Penn State Child Molestation Scandal...continuing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, the kids in that program have put in a lot of time and work and shouldn't be punished for what the administration failed to do.

Of course, one could argue that canceling the season would maybe make everyone think a little harder about the (lack of) importance of athletics w/r/t education.

Danny Boy said:
I'm pretty sure if you were working on a Saturday, saw a senior VP anally raping a 10-year-boy in the bathroom, and reported it to the CEO, he would follow up on it.

This is why I don't work weekends.

PhilsFan said:
Are you arguing with me? I'm just telling you what he said because you had it slightly wrong.

Not arguing with you.

He claims that he was told something else. McQuery claims he told him more, and also told others.

All Im saying is its a very thin distinction, and at the end of the day sexual assault is sexual assault. Reading your other posts we probably see this in much the same light esp the assurances part.

To me, McQuery is the one that disturbs me the most. The whole fast-track thing...he knows that's why he's in the position he's in today. I don't know how you could handle something like that.

Be proud that you are one of the PSU community members being a thoughtful analyst of the situation rather than a bloody reactionary.

I'm late to this discussion, but this * 1000. It's really important that the PSU students and affiliates who possess a measure of moral clarity speak up.

The question of "why?" is irrelevant to someone who has been part of an institution for 60 years, and it's certainly not safe to load that question with the assumption that he's only benefited the athletic program. He's done a whole lot of shit for PSU unrelated to football by this point. iYup may be aware of this, but his argument doesn't allow any concessions for it.

I would have to disagree respectfully with you that the question of “why” is irrelevant, LM. I will admit that I feel strongly about this issue, as I see major college sports as a blight on higher education. In the short term, dangerous binge-drinking and crime spike during and immediately after games; in the long term, schools are diverting sorely-needed money from talented graduate students and professors in order to recruit some quarterback who will probably struggle to maintain a 2.0 GPA and has only a diminutive chance to play professionally. Penn State has had several Nobel Prize laureates, but I defy anyone to name one of them off the top of your head. Yet we all know and have known Paterno for many years. In an environment in which US higher education and economy are increasingly seen as laughing stocks around the world, it is more important than ever that we question why we value athletes and coaches so much more than other university figures. The former may be fun to watch from the couch on Saturday, but they are also negatively affecting the world in which we try to earn a living.

I do understand that Paterno is an institution at Penn State, but I have yet to hear any details on what he has contributed to that community beyond football and lumbering around campus for fifty-odd years. Just being an old man shouldn’t make him above reproach.

tumblr_lufjslmYOH1r0w48jo1_500.jpg

Pretty much.

And what's this about a DA disappearing a few years ago, and he had some connection to all of this? Ray Gricar? I was reading a friend's comments about the case today, so I just have her description of the story.

I don't get how it's ok not to call the police when you see a violent crime occurring -- I don't give a fuck what the company policy is. Violent crimes -- and sexual assault is a violent crime -- should never be handled "in house".

Pretty much.

And what's this about a DA disappearing a few years ago, and he had some connection to all of this? Ray Gricar? I was reading a friend's comments about the case today, so I just have her description of the story.
The DA who investigated in 1998 and decided not to prosecute has been missing since 2005. They found his car in a parking lot and then his laptop in the Susquehanna River, with the hard drive ripped out. They found the hard drive a month later, destroyed beyond recognition.

The last thing he searched for on his computer? "How to destroy a hard drive."

PhilsFan said:
The DA who investigated in 1998 and decided not to prosecute has been missing since 2005. They found his car in a parking lot and then his laptop in the Susquehanna River, with the hard drive ripped out. They found the hard drive a month later, destroyed beyond recognition.

Woah. Thats like an episode of CSI or something

I've known about Gricar's story almost since I got up here. That's not just coming up because of this. It's always kind of there. That and the Murder in the Stacks are two huge stories here to this day.

:|

University officials. Should be posted soon on the official website.

I can believe it. Co-workers at my station have received threats as early as yesterday before Paterno got fired.

Why on earth are people at the radio station receiving threats?

So is he out, or just out this week?

Out for this Saturday. I imagine he's going to get the axe at one up the upcoming BOT meetings, though. My guess was tomorrow, though this gives them some time.

They're going to axe Curley eventually as well, though he's still on the payroll (as is his and Schultz's attorneys).

As for your first question, simply because of people tweeting about it. It's surreal. Between things like that and the WBC coming here, I can understand why a lot feel like it's us against the world, even though I don't agree with it.

So, where's the child rapist through all of this? I understand he retired some years ago. Does he still live around there?

Am I understanding correctly that this document that lays all this out was done with the intent of going after him with the charges?

Back
Top Bottom