Penn State Child Molestation Scandal...continuing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quoting Schad from Twitter "If loss of bowls and or scholarships are significant enough it will be debated if punishment is harsher than one-year suspension of program"

Precisely my previous argument. You can slam them worse w/o using the death penalty.

i can't believe fragments of the penalty haven't leaked yet.

i thought about this for 45 minutes while i was swimming.

could the NCAA say "no big-10 bowl revenue" too? so not only do they not get any from their suspension, but they don't get any from the other schools? not sure what their cut from two BCS games (plus the other bowls).

could they stretch the bowl-ban to 8 years, basically two full classes.

NCAA president Mark Emmert has decided to punish Penn State with severe penalties likely to include a significant loss of scholarships and loss of multiple bowls, a source close to the decision told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday morning.

But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Just football... and if you believe something like this can only happen in America, yea... sure.

Don't get narky. I wasn't bagging.

If it's just one active sexual deviant and one esteemed figure who refused to accept it and alert authorities, surely killing off the entire football department is a bit extreme? Just clear out the entire executive and coaching team and refresh the club?

intedomine said:
Don't get narky. I wasn't bagging.

If it's just one active sexual deviant and one esteemed figure who refused to accept it and alert authorities, surely killing off the entire football department is a bit extreme? Just clear out the entire executive and coaching team and refresh the club?

I think you're underselling a minimum of 15 years (probably longer) of enabling child rape just a tad...

I think as far as this would change the culture there, like the NCAA said-basically the completely warped values that allowed them to think that all of that was justifiable. You can't get any more warped than placing sports and money above the safety of children. As far as it can accomplish that, I think it's the right way to go. If you just take away the sports and then the culture goes back to just what it was, what good is that? Ultimately it's up to the college and the students to change the culture, but they do have to comply with all these penalties.

I went to a high school, not a college, where sports were placed above all. And I have no doubt in my mind that a Penn State scenario could have happened there. Of course back then sexual abuse was much more of a secret. But that's not the main reason it would have happened.

USC was banned from post season play for two years, and had a similar scholarship elimination as well. next year will be their first season back eligible for post-season play.

they are expected to be #1 in the nation when the first pre-season polling comes out... at the very least a lock for top 5... and also have the likely #1 draft pick in next year's NFL draft at quarterback. and sold a shit load of tickets in those two years, and made a shit load of money.

now of course USC doesn't have the stigma of being associated with child rape. and they won't have an avalanche of crippling civil lawsuits heading their way. so when you combine all those factors, penn state has a long way to go. but certainly not as far as they'd have had to climb if they had a 2 year ban of their football program.

it seems as if the NCAA is hoping that they will die off from the combined beatings, rather than finish the job themselves.

Exactly. USC was able to weather the storm by essentially separating out the punishment. 2 years with full recruiting classes but no bowl. A very strong underclass that for the most part stayed with the program. And now using the scholarship limitations to get the top kids they want and having more walk-ons to address depth. Lastly, this is only possible because of the natural recruiting advantages of being in Los Angeles and having our big rival not really a factor.

Penn State is a whole other issue. They will not be able to separate the punishments out and they are going to 65 instead of 75. They are toast for the better part of the next decade or more.

"20 total/10 annual scholarship reduction for 4 yrs"

So they are going -20 for 4 years?

I was close

Except for the TV punishment, which will probably never happen again. And the road games, which won't either.

31covv12promo.jpg

"A de facto death penalty," David Price, the former longtime NCAA enforcement head, told USA TODAY Sports.
Former Miami coach Jimmy Johnson tweeted that Penn State will be "no better than [Division] 2 for many years." ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit said a decade will pass before the Nittany Lions could be competitive. And former Penn State standout Kyle Brady said his alma mater will be an irrelevant program for most of his 7-year-old son's teenage years.

please, think of the children

think how this will affect Kyle Brady's 7 year old son.

I had been in favor of the football program being shut down for at least a year, but I think the penalties handed down today are probably acceptable punishment. What I don't find acceptable though is the reason the NCAA gave for not going with the 'death penalty'. Emmert said that shutting down the program would hurt too many innocent people. Basically, the NCAA seems to feel that Penn State football is too important to the community, economically as well as socially, to be shut down for even a season. Isn't that the exact same attitude that allowed Sandusky to roam free for over a decade?

On another note, I can understand that the Paterno family feels the need to come to Joe's defense, but the statement they put out today (on top of the statement they put out yesterday) was kind of appalling. This is not the time to be publicly worrying about how much these sanctions are going to hurt poor Joe's legacy. And to bitch about the NCAA not coming to them first? Really? I know that for decades everything related to Penn State football (and probably many things not related to football) went through Joe first, but how can his family not understand that those days are over?

Hahahahahaha sorry, in the second pic that chick, the third from the right...great expression. Her eyes crossed in jubilation.

I don't get why they're all so horrified, as if they had no idea there was ever a scandal in the first place, or what an internet is. They seem to be discovering what molestation is in those pics.

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. There was nothing that shocking about the announcement this morning.

Maybe if they had imposed the death penalty, I could see a reaction like that.

Chick with sunglasses on her head in the first pic is hot.

On another note, I can understand that the Paterno family feels the need to come to Joe's defense, but the statement they put out today (on top of the statement they put out yesterday) was kind of appalling. This is not the time to be publicly worrying about how much these sanctions are going to hurt poor Joe's legacy. And to bitch about the NCAA not coming to them first? Really? I know that for decades everything related to Penn State football (and probably many things not related to football) went through Joe first, but how can his family not understand that those days are over?

I think the Paterno family IS appalling. Arrogance and sense of entitlement fostered by Penn State perhaps? That they would actually say that the NCAA has to come to them? Unbelievable. They've had their butts kissed so much by Penn State that I think they've lost all sense of reality. Even if they feel the need to defend his "legacy", it's not about that at this point and it never was. He tarnished his own legacy, so it's time for his family to just quietly accept that and stop making contrary, self serving public statements that do nothing but rub salt in the victims' wounds.

Penn State Scandal: My Statement To The Paterno Family - Houston News - Hair Balls

Shut the fuck up. Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Unless you have something of substance to add to the allegations against Jerry Sandusky or have a fat six figure check you wish to donate to a charity helping the victims of child sexual abuse heal, nobody gives a rat's ass what you think about the removal of your father's statue, the removal of scholarships from Penn State's program, or the removal of dog shit from your front yard.

Perhaps this is why the NCAA didn't seek any "input from [your] family" -- they didn't want it, they didn't need it. Seriously, what color is the sky in your world, Paterno family? I realize that you've gone through virtually your entire lives with the keys to State College in your back pocket, but in the real world, when one of us fucks up, they don't ask our loved ones their opinion on our punishment. There's no consensus building going on. Authority figures mete out punishment, and then you accept it like a man. I realize that you're just now learning what these strange beings called "authority figures" are, since your dad basically ran things in that navy blue cocoon you've all been living in, but to be clear, these authority figures -- THEY establish the rules, THEY enforce the rules. You follow them.

Your dad, Jerry Sandusky, Graham Spanier, Bill Curley, Gary Schultz. They broke the rules. Now, they pay. And they're bringing a whole lot of innocent people with them, too. And yet you're the ones who can't get to a keyboard fast enough to start banging out these ridiculous proclamations every time you feel wronged? Your arrogance is galling.

You lament that your father was never interviewed by the University or the Freeh Group, to which I say, be glad he wasn't. History tells us he would have just lied, more and more lies, and bathed himself in more perjury. It's what he did when he met with the grand jury in 2011. Why would this time have been any different?

I notice, by the way, that you call your dad a "great coach and educator" in this latest chapter of Paterno Family Statements. I seem to remember the wall behind the statue saying "COACH, EDUCATOR, HUMANITARIAN." Thank you for leaving "humanitarian" out of your latest statement. It was that statement's only redeeming quality.

Speaking of which, how about that statue, huh? Quite a scene watching that thing get carted off by those construction workers with a sheet over its head, almost like they were taking Statue JoePa to a secluded area to waterboard him and find out what he really knows about Sandusky. The realism was striking, right down to the statue maintaining its "number one finger" pose. I mean, say what you will about the authenticity of the statue's looks, but to me the statue's having self awareness identical to that of the real Joe Paterno is its defining trait.

I'm hoping they send the statue to jail, perhaps to share a cell with Sandusky. Or Sandusky's rectum.

By the way, how is your investigation into the documentation compiled by Louis Freeh coming along? Are you unearthing any new nuggets of information? Have you found the magic crystal that miraculously exonerates your dad from any culpability in this case? Or the mystical goblet that somehow reverses time back to 1998 (or whenever it was that the old man first learned that Jerry Sandusky took sadistic pleasure in raping young boys) and gives him the clarity to think that perhaps protecting his football program wasn't the end all and be all?

Me, I picture your "investigation" consisting of big, fat Scott Paterno sitting at his mom Sue's kitchen table thumbing through a huge pile of printed emails, getting winded after the first five or six, and then screaming at Sue to bring him some more double chocolate chip cookies and a towel to mop up his pit sweat. And then after like ten minutes, he says "Fuck it," plops down on the couch, and turns on one of the 50 episodes of Man vs Food he has saved on VHS tape.

Your investigation is for shit. Your family statements are for shit.

Oh, and one other thing. Stop calling your father by his first name. It sounds creepy when the sons are calling the dad "Joe" or "Coach" in interviews and social settings. That's fucked up. Stop doing it.

Also, I hope Nebraska kicks the shit out of you this year.

Go away, assholes. Now.

Love, Sean

3165000480_f93ea75381_o.gif

Zootomic said:
I had been in favor of the football program being shut down for at least a year, but I think the penalties handed down today are probably acceptable punishment. What I don't find acceptable though is the reason the NCAA gave for not going with the 'death penalty'. Emmert said that shutting down the program would hurt too many innocent people. Basically, the NCAA seems to feel that Penn State football is too important to the community, economically as well as socially, to be shut down for even a season. Isn't that the exact same attitude that allowed Sandusky to roam free for over a decade?

EXACTLY.

The fear of hurting the program, the image, the influence on the community... all things that made a bunch of reasonably good guys turn a blind eye to horrific acts.

What disgusts me more than anything is that they continued to support the Second Mile, when it had to be so abundantly clear to them that Sandusky was more or less using it as his own sick version of Match.com.

These penalties will hurt... but not because they're so incredibly harsh. Rather because they're connected to child rape.

The loss of scholarships is easily overcome. The fines and financial hit of the no bowl games and no big ten money can be overcome by a large endowment and an incredibly committed alumnus who believe in their own twisted minds that somehow Penn State and JoePa are the ones who got screwed. The sting of the 4 year ban on recruiting will lessen after 2 years... and trust me, a TON of kids today care more about going to a program that will help "get them to the next level" than they do about the NCAA post season... especially in football, where the post season is a joke.

What will be crushing to Penn State are the penalties the NCAA handed down combined with the stigma of being associated with child rape, the loss of advertising money that we're already staring to see, the loss of TV revenue, the loss of general enrollment, and what will prove to be a staggering amount of civil law suits that will not only have a devastating effect on the athletic department, but also the school as a whole, the surrounding community, and even the state and ultimately the tax payers of Pennsylvania. After all... is a publicly funded school.

Many estimates place the total loss in excess of half a billion dollars.

And I still think they should have been flat out shut down for 2 years.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Vacated wins don't give the other team the win. Nice try :wink:

Ha! I know UofA doesn't get the W.
I'm just glad their W comes off their record.

I think the L comes off Arizona's books too.

Back
Top Bottom