NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The difference is we are used to winning in St Louis (Remember the Cardinals are the winningest team in the NL, second only to the Yankees in the MLB). You didn't see arrests, You didn't see our fans booing the other teams line up (like Boston did), you saw joy and pure euphoria. The Blues may not win the Cup for awhile (but don't count them out). However even when they were losing Enterprise (Kiel) was always sold out. What I saw from the Boston fans, players and coaching was reprehensible. Chicago is just as bad. They think they always deserve to win (just because they have had success over a short period), and if they don't they are crass excuse makers and whiners.

Break >>>>>>

Cassidy to Belichick -- Help!!! Belichick to Cassidy "even I can't deflate a puck."

Greatest fans in the world, can't provide enough support to keep an NBA team or an NFL team.

Used to winning...a total of 17 combined Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series and NBA titles. Cardinals only have 3 of their11 in the last 50 years.

Boston by comparison has a total of 38 combined titles...and the team that can barely muster enough support for 2 of the 4 major sports is "used to winning".

The Blues, owners of "the best fans in hockey" according to you played to 90% capacity this season when they finally won the Cup. The Bruins played to 100% capacity and the Blackhawks, in a miserable year on the ice for them played to 107% capacity.

Is the weather fair as you ride the bandwagon around Missouri today?

The Blues may not win the Cup for awhile (but don't count them out).

giphy.gif

Greatest fans in the world, can't provide enough support to keep an NBA team or an NFL team.

Used to winning...a total of 17 combined Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series and NBA titles. Cardinals only have 3 of their11 in the last 50 years.

Boston by comparison has a total of 38 combined titles...and the team that can barely muster enough support for 2 of the 4 major sports is "used to winning".

The Blues, owners of "the best fans in hockey" according to you played to 90% capacity this season when they finally won the Cup. The Bruins played to 100% capacity and the Blackhawks, in a miserable year on the ice for them played to 107% capacity.

Is the weather fair as you ride the bandwagon around Missouri today?

Keil was always at capacity, you can't get a ticket, the Boston fans leave in the 3rd period, and plus the Boston and Chicago capacity are deceptive due corporate packages.

I will give KUDO's to the Hawks fans because they are diehards, but not the Cubs and the Sox.

Now for your edification:

First Missouri has an NFL Team, two MLB baseball teams, NHL and MLS and will soon get a second MLS team.

The Cardinals routinely lead the MLB in attendance

New England has a population of 14M and supports 1 NFL, 1 NHL, 1 MLB, 1 NBA, 1 MLS = so 5 Professional Franchises

Missouri has a population of 6M and lets say 1M from the Illinois burbs and Topeka and the KS burbs and supports 5 Professional franchises soon to be 6 and possibly 7. Not to mention an SEC Football team. Yeah I think we are pretty awesome.

So we support as many professional franchises as Boston (soon to be more) with half a little more than half the the population.

The Chicago Metro is 9.5M with another roughly 1M from NI, and the exburbs outside the metro. They support 2 MLB, 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1MLS, 1 NFL so they support 6 franchises with roughly 3M more than Missouri.

So to put it in numbers of pop vs franchises:
CHI 1.7M per franchise (not bad I wouldn't have guessed)
BOS 2.8M per franchise
MO 1.6 per franchise (soon to be 1.3 per franchise) and if you figure we also support an SEC football team (MU) and KU is in the Kansas city exburbs (which I included in the population count) we vastly outperform Boston and Chicago (yeah yeah BC and NW) but they play in lesser conferences)

celebrating your team's championship by pedantically comparing your city to other cities like an insecure little brother must be a st. louis thing.

celebrating your team's championship by pedantically comparing your city to other cities like an insecure little brother must be a st. louis thing.

No just standing up to those who cast shade on the great State of Missouri.

The Hawks/Blues rivalry has actually been very intense for the last decade and we eliminated them in the playoffs twice during that time frame. Despite falling short in the playoffs, they've been a very tough regular season opponent every year and it helps stir things up that Quenneville got us just a little further than he could take St Louis.

Putting it another way, imagine the garbage fire St Louis Cardinals fanbase getting wasted and trying to get into hockey. It's awful.

But yes, I think most Hawks fans miss Detroit being in the division. They're the big fish.

example 2, which is really ignorant because ST Louis puts more kids in the NHL draft then any city in the US. Just take the Stars - Blues Game - Maroon (from St Louis, Oakville high) beats the Stars keeper Bishop (from St Louis, Desmet Jesuit I believe)

In 2016 we put 5 kids in the first round. that's 5 out of 31 that's 16 percent from Little ole, non hockey ST Louis. Or even to give more perspective only 12 American born players were taken in the first round, 5 were from St Louis.

No just standing up to those who cast shade on the great State of Missouri.

so fucking what if one guy said he doesn't like your team almost a month ago. jesus, grow up. you came in with "SUCK IT CHICAGO!!!!" and also started "casting shade" on boston weeks after those comments so don't bother with the phony white knight act.

enjoy the fact that your team just won their first cup in your lifetime with a little class and quit with this petty dick-measuring bullshit dude.

