NHL 2008-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Wilson so far, when a team doesn't perform well I really don't think it's as simple as blame the coach or blame certain players or whatever, it's a combined lack of effort or direction from all involved.

Except, perhaps, in Pittsburgh's case?

That team has been on an unbelievable role since they fired Therrien...

Btw, Montreal chokers? Really? First time I hear that one!
(but then again I lived in Ottawa until last summer - epitome of chokers)

Or the St. Louis Blues? They've been tearing it up since they came back & won that game against Boston. The Nucks/Blues series will be fun to watch!

I agree with you elevated, as sometimes you can't blame just one side, the players or the coaches or management.

fuck yeah the st louis blues, best record in the nhl since jan 3rd, 9-1-1 in their last 11 when they had to win to make the playoffs

and they will be adding paul kariya to the lineup

Montreal chokers? Really? Maybe last year when they finished first.

If you need to see the definition of choke look no further than the Sharks, Sens, and Bruins.

EAST
Boston 4 v Montreal 2
Washington 4 v NY Rangers 3
New Jersey 4 v Carolina 2
Pittsburgh 4 v Philadelphia 2

Boston 3 v Pittsburgh 4
Washington 2 v New Jersey 4

New Jersey 4 v Pittsburgh 2

WEST
San Jose 4 v Anaheim 1
Detroit 4 v Columbus 2
Vancouver 4 v St. Louis 2
Chicago 4 v Calgary 2

San Jose 4 v Chicago 2
Detroit 4 v Vancouver 2

San Jose 4 v Detroit 3

San Jose 4 v New Jersey 2

Montreal chokers? Really? Maybe last year when they finished first.

If you need to see the definition of choke look no further than the Sharks, Sens, and Bruins.

Nah, Pittsburgh threw their last game so they wouldn't have to face Philly so really, Montreal should have ended up second.
Did anyone really think they had the talent to go past the second round? I didn't and don't know many who did.

Congratulations to our resident Islanders fans NSW and Beav for winning the NHL Draft Lottery. With a choice between Tavares and Hedman, there's no way anyone - even the Islanders - can screw this one up. :wink:

Seriously, it is my hope that whomever is chosen rejuvenates the franchise like Crosby did for Pittsburgh. The NHL needs a strong team on the Island. :up:

Mr. Pryck is also an Islander's fan, fyi.

I kinda would prefer Hedman, to be honest. I keep hearing great things about Tavares, but I have this feeling he's not going to live up the hype. But whatever. It's not like he can make the team worse.

Congratulations to our resident Islanders fans NSW and Beav for winning the NHL Draft Lottery. With a choice between Tavares and Hedman, there's no way anyone - even the Islanders - can screw this one up. :wink:

Seriously, it is my hope that whomever is chosen rejuvenates the franchise like Crosby did for Pittsburgh. The NHL needs a strong team on the Island. :up:

Well they could trade it for Ryan Smyth!

Yeah, I mentioned in my predictions on my blog today that there is a reason that the Habs traded away Huet....and Theodore....

...when will the Caps learn that the Habs scraps are not the answer in the playoffs.

Yeah, I mentioned in my predictions on my blog today that there is a reason that the Habs traded away Huet....and Theodore....

...when will the Caps learn that the Habs scraps are not the answer in the playoffs.

Wasn't Huet really good in the last dozen games before the playoffs last year? I forget how he actually did after that, though.
What are your predictions?

Oh, you can have Carey Price next year if you like! :wink:

I thought Huet played really well for the Caps last year...he wasn't the reason they lost IMO.

Yeah, Huet did well last year for getting 35-45 shots against per game, there's only so much a goalie can do in that kind of situation though. They won something like 12 of their last 14 to win the division on the last day, but it was an extremely weak division (The Canes came in second and didn't even make the playoffs as far as I can remember). The Caps lost last year due to lack of defence, which they addressed a bit last offseason.

I like Washington, and I'd love to see Ovechkin deep in the playoffs so I'm rooting for them to come out of the East.

I would seriously be very upset if Dion is part of the ownership group. Words cannot do justice to properly express how much I despise that woman. I don't care who buys the team, so long as Dion is not a part of any ownership group.:down:

:lol:

So here in Halifax the big thing in recent years has been trying to get big name concerts to come and play in the Commons, which is a park in the middle of the city. The Stones played there in 2006, and after that we thought we could get anybody. Rumours of AC/DC, U2, The Who, Paul McCartney, and just about anyone else you can think of flew in the winter after the big Stones concert. They would usually last a week or so then someone at the promotion company or the city council would drop the ball and things would fall through. Anyways, in June 2007 the city began dropping hints of a huge concert on the Commons in September. Two weeks of speculation followed in the media, even U2 was rumored to be coming (in July 2007 :lol: ). Two days before the official announcement date, the local news paper got the scoop that this massive, world-shattering act that was coming to grace our city was...Celine Dion.

After a collective "what the fuck?" from the city, and the city council acting like they'd landed a reunion of all four original Beatles live at the official unveiling on the six o'clock news, people started to laugh. Both major daily papers in the city printed multiple pages of angry letters from readers every day. Folks were pissed that all summer the city kept screwing deals with great bands (AC/DC and The Who were all but booked to play the Commons, but the deal fell through because the city couldn't find another park for senior league baseball on the day of the show), and then they acted like music industry kingpins when they landed Celine Dion, on her first tour since the 90s and fresh off playing daily to Vegas crowds. The promoters predicted a crowd of 100,000 at a Celine Dion show, of a city population of about 400,000 (they predicted the same number for the Stones, sold about 65,000 tickets and had about 45,000 bodies at the show because it was an absolutely horrendous day). They were pissed that they'd bought into they hype that seemed to be promising a world-shattering show. The papers ran with it. Every day seemed to bring new editorials and cartoons mocking Celine Dion/her music/Titanic/city council/the promoters/the mayor. After a week or so of this, the news broke: the Celine Dion concert was cancelled because she was playing in Quebec City the next night and the schedule wouldn't allow a Halifax stop after all. Two days later, on an interview with the local six o'clock news, Rene Angelil said straight up that it was the media backlash that caused the cancellation of the show. Some people were upset, but the majority of us thought it was hilarious. We didn't get any concerts on the Commons last year because of it (a manager for the Who said specifically that they wouldn't play Halifax because he didn't want the band to "get the Celine treatment"), but we still get decent acts coming to our ancient and tiny rink downtown, and Kiss is coming to play the Commons this summer.

Long story short, when the news broke that Celine was thinking of buying the Habs, 40% of us thought it was one of the funniest things we'd ever read. The other 60% are Habs fans and are having trouble deciding whether to scream or cry.

ETA: [/storytime] :reject:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom