Rio 2016 Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I were a female athlete who wanted to become pregnant, and/or a male athlete who was planning on having kids in the next 2-3 years, it would absolutely make a difference as to whether or not I participated.

I get that. But this seems like one of those situations where people aren't doing something for fear of an event that could happen with smaller likelihood of them getting a car that day and it sucks to see people hide from that. But it's their lives. I'm not letting it ruin the Olympics for me.

I get that. But this seems like one of those situations where people aren't doing something for fear of an event that could happen with smaller likelihood of them getting a car that day and it sucks to see people hide from that. But it's their lives. I'm not letting it ruin the Olympics for me.

I also think it gets exagerated when male golfers, say, pull out of the competition and their female counterparts show up.

Or when soccer players pretend they've been shot after a scratch while AFL players refuse to leave the field after being belted from pillar to post.

*hit by a car...Jesus.

One of the sports I'm most excited about in these Olympics is beach volley. The whole setting in Copacabana is just about perfect:

fc45c89e-d113-41b8-9059-c512b713cf98.jpeg

That place was ground zero for beach volley well before it was an Olympic sport.

I like what London did, but it's just not the same:

Beach-Volleyball-London-201211.jpg

Last edited:
i'm definitely excited for the men's road cycling race on saturday morning. it's a great course - it has big hills and cobblestones like a belgian classic (those are usually awesome, exciting races), and there is a wide range of top cyclists who can excel on this course and have pretty much all said they're going all out for gold.

if you're at all interested in watching cycling but can't get into a 3-week race like the tour de france, this will be the best time to watch without a doubt.

i'm definitely excited for the men's road cycling race on saturday morning. it's a great course - it has big hills and cobblestones like a belgian classic (those are usually awesome, exciting races), and there is a wide range of top cyclists who can excel on this course and have pretty much all said they're going all out for gold.

if you're at all interested in watching cycling but can't get into a 3-week race like the tour de france, this will be the best time to watch without a doubt.

I'm definitely watching it, it's one of my favorite early Olympic events. The route in Rio should be very pretty too, quite scenic in many parts.

I can't stop thinking about the Olympics. I'm so ready for this. My life's goal is to work on the 2020 Olympics, and there's just something about this being the last one before that that has me really really hyped. I can't explain it.

I can't stop thinking about the Olympics. I'm so ready for this. My life's goal is to work on the 2020 Olympics, and there's just something about this being the last one before that that has me really really hyped. I can't explain it.

That would be exciting!

First event is starting in a little over 2 hours. Women's soccer, Sweden vs South Africa.

I just noticed that Beijing is hosting the 2022 Olympics....wtf....

why not? the venues are still relatively new, and probably only need renovation at best. the last games were pretty successful. it'll probably be the cheapest olympics in decades if the chinese do it right.

edit: oh wait - winter games. :der: i guess there'll be less overlap for venues, but even still, why not?

It just goes back to the conversation we were having, though, and what you want out of the Olympics, I guess. China's a pretty large country. If they're going to host again, from my perspective, having another Olympics in the same place that quickly is lame. :\

why not? the venues are still relatively new, and probably only need renovation at best. the last games were pretty successful. it'll probably be the cheapest olympics in decades if the chinese do it right.

edit: oh wait - winter games. :der: i guess there'll be less overlap for venues, but even still, why not?

they can just fill those stadiums with snow thats pretty easy.

that old guy with the classical guitar who kicked off the opening ceremony (i think doing the brazilian anthem?) was phenomenal. dem shifting time signatures :drool: anybody know who that was?

that old guy with the classical guitar who kicked off the opening ceremony (i think doing the brazilian anthem?) was phenomenal. dem shifting time signatures :drool: anybody know who that was?

That's Paulinho da Viola, a wonderful musician and national treasure.

Dude. None of our major parties denies science. Sorry.

not that canada is a shining beacon for environmentalism or anything, but it seems a little silly for brazil of all countries to be advocating against deforestation.

That's Paulinho da Viola, a wonderful musician and national treasure.

Back
Top Bottom