The 2011 AFL Thread: *insert desired expletives here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
West Coast vs Melbourne
Sydney vs Carlton
North Melbourne vs Port Adelaide
Richmond vs Brisbane
Adelaide vs St Kilda
Essendon vs Gold Coast
Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs

When was the last time all games in a round were won by home teams?

Would have tipped Melbourne Dees last night I think. Very drab game of football, though West Coast might be a chance to sneak into the 8 come season's end. Squad is coming good after a few years dwelling in the cellar.

Sydney
North Melbourne
Richmond
Colliwobbles
St. Kilda
Ess-a-don

Whenever I make picks and notice I've picked all home teams (or, worse, all away teams), I make a point of changing my picks. It's so rare that the odds of it happening the week I pick it to happen are very, very slim! :lol:

Welp, I'm pretty damn pleased. We could have won by a lot more, but to have the game so firmly in control for the whole thing is great. To win by 54 points and still have Lecca and Naita two of your worst players on the ground is a pretty great sign.

Speaking of which, can't remember who the Dees player was but did you see him get into a fight with Naita in the Dees forward 50 in the 3rd quarter (I think?)? I'd never seen the man so pissed off before. Wondering if there's something else to it.

A few things I want to know.

- Why is Mark Jamar labeled as 'Russian'?

- Why is Andrew Demetriou labeled as Vlad?

:scratch:

No idea, as far as I know it's a Slovenian name.

I think it's a reference to Vlad the Impaler that Sheeds made a few years ago, or because it rhymes with "AD". I'm not too sure.

Check out my assignment for my Media Law & Ethics class:

1. A popular football team, the Bobcats, takes off for a training camp at a beachside resort in Victoria, and heads out to a bar one night. They party on back at their hotel afterwards, with one of the bar attendants. Twelve months later, the respected national, commercial TV current affairs program ‘Public Eye’ broadcasts a story featuring the bar attendant describing her harrowing ordeal at the idyllic resort hotel. In the story, she tells the reporter that she was raped by three football players as another took photographs of her, and the three men, naked. The ‘Public Eye’ story shows the woman in shadow profile only and disguises her voice. The reporter says that their story research has been handed over to police, who are investigating. The reporter notes in the story put to air that the woman has come forward because she wanted justice but thought no one would want to help her.

2. A commercial TV station downloads some Facebook photographs and features them along with a series of file story images on its morning news program.

3. The faces of two of the three players and that of the woman are clearly shown in the downloaded photos used during a panel discussion on the same program of the issue of football players’ involvement in scandal and public misadventure.

4. Two days later, police charge one of the three Bobcat players with rape and aggravated assault. Commercial TV Channel Y puts a 2
promo to air featuring a clip from what the promo voiceover claims is a ‘startling and shocking’ text message sent from a Bobcats player to a club official about the incident. The case goes to trial. The defence asks the Channel Y reporter to reveal how she obtained a copy of the message. She refuses.

5. A Melbourne radio bulletin that evening reports on the case and invites listeners to "tweet, text, or phone with comments". DJ Mike Marconi reads out a Tweet that says, "Not worth my time in that jury seat tomorrow. Verdict’s decided in kangaroo court."

We have to discuss this scenario with regards to consequences for journalists, etc. Pretty damn interesting and it's a very "open" essay, something I never get to write.

Anyway I post because I want to know - re Andrew Lovett. Remember he was charged with raping that chick in an apartment in 09/10? I can't find anything that says he's guilty/not guilty, so I assume the hearing/trial is yet to come? Anywhere you can look to see when a case is scheduled?

No idea, as far as I know it's a Slovenian name.

I think it's a reference to Vlad the Impaler that Sheeds made a few years ago, or because it rhymes with "AD". I'm not too sure.

Many people seem to make the mistake of thinking all Slavics are Russian. :tsk:

I could definitely imagine AD having vampire fangs, though.

If Jamar is labeled Russian then why isn't Porplyzia labeled as such seeing as he's Ukrainian?

