Official Cricket Thread Part 302

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Also known as the Kane Williamson Appreciation Society.

Continue.

I was tempted to make it Part 290 but the Part 302 opportunity was there. Has such a good ring to it.

We need some crazy feat of bowling to happen just in time for the next thread.

Invaluable.

Now let's get Warner. His is the prize scalp.

This is totally fucking wrecking my productivity and I have a really tight deadline to meet this week. Thanks guys.

Khawaja apparently will bat.

I don't see how this game won't end in a draw. It will take something really exceptional for either side to win.

Australia declare at lunch, New Zealand try but lose wickets and can't score fast enough and it's a draw.

Yep, confirmed. Doubt any of us are going to forget his breathtaking bowling in the 2013-14 Ashes.

Was written all over his body when he was bowling on day three. A bit sad to see but at least he goes out on his own terms. At his worst, he cut a hollow figure. Earlier on he'd bowl short and wide and batsmen would just smash him through the covers. Later he just couldn't keep a consistent line and length. He'd go for five, five-and-a-half an over.

But when he was at his best, phwoarrrr. He was lethal, unstoppable. Scariest bowler in the world to face, anecdotally. He also bowled on confidence. If he got a few runs with the bat or an early wicket he'd find an extra yard of pace, or a bit of swing. Will never, ever forget the good times.

Smith dismissed. His quotes this morning make it sound like he's playing for the draw. New Zealand need a lot more wickets in a mighty hurry to have any hope of a win really.

Oh come on Smith, just hurry up and declare so that we can make a game of this.

There's no point to even having NZ bat now. Just call stumps on the draw.

Righto, New Zealand need 321 off 48 overs. Come on Baz, get out there to open with Guptill and have a swing. I really hope we go for this and make a right game of it.

Pretty good bowling by Southee today too.

That's a nice Tom Latham disguise you're wearing, BMac.

Oh, wait, that is Latham? Damn.

The most Pakistani innings to ever Pakistani tonight. Solid start followed by an insane middle-order collapse full of awful, disgusting run-outs and unnecessary slogs to the onside. Then Wahab Riaz had a 21-run partnership with Mohammad Irfan for the last wicket, all 21 scored by Wahab, including some great sixes. The final over went as follows -

49.1 - Wahab smacks a six over mid-off
49.2 - Given out LBW, reviews immediately, has smashed it into his pads, overturned
49.3 - Given out LBW, reviews after a few seconds, missing leg stump, overturned
49.4 - a dig/flick shot to square leg, gets a single
49.5 - Irfan bowled

It was hilarious :lmao:

Justin Langer calls for an end to Test draws

I can't agree with this. One of the distinctive aspects of cricket is that a draw is significant - and that it is not the same as a tie. Yes there are some fizzers that end in a tame draw, but I've seen some pretty fucking tame games reach a result too. Are you all looking forward to Australia notching up one dull victory after another over the Windies? You won't abolish dull outcomes by getting rid of the draw.

And sure, I hang shit on soccer for being a sport where you can play for ninety minutes and end in a scoreless draw, but of course the difference in cricket is that there is a lot of scoring done to achieve a draw.

Adelaide 2012 will always be my reasoning for arguing against that. That is one of the best Test matches I have ever seen.

Session three, day two in Nagpur: India 215 and 173. South Africa 79.

So... tomorrow is one year since Phil Hughes passed.

Time has flown, yet so much has happened in the cricket world. It will never be the same again, and I think about it every time I play myself. I find myself watching this haunting tribute from Richie almost weekly since Richie himself left us. Such a sad 12 months for the sport.

Back
Top Bottom