NHL 2014-2015 Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a shame because I really like Kessel but he clearly is not working out here in Toronto. People want him to be a leader when that isn't what he does and I don't have a problem with it honestly. It just really sucks because I can see him lighting up the league when we trade him to a team where a. he isn't the center of attention and b. he has a better supporting cast.

What do you like about him?

He's a lazy and entitled prick with a bad attitude IMO. Boasts pridefully at the beginning of every season about how he spent no time playing hockey or conditioning, which also means he returns looking like he parked himself at Dunkin Donuts.

Can't wait for him to be traded.

30+ goal scorers do not grow on trees and he was handling the pressures of playing in Toronto rather well until this shit-show of a season started to go downhill.

Don't get me wrong, he's not the greatest player ever but he is one of the most talented goal scorers I have seen in a long time.

I'll say it again... the fact that he's fought David Booth in practice probably confirms any suspicions of him being a tard.

I've always liked Phil Kessel and rooted for him to succeed, but he's been such a wiener this year that I have a hard time wishing him success anymore, to be honest.

He's a good hockey player but I've heard so many accounts of how he slacks off in practice, refuses to stay in shape during the offseason, refuses to lead when he is expected to lead (he may not be a leader in the "rally the troops and will them to win" kind of way but even still, in the corporate world if you accept a job/sign a contract for a job where you're expected to manage or lead people - which was expected of him and made very clear when he came to Toronto - and fail at it through laziness and incompetence, it does not and should not get brushed off as suddenly being irrelevant or "that's just not him, it's no big deal")...it all adds up to a bad taste being left in my mouth. Sure he's a good hockey player and he can score goals but I've played hockey before and those kind of guys can be not worth the hassle of dealing with their constant bullshit.

The final straw for me was when he whined about the media being unfair to him and Dion Phaneuf, and claimed that they're doing their best even though they were in the midst of a huge losing streak and sitting nearly dead last. If I'm fucking up my job on all fronts and get called into my boss's office, and then claim that this shit job I'm doing is actually my best effort, I'm going to be shown the door pretty quickly, and probably be laughed at on my way out. Him saying that felt a bit like a slap in the face, even though I do agree that the Toronto media can be over the top with the stupidity sometimes (that whole "saluting the fans" controversy earlier this year was a crock of made up shit).

Long story short, I've come to realize this year that Kessel certainly won't be the player he has the potential to be in Toronto. Maybe a different coach/system/environment will make it a different story, but he can't stay in Toronto another year and continue to phone it in. I think judging from recent interviews he's checked out too, despite what he says he really seems to be done with the idea of playing hard and doing his best to succeed here. He and Phaneuf both have to go, and the sooner the better for both the players and the team. The question to me really seems to be what kind of return you'll get for him, he definitely didn't help his trade value at all this year.

Nonis gone as well as the coaching staff. Here we go again.

While this can only be a good thing, the way people at work are acting like Babcock and McDavid are already signed to hundred-year contracts and a cup within the next 5 years is all but guaranteed now is getting really annoying.

I do kinda feel bad for Horachek though. He didn't stand a chance in hell and now he'll probably never get another shot at a head coaching job because of it.

I agree, I honestly don't know why they just didn't clean house last off season and save us all the trouble...

My Leaf-fan pessimism is setting in and I'm getting the feeling in my gut we're going to end up with the #5 pick at the draft, because Leafs.

While this can only be a good thing, the way people at work are acting like Babcock and McDavid are already signed to hundred-year contracts and a cup within the next 5 years is all but guaranteed now is getting really annoying.

I do kinda feel bad for Horachek though. He didn't stand a chance in hell and now he'll probably never get another shot at a head coaching job because of it.

I wouldn't say that about Horachek. He was interim here, too. Keep in mind, he was an AHL head coach. He probably will find himself a more permanent position on a bench now. Work from there.

Ashley only recorded 3 hours of that incredible Blackhawks win. :tsk: Never underestimate NHL playoff overtime.

Seriously though, it's just game 1 of the first round. Hopefully there will be more wins ahead to appreciate. That one was nuts.

Last edited:
Not a lot I could have done. Even recording an hour over wouldn't've caught the end of that one. The risk you take not watching live, I suppose.

Not a lot of players I've ever seen so drastically different between regular and post-season as Corey Crawford.

:lmao: All I can do is laugh. Back home with a new goalie for game 3. Hopefully Darling is as terrific in game 3 as he was in game 1.

What in the sweet hell happened to Corey Crawford in the 3rd period? It would have been 4 goals that period if the first one hadn't been called back for "incidental contact". I know the Hawks were a chic sleeper pick to win the West once Kane was announced to be coming back but I'm glad I avoided them because of their goaltending.

Incidentally (see what I did there? :wink: ), I picked Anaheim to beat Tampa in the final, feel free to hold me to it.

CS8dlFV.jpg

Tremendous game, so much fun. We never once fell behind and Scott Darling really upped his game once we went up 3-2.

This series has been great so far. Each year I get a little bit more involved in watching this sport. I don't have everything down, yet, but I can't deny that each game has been a thrill for me.

Back
Top Bottom