The All Purpose College Football Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyNumber7

Blue Crack Addict
2017 season nears.

Reason #656 I love football: day games during the middle of the week allow me to watch overseas in the evening.

-e0ad309f3bb35abejpg-e27144617ddf925f.jpg

So we've had a pair of massive losses already - time to test the wonderful ranking system though. 3-3 Syracuse just took down #2 6-0 Clemson. Who wants to guess where Clemson gets ranked next? How much forgiveness do they get??

Aaaand there you have it. Lose to an unranked team and that team doesn't even get a vote... Clemson doesn't even drop out of the top 10.

Meanwhile, a flurry of 0 and 1 loss teams behind them will likely never get the chance at a national title.

It's looking pretty good for the Big 12 to take the PAC 12s spot in the Playoff this year. :up:

Meanwhile my team is off to its worst start in over 50 years at 1-6. :(

Last edited:
NCAA Basketball score, top offense in the country.

Still plenty of season left, but excited for a system that might allow for UCF to play.

Can anyone explain why LSU is the perennial forgiveness team? It seems to me that despite whether or not they're ranked, when a good team loses to LSU, they're forgiven.

Case in point, two-loss #14 Auburn lost to an unranked LSU, who possesses embarrassing losses to Mississippi State and Troy. They could barely beat Florida, who looks awful, and otherwise only possess one victory of convincing fashion against a "notable" Ole Miss team.

GUYS I need somewhere to vent holy crap fuck this bullshit system.

IMG_6789.JPG
IMG_6791.JPG

Top 10 in almost every advanced statistic. Top 5 in a handful. Flawless record. Produced 2-3x the opponent score for petty competition. Only two games have been under that mark, and only had a margin of victory under 10 once.

Yet, they're the barrier between the 3 loss and 2 loss teams. When will the NCAA come out and just admit that their "Power 5" model is based around tv ratings and what sells. This is total bullshit... ton win at SMU and watch all those other teams lose and fail to move from fucking #18.

That makes zero sense. I mean hell, we have a loss (and a horrible one at that) and are ranked above them.

I'm fine with whatever damn argument anyone wants to put up about SOS. I'm cool with 1 loss teams being ahead if they lost to a good football team. I know UCF hasn't played anyone of note outside of their stronger conference opponents.

Advanced stats might say 2 or 5 or 7 or whatever. I'm fine if they're not given that number.

I'm not cool with a handful of teams earning their second loss and failing to fall behind an undefeated team that has done nothing but master their opponents.

This system is worse than the BCS if it's like this. It's very clear: group of five teams are not welcome in the college football playoffs. Not even close.

Yeah they're not gonna let any G5 into the playoff. The best you can hope for is the G5 spot in a NY6 bowl. TCU and Utah won the P5 lottery and the gap between P5 and G5 continues to widen. Sucks for fans of G5 schools (like me) but it is what it is.

There are a ton of great top 25 games today

Notre Dame-Miami
Georgia-Auburn
Michigan St-Ohio St
TCU-Oklahoma
Ok St-Iowa St
Iowa-Wisconsin
Bama-Miss St

Should be a fun day of college football.

Last edited:
Yeah they're not gonna let any G5 into the playoff. The best you can hope for is the G5 spot in a NY6 bowl. TCU and Utah won the P5 lottery and the gap between P5 and G5 continues to widen. Sucks for fans of G5 schools (like me) but it is what it is.

Well, it's still realistically possible in a two season format. Houston had a great ranking last year, was it? To start the season. If they won out, given their schedule, it was conceivable.

That's sort of the UCF pipe dream I have right now. Make it to their NY6, win, retain Frost/Milton/Killins, and start next season with a mid rank and play some solid ranked SEC or ACC opponents in addition to Memphis and South Florida continuing their solid performances... and be a 0 or 1 loss team. Probably 0.

It's sad that that's the extent a team would have to go to of "ifs" to just be considered. Wasn't TCU evidence enough that there's a big falsehood surrounding non power teams' ability to play against power teams?

OOOOOOF omg heart attacks galore UCF over USF 49-42 in a roller coaster final fourth quarter.

There we have it. Perfect during the regular season. Now for the AAC conference championship!

Wow. The committee had the nerve to put Stanford and Washington above UCF today. This system is fucked. UCF took down a ranked 9-1 team (but everyone look it was a power 5 ranked 9-1 team!!).

I hope TCU beats Oklahoma on Saturday just so it screws the Big XII out of a Playoff spot by having a Conference Championship game this year.

Actually I probably don't want that to happen because it would likely mean two SEC teams in the playoff (assuming Alabama wins). It's too bad TCU lost to Iowa St or they would be playing for a playoff spot on Saturday.

As for my earlier comment, I'm not really a fan of the Big 12 after the way they handled the last round of expansion, so I would have some schadenfreude in seeing them shutout (again).

Ahh yeah you're right. I'd just been hearing Bama was in if Oklahoma or Wisconsin lost.

Yeah the system is far from perfect but I like it better than the BCS era.

As a fan of a quasi G5 school I would like to see the playoff expanded to 8 teams. The five P5 Conf. champs, two at large, and a spot for the top G5 team (maybe based on certain ranking qualifications).

Last edited:
Fuck that. I would like to see respect given to "group of 5" teams. Power 5 my ass. Yes, I agree, specific programs do make those conferences have more talent. But it's been shown before several times that a good team from "group of 5" conferences can easily best a good team from "power 5" conferences.

Woke up 7 AM on 1 hour sleep and drove three hours up to Orlando for the AAC championship.

That was wild. Insane. So many heart attacks. So many mountains to overcome. UCF blocked a kick with some 20 seconds left to keep it tied. After the celebrations - and I didn't see any flags - they called back the play for a re-kick due to delay of game. This was the second turnover callback on a delay of game in the final minutes of a tied game, seemed rather suspect in how they let the play go on before blowing their whistles.

Anywho, 2x OT 120 points endzone interception to win it. I've lost my voice and my heart can't take anymore [emoji23] amazing game to see. Extra bonus: All That You Can't Leave Behind... Scott Frost holding back tears on the championship podium as Beautiful Day plays - news was announced during OT that he was leaving for Nebraska (spineless disgusting media).

Back
Top Bottom