTRARY IS JUST LUDACRIS!!!!

Don't bring Luda into this.

ludacris-photo.jpg

Facts:

- Devin Hester will make the Hall of Fame.
- The Chicago Wolves are better than NHL teams with losing records.
- Bears, beets, Battlestar Gallactica.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Dude, Dante Hall couldn't hold Hester's jock strap. Comparing Hall to Hester is like comparing a big wheel to a Ferrari

I've been wondering this ever since this thread started: why are you on Hester's nuts so much? I understand you're a Bears fan, but that doesn't explain why you're defending him to the death like this. I mean, I'm an Eagles fan, but I can admit there are better running backs out there than Brian Westbrook.

Really, why are you so deeply in love with Devin Hester?

I think we have your next candidate for domekittymania

Dave -

Uh Duh. We are clearly so WRONG !!! This guy is SO going to make the HOF. Why do we even bother posting in this thread anymore. WHY?

DaveC said:

I mean, I'm an Eagles fan, but I can admit there are better running backs out there than Brian Westbrook.

That's because there are MANY better than Westcrook.

NO ONE IS BETTER THAN HESTER!

That is why I'm "on his nuts".

Back
Top Bottom