The All Purpose College Football Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queue the "Auburn wasn't trying" folks!
This could not have played out any better, I'm very happy! If Auburn clearly plays with and beats the #1's, and UCF has little issue controlling Auburn... well... sounds to me like UCF was good enough to play with the big boys all along.

Fix the system!

Oh this is fantastic. The amount of trolling UCF and Orlando are doing to the CFP is amazing. Billboards rented out telling the AP to vote UCF #1. The athletics department declaring themselves national champions, will get a banner in the stadium that says so. This is good shit.

It's getting even better. They're paying the coaches national championship bonuses and they're going to Disney world to throw a second national championship parade.

This is all a clever marketing campaign of course, but it's at the expense of telling the oligarchy to go fuck itself.

What in the flying fuck is this "Megacast" bullshit? Does ESPN really think I want to watch half of my TV screen covered by distracting videos of commentators? Does ESPN think I want to hear obnoxious fratboys with a microphone in their hands?

This will be a tricky situation for Ohio State. They probably don't have enough to fire with cause, and with $50 million owed to Meyer, they'd have to have him resign to get him out I'd assume. And it's bad, but it's not to the extent of what we saw at Penn State and Michigan State, and it will be easier for people to cite the gray area plausibly.

College football is back and #21 UCF is rolling.

#21.

Why?? It’s not like they lost a ton of players. Sure, Shaq and coach Frost were huge, and Trequan Smith was great, but the void left by Frost and Smith were filled, and all other impact players returned.

Preseason rankings have nothing to do with strength of schedule. This wreaks of “if they’re ranked too high and they don’t lose, they’ll be forced to move up.”

How can half of those teams ranked above them be considered better? Under what measure?

They’re not meaningless though. Last year was evidence to a point I made to you back in 2015. For a flawless team (or near flawless, referencing the Bortles 11-1 Fiesta Bowl champs), the initial seed they start at means absolutely everything. Because SoS values wins against ‘top teams’, even early in the season. If we agree that a 3-4 loss Iowa State. For example, if we just agree that Miami is the 8th best team and they aren’t, and one of their ACC counterparts beats them, they’re going to be credited a top 10 win and take Miami’s place. So anyone without a preseason ranking and without an early game against a preseason ranked team loses the massive benefit associated with early acceptance.

Preseason rankings are legitimately ‘the system’ at work. Suppression of growth that threatens the ecosystem.

Sorry, I meant the # is meaningless. I don't disagree with you that it can fuck teams up, for sure.

Dzvov87.gif

:ohmy:

Alternatively: That's about as amazing as it gets.

Guys: For one week, at least, we are good at football still :hyper:.

I dunno about the alternative. That’s just poor tackling and poor communication.

Also, shock shock, “#19” FSU looks like garbage. Why am I not surprised...

The SEC is all permitted to lose to one another and be considered better than everyone else by default.

Auburn loses at home and doesn’t drop out of the top 10. What a joke.

So, when will AP voters admit that Oklahoma, though good and undefeated, aren’t as good as the teams ranked in the top 10 around them?

They *do* *not* *look* *great*. I’m sick of “a win is a win” mentality. You can’t have that ruling when every top team wins.

To that point, now that they’ve pulled away a little bit:

I am curious if a metric exists out there to measure “game dominance.” i.e. how long is a game held competitive for? This could be a complex metric whereby the size of a lead or deficit is factored over how long it occurred. Or it could be discretely and more simply measured as a threshold (what fraction of a game was less than or equal to two scores and what fraction was greater than two scores). Or it could be as a scenario function of time - at what point in 60 minutes does the team secure a statistical victory?

My point with these metrics is teams like Oklahoma should be thoroughly punished for playing more than half of their games closely. They should be punished for not handling Army thoroughly, despite winning. Teams should be rewarded for ending the game in the first half. A score against a good team in garbage time with third strings in should my impact how their final score is viewed. Or, at least we should have a metric to help discern who suffers from that (such as current Alabama, who thoroughly dominates their opponents by halftime, whereas LSU requires 4th quarter play to separate from a C-USA team who hasn’t looked all that impressive).

I say this coming from a perspective of once having debated that my 2013-14 knights were unfairly treated, only to revisit that a little bit and say sure, they were somewhat unfairly treated, but not nearly as much as I thought, as they certainly didn’t always look impressive. Comparatively, the current Knights haven’t played close games past the first half aside from division/conference/bowl games in the last two season. FAU was the closest thing yet.

When you’re comparing all of these currently undefeated teams, that’s the measurable difference against similar opponents. Oklahoma, Auburn, and Stanford have tailed off, and should take a hit. Penn State, Notre Dame, WVU, and UCF have not.

Stop glorifying teams just because of “the system.” Think differently.

Point made: I commended Penn State for their performance and they’re neck and neck with Ohio State. I shit on Stanford and commended Notre Dame and ND is destroying Stanford.

I’m not a wizard. This was already abundantly obvious and despite winning, the system needs to punish teams for poor performance. It shouldn’t rely upon these teams playing head to head to prove it. There just aren’t enough games in a season for that.

I may have been going in that direction absent-mindedly. I just heard that song on the radio Saturday for the first time in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom