Penn State Child Molestation Scandal...continuing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because the general thought from those outside of Happy Valley is that the culture and insulation of the Penn State community as a whole is partially to blame for this scope of this tragedy.

Yeah that was my thought too, but I doubted I could say that without appearing insulting...my read is that it doesn't necessarily have to be a good thing for Sandusky's defense in order for it to be a horrible thing for the prosecution...this is (potentially) the same set of people that rioted in blindingly illogical support of Joe Paterno, so...

Actually, yes, it POTENTIALLY is.

Can you absolutely say that none of the jurors picked have any past affiliation with either Sandusky, Joe Paterno or anyone else involved, and do not privately hold sympathetic views towards any of the players in this mess? Or, because of their affiliation, see this entire thing as a black mark on their beloved institution that they wish would just go away? No, you can't.

Neither can I say with any certainty that they none of them have been themselves sexually abused as children by a sports coach (much less one connected to Penn State somehow), which factoid, if disclosed, would likely cause the defense to request that person to be excused.

Besides, wasn't it alumni of Penn State that initiated a defense fund for Sandusky? :huh: :nice:

But from a more objective legal standpoint, ie in the interest of a fair trial both ways: there are so many differing opinions amongst the current and former students of Penn State, and likely few, if any of them, could be considered unaffected by a personal bias surrounding Penn State, it's administrators, or coaches past. Therefore the trial should be moved to a more neutral locale. It's not good for either the prosecution OR the defense, really.

I don't think there's anywhere in the country where you could get a fair trial. It's been too high profile. Should it be out of county? Sure it should. But I think he'll be guilty no matter where it happens unless, again, the prosecution blows it.

Sounds like he's not going to be going to jail for very long. The overall case is too reliant on eyewitnesses, as is the case with most trials like this. With the credibility of some eroded, this could end with him doing very little time.

Which still has jackshit to do with how connected the jury is to Penn State.

Guilty on 45/48 counts, no bail while he awaits future sentencing.

Apparently the most serious charge in the incident to which Mike McQueary testified was rejected. What a toolbox.

So the incident that McQueary witnessed? Were they never able to identify the victim or did he just not want to testify?

There were multiple charges regarding that victim, some of which were ruled guilty. At least one guilty verdict was reached with each victim. I think McQueary had enough wobbles in his testimony regarding what he saw and what he said when that some of the charges were cleared though. I think Victim 2 was never identified.

There were multiple charges regarding that victim, some of which were ruled guilty. At least one guilty verdict was reached with each victim. I think McQueary had enough wobbles in his testimony regarding what he saw and what he said when that some of the charges were cleared though. I'm not sure if the victim himself testified or not.

In the end the only difference is that Sandusky will be out of prison when he's 510 yrs old instead of 545 yrs old.

(who am I kidding, he probably doesn't survive 2012, one carton of smokes will be all it takes)

can they put his wife in jail, too.

It's plausible that his wife never heard of any specific claims of sexual assault until they came out in public (dunno about Matt Sandusky). Plausible, but how probable is unclear.

The other people who really need to hang are the ADs, VP and president.

Curley (AD) and Schultz (VP) are awaiting trial for perjury, and Spanier (president) will likely be charged soon now that the university has handed over his emails, where he called it "humane" to deal with Sandusky outside of the law enforcement.

Details are coming out now. Looks like it was a massive cover up by JoePa and the other school officials. Wanted to keep it secret to save publicity.

What a fucking joke he is. Too bad he's not alive to face the critics

What are the ramifications for Penn St. athletics, though?

Is there a chance that the football program can receive the "death penalty" or other consequences?

I have to admit, I've probably been a bit naive about some of this stuff. I guess I just figured that, after Sandusky's sentencing, the athletic programs at Penn St. would be able to move forward and get the chance to start again. Now I don't know. I guess I'm just a bit confused on all of this legal procedure.

I like to root against Penn St., but I certainly don't want their football program stripped away. I fucking love the Big Ten, and Penn St. football is good for the Big Ten, so there you go.

Back
Top Bottom