NHL Thread - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #681
The Fly

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
So now the greatest fans in the world, the St Louis fans, count Kansas City as part of St Louis?

Chicago counts, Gary, southbend, Rockford, Joliet, parts of Michigan, Indiana etc.

Boston pulls, Maine, Mass, Vermont, RI, New Hampshire, Conn = 5 states

and I said Missouri,

Magnus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #682
The Fly

Quote:
https://medium.com/the-cities-tribun...m-99707d7c2713

Top cities sending current players to the NHL....top 10 has 2 US cities, Minn/St Paul and Boston. (Plus "Detroit, ON" which I assume is a hodgepodge of US and Canadian players from the Detroit and Windsor areas.)

For cities with an NHL franchise, St Louis ranks 14th in players produced.
But # 1 in First rounders' (2016) we may produce less over all, but we produce some damn good ones.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #683
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Maximus View Post
Chicago counts, Gary, southbend, Rockford, Joliet, parts of Michigan, Indiana etc.

Boston pulls, Maine, Mass, Vermont, RI, New Hampshire, Conn = 5 states

and I said Missouri,

Sorry but Chicago fans are fans of Chicago teams.

Boston “pulls” those areas because Boston is small and unabatedly represents New England.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #684
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
There's a confluence of factors that could make St Louis a hockey hub in the years to come, but my joking post was a poke at the city's allegiances more than a claim that there are no knowledgeable fans in the whole city. Obviously there are many loyal fans who stuck out an extraordinary championship drought.
No worries Brother, I work in Chicago a couple times a month, I start every meeting with how bout them Cards, or How bout them Blues (depending on the time of year). So trust me I live the rivalry. Trust me the response I get is chilly but it's a good opener. Question though where have all the White Sox fans gone, have the Cubs just sucked all the baseball oxygen out of the city?

I do enjoy Bears games however, Soldier field has an awesome vibe and a great venue (I never got into the Rams, they were a move in a leased team, I am a Chiefs Fan, I grew up in the middle of the State), and it is a blast watching Cubs Cards at Wrigley or Busch II.

I have been a lifelong Blues and Cardinals fans, they are first in my heart. Its been an awesome year for my Blues and hell the Cards are only 3.5 out despite playing poorly, maybe the Blues will inspire them.

An aside it was awesome watching U2 play at the Kiel (enterprise center) last May. I think they gave the Blues some good Mojo)

I actually blame Ozzy Osbourne for the curse he was arrested in the 80's wearing a blues sweater.

Peace brothers, no more poking fun
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #685
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But # 1 in First rounders' (2016) we may produce less over all, but we produce some damn good ones.

If you’re genuinely trying to make a point about NHLers being produced out of St. Louis being notable, you’re crazy.

Mass, Minnesota, Michigan, and upstate New York are hands down the greatest producers. That’s not discrediting St. Louis as a good hockey city, but Missouri and the accompanying region takes backseats to many other regions in the US.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #686
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Sorry but Chicago fans are fans of Chicago teams.

Boston “pulls” those areas because Boston is small and unabatedly represents New England.
and STL is only about 350,000 (the City), Boston os what between 650-700,000 being from Missouri we support all our teams. In all reality if it was just STL they wouldn't have the resources or the Oxygen to support multiple Major League Franchises.

It will be interesting when STL gets its MLS team in 21. KC is also making a play for an NHL team, they have great facilities and could support an NHL or NBA franchise (its just that basketball as a whole isn't popular in MO, not even at the HS level, where Football, Wrestling, Soccer and Hockey pull more kids and KU is so good and 20 minutes from KC why would someone see a lesser tier NBA team when they go to KU games)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #687
The Fly

Quote:
If you’re genuinely trying to make a point about NHLers being produced out of St. Louis being notable, you’re crazy.

Mass, Minnesota, Michigan, and upstate New York are hands down the greatest producers. That’s not discrediting St. Louis as a good hockey city, but Missouri and the accompanying region takes backseats to many other regions in the US.
Just saying almost half of the US born first rounders' in the 16 draft came from STL that's a fact.

and Brady Tkachuck taking 4th over all last year doesn't' count he grew up in STL and played for Chiminade as well as his Brother.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #688
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
and STL is only about 350,000 (the City), Boston os what between 650-700,000 being from Missouri we support all our teams. In all reality if it was just STL they wouldn't have the resources or the Oxygen to support multiple Major League Franchises.

It will be interesting when STL gets its MLS team in 21. KC is also making a play for an NHL team, they have great facilities and could support an NHL or NBA franchise (its just that basketball as a whole isn't popular in MO, not even at the HS level, where Football, Wrestling, Soccer and Hockey pull more kids and KU is so good and 20 minutes from KC why would someone see a lesser tier NBA team when they go to KU games)

What’s a Major League Franchise? So proper :0

You missed the point though. Boston is small but has no competition. St. Louis exists in a region where multiple markets overlap. I’m not really following your population comparison though. Chicago fans aren’t traditionally St. Louis fans. They’re Chicago fans. Might have some fans in Chicago, but it’s not like... a battleground market. They’re Chicago fans.

Quote:
Just saying almost half of the US born first rounders' in the 16 draft came from STL that's a fact.

and Brady Tkachuck taking 4th over all last year doesn't' count he grew up in STL and played for Chiminade as well as his Brother.

I mean OK... that’s true. What’s your point? 2016 was definitely a year starting to show the echo of where former hockey folk have sprouted their families up. Most of those players as youths opted for CHL juniors or joined USNDT, which is predominantly in Michigan. So, sure, Keith Tkachuck’s kids are good at hockey. Where’s Keith from? Massachusetts. Where did Keith do his major-junior equivalent in the US? A Massachusetts high school. Where did he do development thereafter? BU. Matthew Tkachuck is as much from St. Louis as Jakob Chychrun is a Floridian. Early years? Sure. But folks like him or Tkachuck entered the NHL via the CHL major junior system, USNDT, or the NCAA system. Hockey development in places like Arizona, St. Louis, Florida, etc. etc. is growing, but it still has a long way to go before it is comparable to the hockey hives of the US.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #689
The Fly

Quote:
What’s a Major League Franchise? So proper :0

You missed the point though. Boston is small but has no competition. St. Louis exists in a region where multiple markets overlap. I’m not really following your population comparison though. Chicago fans aren’t traditionally St. Louis fans. They’re Chicago fans. Might have some fans in Chicago, but it’s not like... a battleground market. They’re Chicago fans.

I mean OK... that’s true. What’s your point? 2016 was definitely a year starting to show the echo of where former hockey folk have sprouted their families up. Most of those players as youths opted for CHL juniors or joined USNDT, which is predominantly in Michigan. So, sure, Keith Tkachuck’s kids are good at hockey. Where’s Keith from? Massachusetts. Where did Keith do his major-junior equivalent in the US? A Massachusetts high school. Where did he do development thereafter? BU. Matthew Tkachuck is as much from St. Louis as Jakob Chychrun is a Floridian. Early years? Sure. But folks like him or Tkachuck entered the NHL via the CHL major junior system, USNDT, or the NCAA system. Hockey development in places like Arizona, St. Louis, Florida, etc. etc. is growing, but it still has a long way to go before it is comparable to the hockey hives of the US.
I believe Keith is Canadian orginally

Pretty sure the Tkachucks (kids) went to HS in St Louis (Chaminade HS) and played for the Blues AAA developmental program.

"After playing for the St. Louis AAA Blues U16 and committing to the USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USNDPT), Tkachuk agreed to play for Boston University

Both Tkachuk brothers attended Chaminade College Preparatory School

even if you take out the Tkachucks from the 16 draft, that makes ST Louis 4 out of 11 of American born players taken first round.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #690
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah you just cherry picked one year to suit your argument. Not exactly accurate polling data.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #691
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Tkachuk

Quote:
Tkachuk, from East Boston originally, was born at the Melrose/Wakefield Hospital in Melrose, Massachusetts, and played high school hockey at Malden Catholic High School in Malden, Massachusetts.[3] Tkachuk played one season of collegiate hockey at Boston University,
Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #692
The Fly

Quote:
Sorry its wife who is Canadian - I was referring to the kids origin

But where did he settle down the STL
Old 06-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #693
The Fly

Quote:
Yeah you just cherry picked one year to suit your argument. Not exactly accurate polling data.
Whatever, the point is has any US city had half the first rounders'?

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #694
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Whatever, the point is has any US city had half the first rounders'?

'.
Certainly not St Louis. Unless 6 out of 31 is half in the new math.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #695
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Sounds to me like you’re mistaking Keith Tkachuck for Brett Hull.

Quote:
Pretty sure the Tkachucks (kids) went to HS in St Louis (Chaminade HS) and played for the Blues AAA developmental program.
Yes, they’re from St. Louis. This we are not denying. They played freaking peewee hockey with the Blues program, much like my comments about Jakob Chychrun and Shayne Gostisbehere in Florida. All of these players left their programs to join either the CHL major junior system, the USNDT, or the NCAA.

What’s annoying is I didn’t deny this but you’re just Wikipedia’ing facts.

You made some comment about taking the Tkachucks out of the draft... my point was about almost every Missouri born or raised player.

Unlike in Mass. and in Minnesota, players are not going to play directly for their high school teams and get drafted. Great example: Nick Bjugstad actually turned down USNDT and didn’t go OHL, and was still Minnesota’s Mr. Hockey and was drafted in the 1st round. Hockey development is deep seeded in Minnesota and does not require a national level supplementation, similarly to how football development is deep seeded in Florida and Georgia.

St. Louis had an anomaly year, aided by echoes of NHL talent/former Blues offspring.

This isn’t a poor look at St. Louis hockey. Clearly it did well for the aforementioned reasons. But to think St. Louis is now somehow stands up to the Canadian USA is silly.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #696
The Fly

Quote:
Certainly not St Louis. Unless 6 out of 31 is half in the new math.
Hold on kids reading is fun!!!!

If you bothered to read any of my posts, and comprehended them, you would see that I mentioned several times it was out of the 12 American born players- 5 were from the STL. So please understand the use of context.

Sorry you struggle with reading comprehension. It must be painful for you
Old 06-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #697
Blue Crack Addict

I read them and comprehended them and replied and you failed to read and comprehend my posts in return. So you’re even.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #698
The Fly

Now on the USNDT, those comments are plain silly, so my daughter played for the soccer OPD program, does that make her from Colorado Springs, or J den Cox wrestled for the US national team, does that make him from CS, no it makes him from Columbia MO. What about Spencer mango who wrestled for the Greco OPD that's in Michigan as well, does that make him from Michigan no he still is from STL.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #699
The Fly

If you understood how the national teams are developed in various sports they have centralized locations, it doesn't make you from there. From National training sites in Michigan, Colorado, etc, etc
Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #700
The Fly

Quote:
I read them and comprehended them and replied and you failed to read and comprehend my posts in return. So you’re even.
are you Hewson as well? Or do you just answer for him.