The AFL Thread Watching the Bombers Fly Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great news for the club. Let's just hope they're not rejoining a meaningless league.

Fucking hell, Sydney making the finals is bad enough, but going deep into September even worse. Those first six weeks of season feel like a distant memory.

If one of this decade's Permanent Finalists must make the eight, I'd so much prefer it to be Hawthorn. At least they're not from the shitbag state I live in now.

For the record, I'm picking an Adelaide-GWS final. Sure, GWS have had a rough few weeks. But I'd love to support a team whose rough few weeks leaves them third on the ladder with a solid shot at September glory.

A season full of surprises and unpredictability and it's going to be a fucking Sydney Hawthorn grand final.

Hawthorn are 12th and 6 points from 8th? :scratch: Not to mention, their % is very weak compared to anyone in the top 10.

Wow, what a weekend of dreadful, unwatchable games. Collingwood vs North and Richmond vs Hawthorn were both footy at its worst.

Huge fucking lol at Port right now.

84 point win in windy, wet conditions. :lol:

So much fun. Imagine if we kicked straight in the first half.

It was an awful round of football. I lost interest three minutes in when we got fucking fucked by Sydney. Any Geelong fan who went into that game confident is an idiot, we're too mentally weak to beat Sydney. AND now we've lost Selwood. The rest of the round was horrendous (geez the goalkicking was bad) but Richmond Hawthorn was fine?????

but Richmond Hawthorn was fine?????

The hell are you talking about? I know everybody seems to go out of their way to enjoy Hawthorn being terrible at the moment, but it was a dull, uncompetitive game that contained the poor goalkicking you mentioned. It was 44 to 17 at half-time, which is always an indication of a shit game, and the scoreline only looks vaguely acceptable to Hawthorn because of some meaningless fourth quarter goals. I actually stayed in to watch it rather than doing my original plans, since I figured it'd be an exciting contest. Instead, unpacking a couple of boxes from my move proved more enjoyable.

Unless it's Essendon or the All Blacks doing the pasting, it's boring to watch an uncompetitive game.

And I find the Hawthorn hate tedious. They're still one of the opposition teams I like the most. Sydney is the reprehensible Permanent Finalist.

You are normally the first person to enjoy a successful sports team having a shit run.

That said, gotta give Alastair Clarkson a huge amount of credit. He's effectively done a rebuild in half a season when it takes most other clubs at least two years. They'll play finals again next year.

Well my interest in this season has nosedived even further. No Selwood til finals, and no Hawkins or Duncan against the Tigers this week. We're going to finish eighth and get slaughtered by Sydney in a fucking elimination final. Ugh.

You are normally the first person to enjoy a successful sports team having a shit run.

I've enjoyed some of the upset victories over Hawthorn because I love the whole underdog thing. But nah, Hawthorn's in my top four or five teams in broad terms. I usually barracked for them in recent finals.

Well my interest in this season has nosedived even further. No Selwood til finals, and no Hawkins or Duncan against the Tigers this week. We're going to finish eighth and get slaughtered by Sydney in a fucking elimination final. Ugh.

You've got to lose all of your last three games and one of the four teams jammed on 40 points has to win all three for you to even possibly finish eighth. :lol:

When Richmond plays slick footy it's fun to watch. But we don't really do it for sustained periods. That second quarter was awful to watch.

I never saw him as a particularly inspired appointment in the beginning to be honest.

Yeah, it always baffled me that the Suns signed him. Dreadful choice. Kind of funny he's the first sacking this season though, rather than Bucks.

Why you think that? Had a good track record as a coach. The club's a rabble, not sure what else he could have done.

I think Bucks gets re-signed. I like him and I think he's a good coach.

Oh I fucking hope Bucks gets re-signed, he's managed to keep Collingwood firmly on a downward trajectory. It's quite beautiful really. If Eddie didn't have such a raging boner for him, he'd have been out on his arse over a year ago.

As for Eade, the end of his tenure at the Doggies was unimpressive - he basically stalled. Then he contributed to Buckley turning the Pies from premiers into bottom-of-the-table stragglers. A team like Gold Coast needed somebody very different.

I think there are broader issues than the coach though. They've haemorrhaged some quality players over the years: O'Meara, Prestia, Dixon, Smith.
I felt like Eade had no chance. His tenures at Sydney and 'Scray were quite admirable.

My crazy idea is to expand the league to 24 teams. Two divisions of 12, each team plays each other home and away for a total of 22 rounds. Promotion/relegation for two teams from each.

You do it by adding Tasmania, New Zealand, and third teams in WA and SA, and for the last two you could save Port Melbourne and Williamstown from the moribund VFL or add NT and, say, North Queensland.

I really don't think you could expand the AFL as a single division and keep it competitive. Tasmania and somebody else to bring it to 20 would, I suspect, dilute the talent pool so much that the bottom four or five teams would be agonisingly uncompetitive. But if you have enough teams to justify two divisions and every team playing every other twice, you can give teams to the areas that deserve them, grow the game, get rid of the compromised draw, and avoid the bottom teams becoming punching bags. Plus, you know, 12 footy games a weekend.

Anyway, there's my wine-influenced pipedream for the evening.

Jobe has announced his retirement. Speaks volumes of the man that through it all, I never lost respect for him. I hope he finds peace, happiness and passion in retirement.

Gutted to see him go. I was hoping he had one more year in him, all the while doubting how much he even wanted to be there this year. At least he gets to leave on his terms now.

Watched the "return" of The Footy Show tonight. Eddie McGuire, for all the dumb things he's said, remains just an absolutely outstanding talent. A brilliant host and actually made the show engaging. The rest... didn't offer much. Ratings will spike for a little while, but what Channel 9 and all the fuckwits in the media (read Rita Panahi) refuse to admit is that after 20+ years the show is stale and cooked. 20 years is an incredible run, and it's okay to say alright, we had a good run, we're done now. Instead, they're all pretending that 'political correctness' is what is ruining it, but as tonight proved, it's just not interesting any more.

I found it so fucking hilarious that after writing about 17 trillion articles defending The Footy Show, Rita Panahi watched it for 29 minutes tonight before tweeting she'd had enough and was switching to Paul Murray Live. Just goes show that she couldn't give a single fuck about anything other than the pathetic culture wars. 28 trillion column inches and you switch off after 10 minutes? Fuck out of here.

But there was good stuff. The FootyBox (gogglebox ripoff with AFL players watching footy shows) was genuinely fantastic, and the interview with Rodney Eade was utterly brilliant, thanks to Eade being extremely open and a good line of questioning from all involved. Funny how those two things were the best parts. If you want to try and save it, cut it down to an hour, 90 minutes absolute maximum, and play to your strengths.

Wait, there was a "return" of the Footy Show? Where did it go? Was commercial television briefly free of its sweaty palms?

I honestly don't believe anybody still watches it. I remember the rugby league version in Queensland seventeen years ago and not thinking it was good viewing.

Back
Top Bottom