Last edited:
so fucking what if one guy said he doesn't like your team almost a month ago. jesus, grow up. you came in with "SUCK IT CHICAGO!!!!" and also started "casting shade" on boston weeks after those comments so don't bother with the phony white knight act.

enjoy the fact that your team just won their first cup in your lifetime with a little class and quit with this petty dick-measuring bullshit dude.

Oh no this was the issue:

Originally Posted by LemonMelon
The Hawks/Blues rivalry has actually been very intense for the last decade and we eliminated them in the playoffs twice during that time frame. Despite falling short in the playoffs, they've been a very tough regular season opponent every year and it helps stir things up that Quenneville got us just a little further than he could take St Louis.

Putting it another way, imagine the garbage fire St Louis Cardinals fanbase getting wasted and trying to get into hockey. It's awful.

This crossed a line, one because STL is a huge hockey town with honestly the best youth programs in the country, two that insinuates that the Blues just happen to be in STL in the city knows nothing about Hockey. That is deeply insulting.

Three because you don't trash the Cardinals fan base. That crosses a line that's why he got a suck it Chicago.

example 2, which is really ignorant because ST Louis puts more kids in the NHL draft then any city in the US. Just take the Stars - Blues Game - Maroon (from St Louis, Oakville high) beats the Stars keeper Bishop (from St Louis, Desmet Jesuit I believe)

In 2016 we put 5 kids in the first round. that's 5 out of 31 that's 16 percent from Little ole, non hockey ST Louis. Or even to give more perspective only 12 American born players were taken in the first round, 5 were from St Louis.

https://medium.com/the-cities-tribune/hockeytowns-where-nhl-players-come-from-99707d7c2713

Top cities sending current players to the NHL....top 10 has 2 US cities, Minn/St Paul and Boston. (Plus "Detroit, ON" which I assume is a hodgepodge of US and Canadian players from the Detroit and Windsor areas.)

For cities with an NHL franchise, St Louis ranks 14th in players produced.

Last edited:
There's a confluence of factors that could make St Louis a hockey hub in the years to come, but my joking post was a poke at the city's allegiances more than a claim that there are no knowledgeable fans in the whole city. Obviously there are many loyal fans who stuck out an extraordinary championship drought.

So now the greatest fans in the world, the St Louis fans, count Kansas City as part of St Louis?

Chicago counts, Gary, southbend, Rockford, Joliet, parts of Michigan, Indiana etc.

Boston pulls, Maine, Mass, Vermont, RI, New Hampshire, Conn = 5 states

and I said Missouri,

https://medium.com/the-cities-tribune/hockeytowns-where-nhl-players-come-from-99707d7c2713

Top cities sending current players to the NHL....top 10 has 2 US cities, Minn/St Paul and Boston. (Plus "Detroit, ON" which I assume is a hodgepodge of US and Canadian players from the Detroit and Windsor areas.)

For cities with an NHL franchise, St Louis ranks 14th in players produced.

But # 1 in First rounders' (2016) we may produce less over all, but we produce some damn good ones.

Chicago counts, Gary, southbend, Rockford, Joliet, parts of Michigan, Indiana etc.

Boston pulls, Maine, Mass, Vermont, RI, New Hampshire, Conn = 5 states

and I said Missouri,

Sorry but Chicago fans are fans of Chicago teams.

Boston “pulls” those areas because Boston is small and unabatedly represents New England.

There's a confluence of factors that could make St Louis a hockey hub in the years to come, but my joking post was a poke at the city's allegiances more than a claim that there are no knowledgeable fans in the whole city. Obviously there are many loyal fans who stuck out an extraordinary championship drought.

No worries Brother, I work in Chicago a couple times a month, I start every meeting with how bout them Cards, or How bout them Blues (depending on the time of year). So trust me I live the rivalry. Trust me the response I get is chilly but it's a good opener. Question though where have all the White Sox fans gone, have the Cubs just sucked all the baseball oxygen out of the city?

I do enjoy Bears games however, Soldier field has an awesome vibe and a great venue (I never got into the Rams, they were a move in a leased team, I am a Chiefs Fan, I grew up in the middle of the State), and it is a blast watching Cubs Cards at Wrigley or Busch II.

I have been a lifelong Blues and Cardinals fans, they are first in my heart. Its been an awesome year for my Blues and hell the Cards are only 3.5 out despite playing poorly, maybe the Blues will inspire them.

An aside it was awesome watching U2 play at the Kiel (enterprise center) last May. I think they gave the Blues some good Mojo)

I actually blame Ozzy Osbourne for the curse he was arrested in the 80's wearing a blues sweater.

Peace brothers, no more poking fun

But # 1 in First rounders' (2016) we may produce less over all, but we produce some damn good ones.

If you’re genuinely trying to make a point about NHLers being produced out of St. Louis being notable, you’re crazy.

Mass, Minnesota, Michigan, and upstate New York are hands down the greatest producers. That’s not discrediting St. Louis as a good hockey city, but Missouri and the accompanying region takes backseats to many other regions in the US.

Sorry but Chicago fans are fans of Chicago teams.

Boston “pulls” those areas because Boston is small and unabatedly represents New England.

and STL is only about 350,000 (the City), Boston os what between 650-700,000 being from Missouri we support all our teams. In all reality if it was just STL they wouldn't have the resources or the Oxygen to support multiple Major League Franchises.

It will be interesting when STL gets its MLS team in 21. KC is also making a play for an NHL team, they have great facilities and could support an NHL or NBA franchise (its just that basketball as a whole isn't popular in MO, not even at the HS level, where Football, Wrestling, Soccer and Hockey pull more kids and KU is so good and 20 minutes from KC why would someone see a lesser tier NBA team when they go to KU games)

If you’re genuinely trying to make a point about NHLers being produced out of St. Louis being notable, you’re crazy.

Mass, Minnesota, Michigan, and upstate New York are hands down the greatest producers. That’s not discrediting St. Louis as a good hockey city, but Missouri and the accompanying region takes backseats to many other regions in the US.

Just saying almost half of the US born first rounders' in the 16 draft came from STL that's a fact.

and Brady Tkachuck taking 4th over all last year doesn't' count he grew up in STL and played for Chiminade as well as his Brother.

and STL is only about 350,000 (the City), Boston os what between 650-700,000 being from Missouri we support all our teams. In all reality if it was just STL they wouldn't have the resources or the Oxygen to support multiple Major League Franchises.

It will be interesting when STL gets its MLS team in 21. KC is also making a play for an NHL team, they have great facilities and could support an NHL or NBA franchise (its just that basketball as a whole isn't popular in MO, not even at the HS level, where Football, Wrestling, Soccer and Hockey pull more kids and KU is so good and 20 minutes from KC why would someone see a lesser tier NBA team when they go to KU games)

What’s a Major League Franchise? So proper :0

You missed the point though. Boston is small but has no competition. St. Louis exists in a region where multiple markets overlap. I’m not really following your population comparison though. Chicago fans aren’t traditionally St. Louis fans. They’re Chicago fans. Might have some fans in Chicago, but it’s not like... a battleground market. They’re Chicago fans.

Just saying almost half of the US born first rounders' in the 16 draft came from STL that's a fact.

and Brady Tkachuck taking 4th over all last year doesn't' count he grew up in STL and played for Chiminade as well as his Brother.

I mean OK... that’s true. What’s your point? 2016 was definitely a year starting to show the echo of where former hockey folk have sprouted their families up. Most of those players as youths opted for CHL juniors or joined USNDT, which is predominantly in Michigan. So, sure, Keith Tkachuck’s kids are good at hockey. Where’s Keith from? Massachusetts. Where did Keith do his major-junior equivalent in the US? A Massachusetts high school. Where did he do development thereafter? BU. Matthew Tkachuck is as much from St. Louis as Jakob Chychrun is a Floridian. Early years? Sure. But folks like him or Tkachuck entered the NHL via the CHL major junior system, USNDT, or the NCAA system. Hockey development in places like Arizona, St. Louis, Florida, etc. etc. is growing, but it still has a long way to go before it is comparable to the hockey hives of the US.

What’s a Major League Franchise? So proper :0

You missed the point though. Boston is small but has no competition. St. Louis exists in a region where multiple markets overlap. I’m not really following your population comparison though. Chicago fans aren’t traditionally St. Louis fans. They’re Chicago fans. Might have some fans in Chicago, but it’s not like... a battleground market. They’re Chicago fans.

I mean OK... that’s true. What’s your point? 2016 was definitely a year starting to show the echo of where former hockey folk have sprouted their families up. Most of those players as youths opted for CHL juniors or joined USNDT, which is predominantly in Michigan. So, sure, Keith Tkachuck’s kids are good at hockey. Where’s Keith from? Massachusetts. Where did Keith do his major-junior equivalent in the US? A Massachusetts high school. Where did he do development thereafter? BU. Matthew Tkachuck is as much from St. Louis as Jakob Chychrun is a Floridian. Early years? Sure. But folks like him or Tkachuck entered the NHL via the CHL major junior system, USNDT, or the NCAA system. Hockey development in places like Arizona, St. Louis, Florida, etc. etc. is growing, but it still has a long way to go before it is comparable to the hockey hives of the US.

I believe Keith is Canadian orginally

Pretty sure the Tkachucks (kids) went to HS in St Louis (Chaminade HS) and played for the Blues AAA developmental program.

"After playing for the St. Louis AAA Blues U16 and committing to the USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USNDPT), Tkachuk agreed to play for Boston University

Both Tkachuk brothers attended Chaminade College Preparatory School

even if you take out the Tkachucks from the 16 draft, that makes ST Louis 4 out of 11 of American born players taken first round.

Back
Top Bottom