Pro Wrestling Thread- Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess the WWE has also fired every single wrestler, writer, and Vince McMahon himself for every racist storyline over the last 40+ years.

That was brought up to WWE. WWE's response was something along the lines of that was scripted satire similar to any other tv show or movie, whereas the Hulkster's comments were not.

I just think firing him and deleting him from their Hall of Fame is completely overboard considering people like Riley Cooper still plays football for the Eagles.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I just think firing him and deleting him from their Hall of Fame is completely overboard considering people like Riley Cooper still plays football for the Eagles.

You've just compared Hulk Hogan (regarded by many as the Babe Ruth of Pro Wrestling) to Riley Cooper. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: In 3 years (if that), no one will care about Riley Cooper whereas Hogan is regarded as arguably the most popular wrestler in the history of the industry. Not to mention a mainstream entertainment icon as well. People who know nothing about pro wrestling know the name Hulk Hogan.

WWE is a publicly traded company and has stockholders to answer to. Their only recourse at the present time was to terminate Hogan.

They could have just suspended him.

Well, one thing about pro wrestling is you never say never. Plenty of performers have been fired by WWE and returned. Hogan included. Right now, WWE wants nothing to do with him, but that could definitely change. WWE can't say he's been suspended indefinitely. That wouldn't satisfy their shareholders, their sponsors, the USA Network and fans who were offended by his statements. Plus termination says that racism won't be tolerated. I wouldn't be surprised if one day he returned though.

Well, one thing about pro wrestling is you never say never. Plenty of performers have been fired by WWE and returned. Hogan included. Right now, WWE wants nothing to do with him, but that could definitely change. WWE can't say he's been suspended indefinitely. That wouldn't satisfy their shareholders, their sponsors, the USA Network and fans who were offended by his statements. Plus termination says that racism won't be tolerated. I wouldn't be surprised if one day he returned though.

They should have him return as a black man. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP Hot Rod. :sad:

Easily the best promo man from the 1980's. Roddy, of course, headlined the very WrestleMania when he and Paul Orndorff faced the team of Hulk and Mr.T in the tag team Main Event. Roddy also had the displeasure of facing Mr.T again the next year at WM 2 in a boxing match. Roddy's best match at WM was when Bret "Hitman" Hart challenged him for his IC title (the only title he ever held in the WWF) at WM 8. Roddy lost, but wrestling fans were the winners that night because that was one of Roddy's best matches ever in the WWF.

Then there were the many episodes of Piper's Pit with the most famous one being when he legit nailed Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka in the head with a coconut. If there was anyone who knew how to draw heel heat, it was Piper. There will never be another one like him.

Last edited:
Guess he's finally all out of bubblegum. :(

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This actually made me laugh. Easily, Roddy's best movie role. He should have done more movies. He certainly had the charisma.

Oh man. That fight scene. So good. And it influenced South Park's cripple fight.

For me his passing is sadder than most wrestling losses over the years because Piper was one of the '80s guys that to me seemed so much larger than life due in part to his charisma and overall character. It' funny, when I started watching in '89 right before Wrestlemania 5 I'd see the WM 5 reports and they'd advertise him coming back and I remember thinking "I kind of know who he is" because I'd catch glimpses of him on tv in the mid '80s. When the wrestling bug bit me my mom told me stories about her, my dad, and her mom, going to the local San Bernardino wrestling arena on Saturday night's in the late '70s and catch guys like Piper, Andre The Giant. Gene Lebelle (who trained Piper) etc, on the Southern Cslifornia wrestling circuit before WWF took over everything by '85.

My dad told me about how obnoxious Piper was and he saw a wrestler get pissed off at Piper over something and he did a move that seemed like a shoot move (as we'd describe it today) where he stomped Piper's throat and Piper ended up puking in the ring. The San Bernardino arena was kind of legendary for the time, and when I was able to finally watch Piper's 1987 movie "Body Slam" it was actually kind of awesome to see the scenes in the movie shot at the San Bernardino arena. It must have been suggested by Piper as a nod to the area and maybe those days. My mom says Piper was hilarious and charming when he wasn't playing the heel and told a story about when she'd go backstage to meet the wrestlers and Piper asked her out on a date. Of course my dad was there...

Awesome story, david! :up: Thanks for sharing! Tonight on Raw, WWE did a 10 bell salute and then featured a cool montage of Roddy's career. I was fortunate to have been watching the WWF when he first entered the company. I vaguely remember watching Body Slam years ago, but I was always a sucker for movies that featured pro wrestling and/or pro wrestlers.

"Fun" fact - this means that the earliest Wrestlemania card you can go back to and find a card where everyone is still alive is Wrestlemania 26.

...don't get into wrestling.

In the last few years, WWE has done what they could to make wrestling safer. Utilizing a Wellness policy to monitor a person's health and drug use is one step. Also eliminating chairshots to the head, blading, and dangerous maneuvers are other examples of their efforts. You still have to be a little bit crazy to get involved with it in the first place, but that's just the nature of the industry. :wink:

Roddy Piper and Dusty Rhodes were in their 60's when they passed away and jammed a lot of living into those years. Hopefully the days of wrestlers passing away while still in the prime of their lives is a thing of the past.

I think the only thing left for the industry to still consider is the amount of days needed by wrestlers to be on the road. There is no off season.

I think the only thing left for the industry to still consider is the amount of days needed by wrestlers to be on the road. There is no off season.

That is true. Plus, McMahon isn't exactly keen on unions for the wrestlers. He refers to the WWE Superstars/Divas as "independent contractors". The people that work in the WWE offices have better insurance than the wrestlers. Usually, if a wrestler needs time off though, WWE will give it to them. But, that isn't always the case. (see Punk, CM :wink:)

There was a NPR article about wrestling becoming mainstream again. I kind of thought it was sort of still big over the course of the past 15 years? I know it was huge in the late '90s, but it kind of still has been big since.

Stewart cost Cena the US title in his match against Rollins. Taker made Lesnar tap out. Both matches had screwjob endings, but sometimes that happens in pro wrestling. Of course, those wacky internet wrestling fans got their panties in a bunch with those outcomes.

We haven't had any wrestling news in a while. Unfortunately, this latest news is a little sad. Last night, in a match against Kane in Dublin, Ireland, WWE World Heavyweight Champion, Seth Rollins, injured his ACL, MCL, and medial meniscus on his knee. He will be out for 6-9 months and miss WrestleMania 32. WWE has vacated the championship and a tournament will be held in 2 weeks at Survivor Series 2015 to crown a new champion.

Rollins won the championship by cashing in his Money in the Bank briefcase at WrestleMania 31 during the Brock Lesnar/Roman Reigns WWE World Heavyweight Championship match and pinning Reigns to win the title. Lesnar walked into the match as champion.

With both Randy Orton and John Cena on hiatus, this opens up the possibility for some new blood on the championship throne.

Haha, I just noticed my mom uploaded this on Halloween.

wqsxvk.jpg

I chose that costume in such a brief moment of time that it was relevant.

Hey, the nWo Wolfpac was actually a cool faction. You can't go wrong with the Stinger. Too bad WCW drove the nWo gimmick into the ground. It was one of the many reasons WCW died.

Back
Top Bottom