The 2011 AFL Thread: *insert desired expletives here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought it sounded like you had another dig at the Tigers. :lol:

Mega roost from 60-70m by Dustin Fletcher.

Oh no, that was the "poor, poor Richmond" of pity.

IT'S ANOTHER DRAW.

What a game. Surely this is a classic? So many lead changes and Dustin Fletcher should never retire, he's almost 36 and he brings down the fastest player on the ground as well as saving Essendon's ass many times?

I'm amazed, what a game.

Wow, that was awesome. Epic final quarter, everything that footy's all about. Love the Carlton fuck-up at the end that allowed us to sneak the score-levelling behind. Looks like we copped a couple of injuries though ...

You got two, and you played without them for the majority of the game. Outstanding that Essendon still crept in for a draw, as the signs were pointing to the Blues winning.

Bit pissed the Showdown's not on telly here. They're broadcasting Sydney vs Geelong instead.

In all fairness, no matter where either team is on the ladder, the Showdown is still brutal and exciting to watch so I can easily understand. Same goes for the Derby.

I don't live in SA or WA, so I really can't comment, but it would appear to me to be overstated. I don't think true rivalries exist anymore. "Showdown" and "derby" are just fancy words to get more people through the gates. Even Carlton/Collingwood is not that much different to any other blockbuster, at least compared to 10, 15, 20, 30, 50 years ago. "Rivalry round" is a joke. The only fever-pitch rivalry I can think of is Collingwood/Essendon on ANZAC Day. Otherwise it's dictated by ladder position, like when Geelong played St Kilda in round 13 in 09 or 10 and neither side had lost yet.

But I don't live in SA or WA so maybe it's alive and well over there.

They're still doing rivalry round? If they still were then wouldn't the Eagles be playing Fremantle this weekend?

Really? Why? Surely Sydney/Geelong holds greater interest for anyone who's not a Crows/BogansPort fan.

I'd rather watch an intense and fiercely fought local derby with a lot of pride on the line beyond just a place on the ladder. Plus Sydney's a team I just cannot give two shits about, and I'm only lukewarm towards Geelong, so it's not a contest I see a substantial degree of interest in. I'll still put it on and (assuming it's not a shit match) enjoy it, but I'd rather watch the Showdown.

They're still doing rivalry round? If they still were then wouldn't the Eagles be playing Fremantle this weekend?

Maybe not... I just assumed. Is there a lot of passion in Adelaide at the moment for this game?

I'd rather watch an intense and fiercely fought local derby with a lot of pride on the line beyond just a place on the ladder. Plus Sydney's a team I just cannot give two shits about, and I'm only lukewarm towards Geelong, so it's not a contest I see a substantial degree of interest in. I'll still put it on and (assuming it's not a shit match) enjoy it, but I'd rather watch the Showdown.

My point is that I'm not sure this game will be as intense/fierce/have as much pride on the line as any other game. But I could be wrong.

Maybe not... I just assumed. Is there a lot of passion in Adelaide at the moment for this game?

You could certainly say so, yes.

But both team's supporters are more cynical about the game than bagging each other over who's going to win. :D Naturally, with Port being 0-3 and Crows dishing up a disappointing performance last week.

Suppose you'll find a stream, Ax?

Nah, too much effort to be honest. Geelong/Sydney should get me through the evening fine enough.

And I'd just like to say that I think rivalry round is a fair bit of bullshit, trying to cash in on genuine rivalries and sucking the spirit out of them. Just let the genuine rivalry matches happen when they happen rather than trying to manufacture a special week.

I suspect that both the showdown and the derby exert a lot more passion from fans than that Collingwood - Essendon bollocks.

Adelaide, Port, West Coast and Freo are all relatively new teams. The decision to support one of these sides is more likely to be politically motivated, or inspired by a locally relevant cultural attitude, or as a means of resistance to the market entrant (WC/Adelaide). Or even geographical!

Melbourne Heart already have 4000 members in Melbourne, most of those weren't Victory traitors, but were instead people who had been ambivalent to the Melbourne Victory Club and brand since our inception. There is already an intense rivalry between the two clubs, both on and off the field. Dugandzic is gonna cop all sorts of ribbing from Victory fans after his recent transfer to Heart.

Still, Sydney and Geelong is the right match to be screened tonight by TEN. Both clubs ate top four contenders, while Port are almost bottom four certainties and Adelaide seem destined for mid-table mediocrity (despite a quality list).

Really, Channel Seven should be showing the Showdown and abandon the Gold Coast-Melbourne match tomorrow.

The second term once again proves that the Showdown is Port's "Grand Final".

This is the first time I will say that I'm ashamed to be a Crows supporter.

I will stop now.

Happy I tipped Port, that's all I'll say. Also was at the draw today, can't fucking get away from seeing draws lately. 3 in the last 12 months I've been to in person.

Wow, what happened Adelaide! Where's that good start to the season gone?

One good win isn't exactly a "good start". There'd need to be more than one win to earn the title of having a "good start".

Then there's the issue of Port's duds, doing absolutely nothing for the whole year, playing the games of their lives.

I mean, come on, Westhoff? Are you freaking serious?

Yeah, not saying much though if we're going to get the same run of bad results, which looks ever so likely.

33k? Looked a little better than that. But it was a Port home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom