The all-things-tennis thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
So we usually have these sporadic threads whenever one of the majors is on but I've gotten more and more into tennis in recent years. And I must say there aren't many things I enjoy more on a January night than watching a really good game of tennis on the TV.

Anyway the Aus Open starts soon. Who's your pick? I like Novak, and he plays good tennis, so I'll pick him. Hopefully he beats Andy Murray in a tiebreaker in the fifth set for the championship.

And Tomic may be a wanker, but unlike the cricket I like to see Australians dominating tennis so here's hoping he goes a long way.

There has been some bad news come through however - Venus Williams has been forced to withdraw from the Australian open due to health reasons. Sources have hinted it could be testicular cancer.

Shit, didn't notice this thread at all.

Yeah, pretty much been tennis all day every day for me. :up:

Tomic just beat Mardy Fish (world no. 8) for the Kooyong Classic.

We might just have something here. After years and years of obnoxious COME ON!!!!s and backhands and forehands into the net.

Oh joy, another dickhead Aussie tennis player? Because if he's another Lleyton - as you're kind of making it sound - then please no.

Well he does sound like a dickhead. But we've been starved for years in the mens main and I'll take a little bit of arrogance at this point.

I just miss when male Aussie tennis players didn't make me want to throw, like when Pat Rafter was our most well-known player. I don't know much about him really, but he just didn't come across as a colossal bogan twat like Lleyton.

Tomic just beat Mardy Fish (world no. 8) for the Kooyong Classic.

We might just have something here. After years and years of obnoxious COME ON!!!!s and backhands and forehands into the net.

Tomic has a game which puts me asleep. It's a dreadfully boring game the way he just pushes the ball back into court before doing something. Watch Dolgopolov instead if you want an exciting game.

(Not to mention the hype on him, seriously, he gets namechecked every 10 minutes on 7TWO!)

Well he does sound like a dickhead. But we've been starved for years in the mens main and I'll take a little bit of arrogance at this point.

Ebden's not too bad and he's pretty likeable.

I just miss when male Aussie tennis players didn't make me want to throw, like when Pat Rafter was our most well-known player. I don't know much about him really, but he just didn't come across as a colossal bogan twat like Lleyton.

Pat Rafter was awesome at the WTC on Tuesday. :up:

There has been some bad news come through however - Venus Williams has been forced to withdraw from the Australian open due to health reasons. Sources have hinted it could be testicular cancer.

:laugh:

Nobody else picked up on this? Damn. Alas, the summer of tennis is here, time for my annual Sharapova avatar, perhaps.

The sad thing is, Verdasco isn't really even trying to win. He's doing his best to keep Tomic, who seems to have given up (or at least is showing no intensity), in the game. Verdasco should've locked the match up half an hour ago.

This match is so deplorable in quality why can't it just end. :doh:

Fiasco has lost the plot and Mugic is being his bored self ala most of the match.

Why? It's true, neither player deserves to win this match. Better off giving a bye to the second round opponent. It's really that bad.

Actually, no it isn't. :tongue: It's hot and uncomfortable nonetheless.

But fuck.

In other news, this Jones dude is getting absolutely and mercilessly raped by Dolgopolov after winning the first two sets. And he's not using lube. He just won the fourth set in like 15 minutes.

Wow! Wish I'd been able to watch it. Verdasco must be getting past it or something? He usually gets to the second week here.

80+ unforced errors. I think that says a lot. He pretty much dragged Tomic back into the game in the third set even when Tomic was in such a bad mental state at the time. The only big thing I can get from that match is that tennis lost.

In other news, this Jones dude is getting absolutely and mercilessly raped by Dolgopolov after winning the first two sets. And he's not using lube. He just won the fourth set in like 15 minutes.

Dolgopolov is awesome when he's on fire. Kind of wish they erased the first two sets off the scoreboard though, it doesn't look good.

No Federer fans here? When he's on form he is by far the most enjoyable tennis player to watch.

Vlad n U 2 said:
This Tomic hype is even worse than I thought. Goddamn it.

It's more just Channel 7 being fuckwits about it. They shouldn't be allowed to broadcast sport because they make things shit.

He's ranked 37 for heaven's sake.

My girl Cirstea vs Stosur today.

Back
Top Bottom