Rio 2016 Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this Olympics is all going wrong so far for New Zealand. We blew great medal opportunities in the equestrian, as did one of our cyclists, and our sailors are yet to shine. Worse still, our men's rugby sevens team has bombed out in the quarter-finals in what can only be described as a disastrous shock result. For context, rugby sevens has been in the Commonwealth Games since 1998, and across five editions New Zealand has lost literally one game (the 2014 final, to Fiji). The Olympics may have an expanded pool of countries, but only a couple of those not at the Commonwealth Games have seriously competitive teams, so it's not as if this is any harder a challenge - and we routinely meet (and beat) them on the world sevens circuit anyway.

Our coach has been raising concerns for a few years that sevens has been falling by the wayside in New Zealand, that its development is not progressing nor being supported to the same level as full 15-a-side rugby. The question now is whether he's got a point, or if he's diverting blame away from himself - seems to be a bit of both to me, and injuries didn't help either. For a country where our national identity is basically formed around rugby, this hurts.

Anyway, here's hoping Fiji now go all the way. I think if they win it will be their first Olympic gold in anything. They should account for Japan in the semis, though the Japanese team is becoming a reasonable force in world sevens. Then I don't see Fiji losing to whoever wins out of South Africa or Great Britain, even if the Saffers are in good form right now.

Meanwhile, the good news for New Zealand is that we've got some pretty good opportunities still on the horizon in the rowing and cycling. But I have a feeling this is not going to be an Olympics we remember fondly.

Belgium earned its first swimming medal in 20 years yesterday! Amazing. We've already done beter than in London with our three medals, including one gold one.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

I'd like to sleep with all the Olympians.

Olympic-Team-Trials-Wrestling-1880x1090.jpeg

Well this Olympics is all going wrong so far for New Zealand. We blew great medal opportunities in the equestrian, as did one of our cyclists, and our sailors are yet to shine.

Heh, I would be surprised if Belarus actually won a medal. Doesn't look like it.

Supernintendo Chalmers. That was a fucking awesome 100m free final. He came from fucking nowhere to win that.

And he's, what, 18? Amazing potential. Can't wait to see where he goes now to Tokyo.

Speaking of which, Japanese swimmers are having a great meet. They'll be a force in 2020.

random thoughts:

the women's sports have overall been much better competition and far more entertaining to watch so far.

rugby sevens has been the biggest success of the rio games and i am sure the popularity of this sport is going to skyrocket because of these olympics.

holy shit they know how to play rugby in fiji.

turns out we were discussing the wrong swiss beach volleyball team earlier.

this is the correct swiss beach volleyball team:
sd02_15_swatch_proteam_joanaheidrich_nadinezumkehr_8697_original.jpg

and canada kicked their ass the other day.

speaking of canada, our women are the best.

that is all.

I'm so happy for Fiji! That was a right thrashing in the Gold Medal final against Great Britain. Wow. The first ever medal for Fiji and in their favorite sport.

Watched the Women's All-Around and wow, the US women were amazing. Simone had all the pressure in the world on her and was nails.

Swimming has been so entertaining this year. Glad to see so many different countries winning medals.

Holy shit that was a complete performance by Fiji, it was like there was nobody else on the park. So fantastic to see them win gold, having never medalled in thirteen previous Games. Just look at the emotion from the players.

Also I'm delighted to see New Zealand finally won a gold - and through who else, Eric Murray and Hamish Bond in the men's coxless pair. They're unbeaten across their eight seasons together in the class, a record in rowing and a breathtaking athletic achievement full stop. Never should have doubted they would return with the goods.

Tough competition in Women's Gymnastics. Russia is ahead now, followed closely by the best of the US team. Riveting!

I DVRd the CBC daytime broadcast and watched gymnastics tonight. Yay. Accidentally caught the spoiler for gold medal on the radio, but oh well. Still wanted to watch. Glad I did.

Also, Simone Manuel's win is a massive moment for USA swimming. So good for the sport.

You're going to have to explain this, because it's not as if the US is struggling for medals in swimming specifically or the Olympics in general. In broad terms, I support anybody who is not representing Australia, China, or the US because it's so fucking boring watching those three countries win medals. As soon as I hear any of those three has won a medal I tune out.

Back
Top Bottom