Mystery. :wink:

Port Adelaide are always shit, and have been for the past few years. They only ever play well in Showdowns.

It'd be nice of Brisbane could go ahead and play Collingwood, St. Kilda or Richmond, because that's apparently the only way ESPN3 is ever going to show one of their games :grumpy:

Port Adelaide are always shit, and have been for the past few years. They only ever play well in Showdowns.

I know that much, but I can't possibly see why they've suddenly become even shittier this year. They weren't so shit that they'd be beaten by a crappy new team on their home ground, or thrashed by likely wooden spooners. This really is a new low for them.

I know that much, but I can't possibly see why they've suddenly become even shittier this year. They weren't so shit that they'd be beaten by a crappy new team on their home ground, or thrashed by likely wooden spooners. This really is a new low for them.

North Melbourne aren't that bad, yes bottom half side at the time being but they're not that bad.

Now off to the football.

What's up with the lack of footy on TV this weekend? The arvo game wasn't on telly, and NEITHER game tomorrow is on ... apparently 7 would rather show some V8 Supercars race than Essendon (admittedly it's only against the Mould Coast). Ugh. I'd much rather watch footy than some bloody car race. Not as if it's Bathurst or Sandown either.

Great game tonight, though Vlad you must've had a couple of heart attacks during the third quarter! The Crows really should've killed that game by halfway through the second; not much excuse for letting St Kilda back into that. The Saints were woeful and abysmal. Wow. How the hell do you kick so utterly inaccurately?

I'm back, chums.

Great game tonight, though Vlad you must've had a couple of heart attacks during the third quarter! The Crows really should've killed that game by halfway through the second; not much excuse for letting St Kilda back into that. The Saints were woeful and abysmal. Wow. How the hell do you kick so utterly inaccurately?

I don't think we were really that bad in front of goal, I mean, Tippett only kicked one behind. It seems as if he's totally turned his kicking style around.

And from what I saw I got the feeling that the umpires were deliberately trying to gift St. Kilda goals, but their fail kicking much of the time backfired on the umpires.

Crows forwards are amazing. That is all.

I wet my pants, multiple times.

How was Tippet's shot from 45 on the boundary in the last? Awesome.

I knew he was going to slot that, confidence is a wonderful thing.

And for a 33k crowd, they sure make a shitload of noise! The crowd was deafening when Walker kicked that freak goal in the third.

Oh yeah, and I sat behind the Crows players who weren't playing. Ivan Maric's head blocked my view to a degree.

How was Tippet's shot from 45 on the boundary in the last? Awesome.

So glad the Tigs won too

That was awesome.

And good on Richmond. God, when will the Lions win a game!

I don't think we were really that bad in front of goal

I thought it was clear I meant St Kilda there. Hell, if they had kicked accurately in the first quarter, they would've headed into the first break with a pretty handy lead!

It seemed as if the first quarter saw the umpires trying to gift St. Kilda goals, so it was only fair that they kept on missing! We had come to play.

In addition, the crowd was absolutely phenomenal. I do think the crowd had a lot to say in St. Kilda's misses. The 19th Man crowd meter thing hit maximum a few times.

Axver said:
What's up with the lack of footy on TV this weekend? The arvo game wasn't on telly, and NEITHER game tomorrow is on ... apparently 7 would rather show some V8 Supercars race than Essendon (admittedly it's only against the Mould Coast). Ugh. I'd much rather watch footy than some bloody car race. Not as if it's Bathurst or Sandown either.

Fox Sports wouldn't get their weekly 4 games on, hence no games on FTA. No arvo game yesterday cause 10 showed one of their 2 games on Thursday.

But it's strange 7 have only had one game on this weekend.

Anyone see Jamie Graham's horrible injury from the WAFL? Really not for the squeamish at all, and the worst thing is that he's a nice guy who's already had a tough run in his time (missed 06 premiership after playing all H&A games, mum's apparently a junkie).

Seriously, look away NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom