NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are currently sitting in the third spot in the Atlantic.

I am not sure how it played out last year, but for YEARS, the standings at US Thanksgiving has been a fairly good indication of what you will have in mid-April.

Not sure if that will hold up at this point seeing the parity in the league, but wanted to put it out there.

REMEMBER THE BLUES LAST YEAR-- How soon we forgot

LETS GO BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the leafs aren't making the playoffs unless this coaching change did something radical. the panelists on sportscentre laid it out on the weekend. it took 93 points to finish 8th and make the playoffs last year in the eastern conference. if that same number of points is required this year, the leafs will need to play something like .640 hockey for the entire rest of the season (and this was before they lost on tuesday), but since last christmas they've been just barely over .500.

it could happen, but it'll be very tough and only if this new coach is as good as people are saying he has the potential to be. not sending the fourth line out every single time your team scores might be a start.

happy that it looks so far like i'm gonna be wrong on this one - the leaes are only 2 points out of the second wild card and virtually tied with florida for third in the division. it'll be quite the turnaround if they manage to pull this off and make it into the postseason. it certainly shows the importance of coaching in hockey.

Looks like a fine choice to me.

Yeah but THE best game of the DECADE? Really?

A first round game 7 where honestly looking back at it, Toronto did not have any business drawing it out to 7 games (let alone making it to the playoffs in the first place)?

Really?

There were no bigger games?

I realize as a Leafs fan I am particularly triggered by this (I still get PTSD flashbacks thinking about that game) but this screams troll job to me.

yeah game 7 of the 2011 finals or game 7 of last year's finals were bigger games essentially by definition. it makes no sense why they'd pick a game from a first round series as the "game of the decade". also that 2011 final was the year boston beat vancouver so even saying it must be a bruins fan making the choice isn't an explanation.

yeah game 7 of the 2011 finals or game 7 of last year's finals were bigger games essentially by definition. it makes no sense why they'd pick a game from a first round series as the "game of the decade". also that 2011 final was the year boston beat vancouver so even saying it must be a bruins fan making the choice isn't an explanation.

Yeah but both those finals game 7's while the stakes were as big as they can be weren't super competitive games, 4-0 and 4-1, whereas the chosen game went to OT and featured an epic comeback, so in terms of "great game" the 2013 game was a much better game.
Stakes were high as it was a game 7, but obviously not as high as a later round or of course the finals.

The cost of production is getting more and more worth it now that data is cheap and there’s the whole world on the internet to consume the product. I’m sure they don’t make loads, but I would suspect back in the day they’d be hemorrhaging money.

the issue isn't really how many people in general might watch it, it's who's willing to pay to watch or broadcast it. producing a live sports event at any level is for sure cheaper and easier than it used to be but it's still expensive af. my stepdad's been doing/teaching it for almost 40 years; he directed the broadcast for the world juniors when they were in halifax when i was a volunteer and it's an absurd amount of gear and people needed for 10+ hours every game day. granted that was 16 years ago now but the price of professional quality equipment hasn't really come down all that much since then.

anyways that was just a joke against the ECHL originally but i smoked a bowl since then (go raptors 12 game win streak franchise record [emoji41]) and apparently decided to overexplain it. i just watched the clip again and realized it's in jacksonville so the market is big enough that they probably have a local broadcaster to pay for/stream it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom