Rio 2016 Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fuck I wasn't prepared. The timing of events appears to be great for those of us on the east coast of Aus. But I'm hungover and didn't even know the ceremony was on. Damn :(

Watching now, pretty cool. There was a bit just before the first flight bit that was really awesome, it was like a video game. Also the song playing during Gisele's bit was cool.

i'm definitely excited for the men's road cycling race on saturday morning. it's a great course - it has big hills and cobblestones like a belgian classic (those are usually awesome, exciting races), and there is a wide range of top cyclists who can excel on this course and have pretty much all said they're going all out for gold.

if you're at all interested in watching cycling but can't get into a 3-week race like the tour de france, this will be the best time to watch without a doubt.
:up:

Are there really cobblestones? It's still a climber's race though isn't it? We've barely got a chance I think.

One day I'll learn about cycling, it's still boring as shit to me to watch. Rowing as well is not a great spectator sport. Thank god the table tennis is on our third channel. Hilarious shit.

:up:

Are there really cobblestones? It's still a climber's race though isn't it? We've barely got a chance I think.

yup, there's nasty friggin cobblers and they're going over them four times, twice more. three circuits with an actual climb near the end.

Screen-Shot-2016-08-05-at-11.56.50-AM.png

One day I'll learn about cycling, it's still boring as shit to me to watch.

as of right now they're pretty well exactly 90 km into this, 152 km left to go.

today is absolutely the time to watch. this race is amazing and it's not even halfway over. the scenery is great, there's always something going on (crashes, mechanical problems, fast descending) cause of the cobbles and the climbs in this circuit, flip it on and if you want i can answer any questions you might have to help you make sense of it dude.

It's a great race. These cobblestones are incredibly tricky. And the scenery :drool:

i got up a bit too late to see the very first part of the race and missed most of the black section on the map as they went to the first circuit, i imagine that portion going back is going to be gorgeous.

the tv coverage is absolutely terrible, though. there needs to be more information on the screen - time gap and distance at a bare minimum. you'd hardly know there's a breakaway if you haven't been paying close attention. it's going to be difficult to follow once gaps open up on the last climbs.

i think whatever director was responsible for the video broadcast (each country has the same video but their own commentary) got sacked about half an hour ago and replaced with someone who actually has some knowledge of cycling.

Wooooo! Van Avermaet!

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

he had an incredible ride. the best man definitely won today. fuglsang and majka are also well deserving medalists. what a race.

He's an incredible rider. Such a fighter. He had no right to still be in the front after those climbs.

Such a shame for Nibali and Henao though. One risk too many.

loving the new specialized bikes that changed colours as the race went on.

man, i'm kinda bummed that cobbler missed this one, if there was ever a race to see as your first this was it. oh well. time to flip over to swimming.

Yes it was a very exciting race. So much more interesting than your average Tour stage.

Great race indeed. I guess the women go tomorrow? Another opportunity to catch that course.

Nice WR, Adam Peaty.

Great prelims session for the first day of the swummin'.

By the end of the week, Ledecky shall rule them all.

At one point to today I had 3 screens on. It was glorious. Luckily, NBC lets us West Coasters stream everything live so I don't have to wait 3 hours.

US wins the first medal in shooting. That's appropriate.

Ledecky had an amazing swim in the relay prelim. Swam a personal best.

LOL. Hit quote instead of edit. I'm special.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

How insufferable is the commentary in other parts of the world? We've just had two Australians finish sixth and seventh in the 400 IM final and the commentators were falling over themselves to talk about how brave it was. It's infuriating.

Great race indeed. I guess the women go tomorrow? Another opportunity to catch that course.

yep! they do the same course except with one less lap of each circuit.

time trial on wednesday as well around the circuit with the cobbles, although i hear they're going to be paved over for the TT, which is probably wise.

something i learned today, in order to be eligible to participate in the time trial, you have to start, but not necessarily finish, the road race. that's why tom dumoulin (the favourite for the TT) basically went about 5 easy km this morning and then hopped off the bike. he has a fractured wrist and going over those cobbles would have hurt like hell.

horrible luck again for richie porte, broken collarbone. don't stand next to him in a thunderstorm, he's clearly got a voodoo hex on him or something.

Last edited:
I would imagine most commentary is insufferable worldwide, or at least in countries where ratings matter. Since there are so many sports that are never on TV except once every 4 years, tv networks feel the need to create narratives and stories to engage a general, layperson audience and create an emotional that might otherwise be fairly bewildered by "inside baseball" commentary. Plus, at least in the US, the audience is largely female, an audience that testing shows seeks/needs an emotional connection in order not to change the channel.

That, and/or the bodies of male gymnasts.

That Swedish volleyball team was kind of ridiculous.

I mean...

One of them, the blond, looked like a legit Bond girl.

The other had the biggest boobs in volleyball history.

It's all I could think about. How hot they were.

I would call myself a pig...but my goodness...

Back
Top Bottom